Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2020, 10:18 AM   #1

Wires across the corner of the solar panel.

Cleaned all the dirt off the 100w panel this morning and I have a question about the panels wires crossing the corner. This is a factory installed panel so is this normal?

I am thinking with vibrations the wires will scuff the cell on the panel,what do you think?

Old 02-24-2020, 12:33 PM   #2

Scuffing of both wire and panel could certainly occur and is to be avoided. Also, the wire, while small, is still providing shade to some elements of the PV panel. Something else to be avoided.

From what I can see int he pics I'd relocate the controller and secure the wires so they can't "flap in the breeze" and are not routed over the panel in any manner..

Even if the installation doesn't cause any issues it just plain looks "unprofessional".

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 12:45 PM   #3
Site Team

They will reduce the output of the cells they cross. It will be more than you think.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 02:47 PM   #4

I was thinking I could slide the panel back 3 inches and reuse 4 of the 6 holes plug 2 and create 2 more. I guess the question is moving it worth 2 more holes in the roof?
Old 02-25-2020, 02:11 PM   #5

I'd secure the wires where they are so they can't flutter (much) and leave them. 2 more holes are worse than a wire shadow that size IMHO. Good luck!
Dirt Sifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 03:43 PM   #6

With the present configuration, does the panel provide the output you expect? Minor shadows can have a major effect on the system’s performance. Here is one of many videos that address this issue on YouTube...
Hope this helps!
Old 02-25-2020, 03:43 PM   #7

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&sour...82749208720868
Old 02-25-2020, 08:38 PM   #8

Based on the video shared by Rkloud9, the shadow created by the wires crossing the solar panel will have minimal effect on the panel output. I would lengthen the cables, enough to go around the corner of the panel, and secure them to the roof with some Dicor. Better than drilling more holes.
Old 02-25-2020, 09:07 PM   #9

I found a video on a guy upgrading to 4-100w hard panels and removing the 100w flex panel on a Geo-Pro and not only are there 6 screws the panel is glued to the roof. He tore 3 holes in the roof membrane.Best to leave the panel in place.
I would agree after watching the video the shadow from 2 wires is minuscule compared to his hand covering half the cells.

I have not had a chance to to really test the panel it is working and the battery's are topped up. I had the trailer plugged in for 2 days after I brought it home. I am doing a drain test I unplugged the trailer 24 hours ago to see if there are any significant drains.
The monitor stills shows 90% and we had 3 inches of snow last night so the panel has been covered all day. Going for 48hr.
Old 02-26-2020, 09:25 AM   #10
Recently new!

Send a message via AIM to Paulie1138
Wire, Wire everywhere.....

If the panel provides your basic needs, leave it alone. While the loss of output is minimal, you want everything you can get with a simple fix. I would suggest as another posted, extend the wires and dicor them in place, call it good. If you can find the installer, smack s/he upside the head!
Loving wife, R.I.P., 6/6/19
and Mason the always dirty dog! R.I.P, 2/19
Paulie1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 04:13 PM   #11

So FR is using flexible panels for the factory installed solar? Is that what I read??? I would not use flexible panels as they have been proven to have a very short life span and can have overheating issues. I had heard that FR was now installing panels and this is the first time I had seen their work. Some people may have a different opinion, but if you do a quick Google search on flexible panels you will have lots of reading.
Lundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 06:57 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundy View Post
So FR is using flexible panels for the factory installed solar? Is that what I read??? I would not use flexible panels as they have been proven to have a very short life span and can have overheating issues. I had heard that FR was now installing panels and this is the first time I had seen their work. Some people may have a different opinion, but if you do a quick Google search on flexible panels you will have lots of reading.
Looking at the spec sheet the panel seems pretty efficient 21%.

https://gpelectric.com/wp-content/up...X-100_RevD.pdf
Old 02-26-2020, 08:30 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discovery View Post
Looking at the spec sheet the panel seems pretty efficient 21%.

https://gpelectric.com/wp-content/up...X-100_RevD.pdf
Take a look at the average flex panel after a few years of UV exposure. They often get so cloudy it's amazing ANY light is passing onto the PV elements.

Like expecting dirty rigid panels to perform.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 12:24 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundy View Post
Sadly, most brands are using self adhesive flexible solar panels for OEM installations... they are cheap and easy to install. The good news is that if they do a poor job, or the panels crap out, at least no holes are drilled in the roof. I have read of several folks who have had failures, and have just mounted new, better quality panels over the top of the old ones. Regarding the flexible panels, better ones are being developed... check out this video from the RV Geeks... pretty cool!

https://youtu.be/beS2qs9GkMo

Tags
solar, solar panel