Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-17-2017, 03:46 PM   #21

It gets down to what you absolutely need to have operational and what you can get by without until you get to civilization. I look at it as the most important things are stuff that can deal with breakages and you either need to temporarily hold things, together, apart, closed or open until you can get to a better place to fix it. Tapes, glue, zip ties etc.

The way I think about it is, yeah I can carry a spare water pump but do I really need it. I usually have water containers with me so if the pump gave out, I would still have access to water. Yeah, things like showers go bye bye, but through tent camping experience we can deal with it for a few days.

The things I think about most are what could prevent me from getting the trailer on the road. I am always concerned with hitch parts and pieces, always knowing where they are and maybe having spare pins and whatnot for the small parts that can get lost. Also basic electrical repair stuff like connectors and fuses. Boy it would suck if something happens electrical wise that would prevent me from raising or lowering the tongue jack to get it on the hitch.

I figure as long as the wheels roll and I can get it hitched to the truck then I can tape, glue, zip tie down anything that needs to be fixed and is flapping in the wind. Then I can get it to a place where either I or a dealer can take time to properly repair.
joeuncool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 04:22 PM   #22

Not too many spare parts per se but basic tools and duct tape, electrical tape, volt meter, fuses, electrical wire and wire nuts, super glue and epoxy, WD40, some rope, and tools to repair/replace pex tubing.
nicholsm4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 04:52 PM   #23

My thoughts:
What you may want to carry depends on a few things. Are you in a towable or a MH? Are you full-timing or just out "camping"?
I look to have the stuff needed to Mcgyver problems, not necessarily fix them permanently - I'll handle that when I get home. Since I have a towable, the critical part of my rig is the truck - need to be sure I can get back to civilization, so depending on likely hood of breaking I may have some parts (temp fan belt, etc.)

I will have a spare tire for both truck and trailer.

After that, what most folks have said: basic tools, bottle jack, zip ties, duct, electrical, Teflon, and gaffer tape, eternabond, fuses, a few pex fittings, air pump, etc. Don't see why I should buy a bunch of costly items in case one might break....
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 04:59 PM   #24

I carry lots of tools, tapes, glue/epoxy, wire, screws etc. What I don't have, there's always a fellow camper with a tool box larger than mine. All I know is that as a solo female traveler, I have been forced to become even handier than I ever wanted to. (I was always handy doing fixer uppers for years so that was a big plus, but no mechanical knowledge.)
mtnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 06:00 PM   #25

To other's lists, I'd add Vise Grip pliers, regular and needle nose style - (I have crimped brake lines off before), JB Weld and PB Blaster to get stuff apart AND back together once you have and a few ratchet tie-downs straps in various lengths. (Just used one to engage bead on tire rim) A come-a-long and a Handi-man Jack if you can afford the weight cause you can lift the tongue with one. Silver/Blue Tarp from Sam's to crawl around on or save your roof if some branch takes a dive. DW said to add shotgun (snakes)......
Old Forester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 06:36 PM   #26

Send a message via Yahoo to jallen02
Extra Spare Parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HangDiver View Post
With the winter season coming on, winterizing complete, (I may still de-winterize and go camping), I wonder about stocking extra parts to have on hand in case of a failure. We boondock a lot and I can see the advantages to having cheap parts on hand. Water pump? Dino water heater circut board? I always bring tools and repair materials with me on camping trips.

I'm curious what extra "parts" you bring along?

Rich J.
Do you carry a extra spare tire on a wheel that fits your trailer?
Sure come in handy for me a couple of times.
jallen02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 09:40 PM   #27

I boondock a lot so I carry a full set of tools, volt meter, 2 spare tires, trailer drum and 2 sets of bearings,trailer water pump ,spare tv on the back wall, spare 12v dvd player, elect plugs to repair cords, a whole lot of small stuff to make repairs with ,too much to list. I do all my own repairs as I hate paying for some thing I can do.
moondog2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 09:51 PM   #28

Basic hand tools and electric impact gun incase I have a tire issue, (we have a generator) that helps,and a warm sleeping bag.
jeepin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 11:12 PM   #29
Scoundrel

I appreciate all the responses. I'm one of those "be prepared" guys and thought that I was doing it right. But after reading the responses here its apparent to me I can do better.

Thank you everyone,
Rich J.

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 02:09 AM   #30

All the above, a good mix of tools and parts will make life on the road easier if only for the piece of mind.
I'd like to add two items. I understand you boondock a lot, but a $1.00 bag of hose washers belongs in everyone's little bag of tricks. They're always falling out of my fresh water and rinse hoses, good to have plenty of spares.
Item two?

https://www.amazon.com/Starter-GOOLO...70_&dpSrc=srch

This is actually more for the tow vehicle, but I keep one in my truck at all times. I've never needed it myself, but I've used it to bail out one friend and two strangers so far. Far easier and safer than jumper cables, worth every penny.
DavidBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 02:34 AM   #31

Too much stuff carried

I carry two spare brake pads, two bearing sets and grease as well as the basic tools....nah, I take a load of tools, fuses, hold down straps, multi-meter, light bulbs (LED),sockets, cable ties, wire (various colors), colored electrical tape, wire numbers, shrink tape, shrink tubing, wire cutters, soldering iron, solder, wire strippers, portable air compressor, latex gloves and more
chuckyb9876 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 10:53 AM   #32
Aging Junior Member

Duct Tape, Baling Wire, Spare Water Pump.
Jeff95814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 03:37 PM   #33
Senior

Item two?

https://www.amazon.com/Starter-GOOLO...70_&dpSrc=srch

This is actually more for the tow vehicle, but I keep one in my truck at all times. I've never needed it myself, but I've used it to bail out one friend and two strangers so far. Far easier and safer than jumper cables, worth every penny.[/QUOTE]

X2

Although i carry 2 sets of jumper cables I have been helped twice when I needed a jump start with a friendly stranger that had one of these. DW wants one for ourselves.
sailski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 03:56 PM   #34

You all know this was only a matter of time:

DavidBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 04:47 PM   #35
Novice Travel Trailer Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidBo View Post
You all know this was only a matter of time:

Oh that’s [emoji38]

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BRDS Travel Trailer
2018 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 LTZ
benchmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 03:37 PM   #36

Great List of Take-alongs

After reading all the replies, I added one item to my take-alongs list.

One 'little' item I didn't see that I always take along is a small bottle of Elmer's glue. The same stuff that you see in all school supplies lists.

I use Elmer's for those screws that come loose in the thin wood-veneer found in most RVs.

Method 1: Apply a drop of glue (just enough to barely fill the hole), let it dry 24 hours, install screw to just 'snug.'

Method 2: Apply a drop of glue to the screw thread. Install the screw to almost snug. Let dry without touching for 24 hours. Snug the screw or just let it be.

Cleanup is easy with a damp cloth or paper towel.

After the glue is cured it is water proof.
McCormickJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 04:22 PM   #37

Because we like remote travel I carry a bit of repair material and tools. Small on board air compressor ( runs off generator), 4" grinder, 1/2 electric impact, torque wrench, a good supply of electrical ( fuses, circuit breakers, wiring , connectors). I carry a tool box with a selection of hand tools, one large combination wrench to remedy a loose ball, a multimeter, Bulldog tape, duct tape, an organizer with a selection of screws, bolts, small brackets etc. Of course slide lubricant. Call me overprepared but because we are often on the road 3 to 4 months at a time, I like to be able to stay ahead of anything that's going on. We also do a lot of off road trailering ( gravel surface) which can present unique problems. After over 40 years at this, kinda what I have found works😁
Filterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 05:32 PM   #38
Always Learning

After reading another post about Schwintek slide issues and being at my in-laws, I have 2 extra slide motors back at their house in case one fails, they can overnight it to me.
Old 11-28-2017, 12:02 PM   #39

Extra Parts

The one part i didn't see mentioned is an extra cap for the dump pipe, don't want to caught without one.
RacerRalph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 07:56 PM   #40

I see where Eternabond tape was listed. I carry a tube of non-self leveling polyurethane sealant and a caulk gun also. Not all leaks can be taped.

I carry an assortment of sewer hose adapters and connections and one spare complete hose in case I break my primary.

Not a problem with boondocking, I understand.

What about little items such as hitch pin, stabilizer bar hardware, receiver pin, etc in case of loss? I throw a few extras in my parts box.

Last thing - if I have a flat on my TT, I don't want to wait for an hour or more for some road assist company. I got a 20-ton hydraulic jack with all the various blocks, etc I need to jack up half of my 8000 lb trailer and change my tire. I then tried it all in my driveway on a pleasant afternoon to work out the details. More challenging than it seems.
DABoat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
parts