Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-16-2017, 09:18 PM   #1
Scoundrel

What Spare Parts Do You Carry?

With the winter season coming on, winterizing complete, (I may still de-winterize and go camping), I wonder about stocking extra parts to have on hand in case of a failure. We boondock a lot and I can see the advantages to having cheap parts on hand. Water pump? Dino water heater circut board? I always bring tools and repair materials with me on camping trips.

I'm curious what extra "parts" you bring along?

Rich J.

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 09:39 PM   #2
Who Dares, Wins

Basic hand tools, multi meter, fuses, bailing wire and duck tape.. Not much else I will carry along. If it breaks on the road I can either find it locally or Amazon Prime it. If it is that catastrophic (needing circuit boards and stuff) I prob have bigger issues.

When I Jeeped offroad, I carried air tools (run from an onboard air pump), spare axle shafts, wheel studs, tire plugs, u-joints.... In the end a metric Sh## ton of stuff... Never broke much and never needed much more than a few basic items.. In the end a waste of space and added weight. Not saying being prepared in not important but unless you are mounting a mission to Antarctica I do not know what I would need to ensure my survival on the road.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 09:59 PM   #3
Kasual Kamper

I agree. You have a trailer, so you can probably drop it and drive to wherever you need to get parts and if it's drastic, take the trailer home.
JayArras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 10:07 PM   #4
Scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayArras View Post
I agree. You have a trailer, so you can probably drop it and drive to wherever you need to get parts and if it's drastic, take the trailer home.
Not so easy out west, especially boon docking. It's not uncommon to read a sign on an Interstate that says "No Services Next 110 Miles", let alone trying to find a part for a TT.
I guess thats the point to my question above that I neglected to say.

Wooden Spoon Survivor
Old 11-16-2017, 10:12 PM   #5
Who Dares, Wins

But if it is that remote can you even make the repairs... There is only so much space for stuff

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 10:35 PM   #6
Scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
But if it is that remote can you even make the repairs... There is only so much space for stuff
Yea I'm not looking to do major rebuilds - just wondering what makes sense to carry along thats not to expensive to buy and keep on hand. I bring tools, screws, bolts, 12v air compressor, eternabond tape, fuses, bulbs (tail lights). Wondering if I'm missing something that you've thought to carry along. I've been through plenty of stretches of this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6c1a615a11be1b80e05284243a61cab3--roadside-emergency-kit-emergency-preparedness-food.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	153.4 KB
ID:	156567  

Wooden Spoon Survivor
Old 11-16-2017, 10:39 PM   #7

Spare fuses, half dozen small hose clamps, basic tools, cordless drill, small bit assortment, wire, duct tape, electrical tape, pack of zip ties...long/short/heavy duty, multimeter, 12v test light. Figure if pump goes, I climb under and get water from the FW tank drain. I try to think of ways to improvise if something should break and I can't get to parts right away.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 01:24 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
pack of zip ties.
This. So much. I can't tell you how many times having zip ties have saved my hind end. I don't mean to be blasphemous, but they've been more useful than duct tape!
jgriffin7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 01:36 PM   #9

In addition to a basic tool set, I carry replacement radiator hoses, belts and assortment of screws, nuts and bolts and fuses. The hoses and belts are usually the old ones that were replaced prior. If not, the new ones are stored. Extra water hoses and extension cords. An assortment of battery powered lights and aa batteries.
bobm253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 01:48 PM   #10
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
Basic hand tools, multi meter, fuses, bailing wire and duck tape.. Not much else I will carry along. If it breaks on the road I can either find it locally or Amazon Prime it. If it is that catastrophic (needing circuit boards and stuff) I prob have bigger issues.

When I Jeeped offroad, I carried air tools (run from an onboard air pump), spare axle shafts, wheel studs, tire plugs, u-joints.... In the end a metric Sh## ton of stuff... Never broke much and never needed much more than a few basic items.. In the end a waste of space and added weight. Not saying being prepared in not important but unless you are mounting a mission to Antarctica I do not know what I would need to ensure my survival on the road.
DUCT TAPE - The handyman's secret weapon!
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 01:56 PM   #11

We carry spare water pump, spare gas regulator, fuses, tapes, sealants, lubes, tools, grinder, air pump, chain saw, hand saws, 20-ton bottle jack
Only here once - do it baby!
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 02:09 PM   #12
jkoenig24

An extra of each filter & belts.
jkoenig24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 02:26 PM   #13
Broken Toe

I carry more tools and supplies (Zip ties, tape, cord, fuses, electric wiring and connectors, etc) than I do parts. No matter what breaks, you almost always need tool, but you could carry 90% of the parts necessary to build a new one and your are still SOL if one of the 10% parts you are not carrying breaks.

Most of the time, you can get the part reasonably quick, but without tools, you are up a creek. There is very little that can go wrong that I can't deal with using just my toolbag, and my truck spit its rear driveshaft out on me 200 miles from home once.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 02:30 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post
I carry more tools and supplies (Zip ties, tape, cord, fuses, electric wiring and connectors, etc) than I do parts. No matter what breaks, you almost always need tool, but you could carry 90% of the parts necessary to build a new one and your are still SOL if one of the 10% parts you are not carrying breaks.

Most of the time, you can get the part reasonably quick, but without tools, you are up a creek.
Tim
X2
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 02:32 PM   #15
Always Learning

On edit, X3 to cowracer.

I'm not the handiest person. When things get tough enough, I call in help in the form of friends and mobile RV services. But, I have fulltimed in the rig for a spell - east and west and have had my share of random issues.

Tools-wise, I care a basic assortment of power and hand tools. Along with a multimeter that I'm still not 100% certain I'm using it right 1/2 the time.

Supplies, I carry an assortment of screws/bolts/lubes/sealants/etc. I have about 6' of Eternabond tape that was gifted to me by TURBS. I'll third Zip ties- especially big 24" ones are super handy. I held my awning closed so we could travel until I could get a better diagnosis and motor replaced.

Spare parts, not a whole heck of a lot. In fact, other than fuses- I think it's fair to say that I carry just about nothing. While this might surprise you (or might not, given my level of idiocy), there are very few systems that are catastrophic to proceeding and require an immediate fix right now. And generally, if something falls into that category- it's above my pay grade.

Now, after a couple of experiences- I think I may add a couple of specific spare parts:
  • dino control boards for our Dometic fridge (I recently did a mod and blew out a fuse on it; for a hot minute- I had visions of losing everything in the fridge);
  • in the same vein, if I winter/cold weather camped more- maybe a control board for the furnace
  • not spare parts per say, but some method of supporting the axle in a catastrophic tire/wheel event (I read people carrying some kind of chain but don't quite know what that means)
Old 11-17-2017, 02:38 PM   #16

I add epoxy putty and Eternabond tape. The epoxy tape will permanently seal water pipes, hoses...just about anything. The Eternabond tape to seal any tear or puncture in the roof.
Never Enough Time Camping!!
ben31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 02:52 PM   #17

I carry a bright red toolbox. Whenever I am in the mood for some company I place it on the picnic table open the cover and wait for my fellow campers to come along and ask if they can help.
Chaplain Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 03:10 PM   #18
Recently new!

Send a message via AIM to Paulie1138
Chaplin, Great idea, gave me a chuckle....as I have been drawn into more than one camp with people looking at their toolbox with a lost look......
Loving wife, R.I.P., 6/6/19
and Mason the always dirty dog! R.I.P, 2/19
Paulie1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 03:17 PM   #19

I ain't sure if i'm in on this thread yet, but an assortment of fuses, tapes and sealants, hand tools, wire and solderless terminals, chicken tongues(zip-ties), misc PEX fittings(crimper, clamps and a couple pcs. of 1/2" tube), compressor and flat supplies, lubes and grease gun, electric meter, water filter if applicable, extension cords(15 and 30/50 amp), light bulbs(various), lug nuts and studs, wheel bearings and seals.

all that should be around 100 #

I will keep thinking
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 03:30 PM   #20
Broken Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
On edit, X3 to cowracer.

Tools-wise, I care a basic assortment of power and hand tools.
I have enough tools with me at all times that I could pull the engine out of my truck if I can find a strong enough tree branch to hook to.

My "little bag of tricks" has bailed me out many times, but I find I wind up bailing others out just as much. No worries. glad to help.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
parts