Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2018, 07:53 AM   #21
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecastle View Post
Also will mention. The castle rocks are fine, if you treat them right. I towed from Houston to Rocky Mountain national park without any tire issues.

The reason tires blow out is people underinflate them for the load, overload them and drive at too high of a speed. Also scrubbing them when turning hard is hard on the tires, and hitting rocks etc when backing them in. See a lot of people not towing level too which overloads the front axle on the trailer leading to blowouts. Can’t tell you how many times I see people not towing level or running clearly under inflated tires. I point it out to folks when at gas stations when I see them. Also watch for sun rot. This applies to any trailer tire, and your tow vehicle. See folks all the time with under inflated tow vehicle tires....

I’ve had my trailer maxed out at 5300lbs, with the tires inflated to 50psi and running at 70mph in 105 weather in the pan handle. I’ve driven the trailer for thousands of miles and the tires have been fine. But I tow level, check the pressure, have a special pump for inflating them, and don’t exceed 80mph in hot weather for long periods of time. My tow vehcile rear axel tires are rated at 2300lbs each at 50psi, and I keep them at 44psi with about 2000lbs on them.

People who are blowing out the tires are probably underinflating for the load, driving too fast for the speed rating, or unlucky with obstacles.
This is misleading.

I was the first on here with Castle Rocks several years ago.
I treated them right, was diligent about inflation, weights and use a TPMS.

Mine lasted about 16 months and about 8000 miles...then... they came apart. I never scrubbed them, hit anything or exceeded speed. Luckily, I watched them like a hawk and found them separating BEFORE they did damage to our 5th wheel. Three of the four came apart at the same time.

Yes.. you will get some time and mileage from them just as I did but they WILL fail.

To the OP... you got a lot of great suggestions.
I reiterate the landscape, mulch, stone, scrap yard suggestions for weighing.

Our local mulch place has nice scales. If you go there at a non-busy time, they happily let you scale, unhook, weigh the truck, weight the trailer, weigh the combo, whatever you'd like to do.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 07:57 AM   #22

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecastle View Post
Also will mention. The castle rocks are fine, if you treat them right. I towed from Houston to Rocky Mountain national park without any tire issues.

The reason tires blow out is people underinflate them for the load, overload them and drive at too high of a speed. Also scrubbing them when turning hard is hard on the tires, and hitting rocks etc when backing them in. See a lot of people not towing level too which overloads the front axle on the trailer leading to blowouts. Can’t tell you how many times I see people not towing level or running clearly under inflated tires. I point it out to folks when at gas stations when I see them. Also watch for sun rot. This applies to any trailer tire, and your tow vehicle. See folks all the time with under inflated tow vehicle tires....

I’ve had my trailer maxed out at 5300lbs, with the tires inflated to 50psi and running at 70mph in 105 weather in the pan handle. I’ve driven the trailer for thousands of miles and the tires have been fine. But I tow level, check the pressure, have a special pump for inflating them, and don’t exceed 80mph in hot weather for long periods of time. My tow vehcile rear axel tires are rated at 2300lbs each at 50psi, and I keep them at 44psi with about 2000lbs on them.

People who are blowing out the tires are probably underinflating for the load, driving too fast for the speed rating, or unlucky with obstacles.
80 mph what speed rating on those tires?
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 10:38 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
This is misleading.

Mine lasted about 16 months and about 8000 miles...then... they came apart. I never scrubbed them, hit anything or exceeded speed. Luckily, I watched them like a hawk and found them separating BEFORE they did damage to our 5th wheel. Three of the four came apart at the same time.

Yes.. you will get some time and mileage from them just as I did but they WILL fail.

Our local mulch place has nice scales. If you go there at a non-busy time, they happily let you scale, unhook, weigh the truck, weight the trailer, weigh the combo, whatever you'd like to do.

He wants to weight each tire individually on the trailer, as he wants to know how much weight is on each tire (4) and not each axle. Any regular truck scale will not give him what he wants. Only post #17 gives him a solution.
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019 (28) 2020 (35)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 11:45 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonzie View Post
He wants to weight each tire individually on the trailer, as he wants to know how much weight is on each tire (4) and not each axle. Any regular truck scale will not give him what he wants. Only post #17 gives him a solution.
I agree that SmartWeigh is a better approach but it is possible to accomplish the same thing with a truck scale that's flush with the ground if conditions are right, and it's potentially free or cheaper.

You have to be able to drive across the scale with only one side on the scale and the other on the pavement. It would have to be level side-to-side, otherwise the weights could be distorted.

By taking a weight as each successive axle rolls onto the platform, and as each successive axle leaves the platform, you can determine the weight of each axle. If you're doing only one side at a time, you can determine the weight on each tire.

I have not done this, personally, but it's simple math. As I stated above, it depends on conditions being right, i.e., the scales being flush to the ground and there being no obstructions to prevent driving across it with only one side on the scale at a time.

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 12:07 PM   #25
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscowles View Post
I agree that SmartWeigh is a better approach but it is possible to accomplish the same thing with a truck scale that's flush with the ground if conditions are right, and it's potentially free or cheaper.

You have to be able to drive across the scale with only one side on the scale and the other on the pavement. It would have to be level side-to-side, otherwise the weights could be distorted.

By taking a weight as each successive axle rolls onto the platform, and as each successive axle leaves the platform, you can determine the weight of each axle. If you're doing only one side at a time, you can determine the weight on each tire.

I have not done this, personally, but it's simple math. As I stated above, it depends on conditions being right, i.e., the scales being flush to the ground and there being no obstructions to prevent driving across it with only one side on the scale at a time.
Yep.
That's the same process I was thinking of.

Old 09-24-2018, 12:35 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
This is misleading.

Also misleading. My 2007 Jayco came with the Castle Rocks and sold it in 2017 with the same Castle Rocks still on it. I estimate I had 15,000 miles on them.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 12:46 PM   #27
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
Also misleading. My 2007 Jayco came with the Castle Rocks and sold it in 2017 with the same Castle Rocks still on it. I estimate I had 15,000 miles on them.
Interesting.

When I first posted about my Castle Rocks several years ago on this forum (and a few others I frequent) no one, and I mean no one, knew anything about them.

It's also interesting that in the late 90's early 2000's we had three different Jayco 5th wheels and they all had Goodyear Marathons on them. We looked at hundreds on various dealer lots and at shows, all with GY. It would have been interesting to know who or if the same company as today, manufactured the Castle Rocks back then.

I'm glad you got 10 years out of them.
I try not to run trailer tires for 10 years... worn out or not.

Old 09-24-2018, 12:57 PM   #28

Quote:
The SmartWeigh does much more than weigh each individual wheels.
We had it done to our MH in Livingston, TX and they do the calculations for you and do a 'consultation' where they give you lots of information about tire pressure, axel weights, and more. They were a bit taken aback by our axel weights which are not typical and the type of van tires on the rig, but we got the information we needed.
You have to make an appointment and they don't rush you through. Well worth the drive and the overnight stay in a nearby rv park to be there on time.
Old 09-24-2018, 01:39 PM   #29

Quote:

Thanks for the explanation, did not think of it that way.....good to know!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CatScale.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	269.5 KB
ID:	187433  
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019 (28) 2020 (35)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 10:24 PM   #30
Do It Yourselfer

At the FROG rally "Recreational Vehicle Safety Foundation". (RVSEF) is one of the vendors. They schedule weighting on the last day of the Rally as you depart. You fill in the TV and RV data on the registration form. After weighting each individual tire, they provide the information and advise you about the set up.
Several Weighting teams traffic around the country conducting seminars etc. More information at their web site ... https://rvsafety.com

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
It's Easy to take 'Liberty' for granted, When you have never had it taken from You!
wuffwuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 06:05 AM   #31

Thanks wuffwuff for the info on rvsafety. Unfortunately none of their weighing locations are near me. If there are any RV dealerships out there that are looking to improve their credibility and make the RV industry a better place, it seems to me this would be a great place to start.

As for Castle Rock tires on a 2007 Jayco and lasting 10 years...……….man do I find that HARD to believe. I never even heard of Castle Rocks until recently. And now I own a set thanks to FR.
dieseldodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 08:24 AM   #32
Canadian Member

I had tires on my Coleman popup last 10+ years but the popup weighed only about 2000# and it was always stored in a garage with tires on wood boards. I don’t remember what brand they were but I think they were Carlisle. I didn’t know any better in those days and would run them at 70-75 mph on the highway, but I was meticulous about always inflating them to max. pressure indicated on the sidewall.

To the OP, CAT scales have 3 scales on the platform - for steering axle, drive axle(s) and trailer axle(s) - but they can’t weigh individual tires if that’s what you’re looking for.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 09:00 AM   #33
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuffwuff View Post
At the FROG rally "Recreational Vehicle Safety Foundation". (RVSEF) is one of the vendors. They schedule weighting on the last day of the Rally as you depart. You fill in the TV and RV data on the registration form. After weighting each individual tire, they provide the information and advise you about the set up.
Several Weighting teams traffic around the country conducting seminars etc. More information at their web site ... https://rvsafety.com
At all of the rallies I've attended that have had weighing services done at it has always been as you roll in to the park.

The thinking behind this is that when you arrive at the destination you are loaded as you would normally travel.

But when you are leaving, chances are your tanks are empty, your food is mostly all gone (same for the beer )...

In other words...not the same heavy load you rolled in with!

Just a random thought to ponder...
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 09:20 AM   #34

Interesting you are discussing weighing individual tires. Reminded me that my uncle was a deputy sheriff and frequently carried 'portable scales' in the back of his Tahoe. He cruised the back roads looking for semi's bypassing the scales on the highway. Put a plate in front of each tire and had them pull up on them. I doubt they will let one of us weigh our rig though (but they might)
MillMitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 09:30 AM   #35

MillMitch….I was thinking that very thing yesterday as I went by one of those 'temporary' weigh areas with the portable scales. If I had had the RV with me I would not be to proud to stop and ask if they would weigh it. But they probably wouldn't want to do what I'd like (each tire) unless business was really slow.
dieseldodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 10:09 AM   #36

The Castle Rocks on my 2017 Flagstaff 29RKWS have about 6000 miles on them. I diligently maintain the tire pressure, have not scrubbed them, ran over rocks, etc. Driving approx. 40-45 mph one blew! Thankfully minimal damage to the rv. I do believe that despite vigorous care they will not last! Installing Goodyear Endurance 10 ply and hoping for the best!

Sent from my VS986 using Forest River Forums mobile app
Blusmurfy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 03:43 PM   #37
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blusmurfy1 View Post
The Castle Rocks on my 2017 Flagstaff 29RKWS have about 6000 miles on them. I diligently maintain the tire pressure, have not scrubbed them, ran over rocks, etc. Driving approx. 40-45 mph one blew! Thankfully minimal damage to the rv. I do believe that despite vigorous care they will not last! Installing Goodyear Endurance 10 ply and hoping for the best!

Sent from my VS986 using Forest River Forums mobile app
Welcome to the 'club.'

Old 09-25-2018, 04:15 PM   #38

I don't understand the deal about individual wheel weights, get the axel weight and move on, it is what it is. with the equalizer between the axels each axel weight will be close. it is the total of both axels that matters.
Amateur Radio W5CI 2019 Days Camping 25
2020 Days Camping 7
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 05:00 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
80 mph what speed rating on those tires?
Yes 80mph quite a few times, they are speed rated for a maximum sustained speed of 75mph. I’ve towed at 80mph for probably 100+ miles coming back from Big Bend National Park on I10, before i learned of the low speed rating on the trailer tires. I’ve been with my in laws doing 90mph for long distances while towing their trailer. It’s a Texas thing, a lot of folks (not everyone) tow at 80+. I see it frequently, as I sit into the right lane getting passed by others towing trailers.

There are a lot of internet casandras who have had 1 tire go flat in 8000 miles and the sky is falling. These tires by forum reputation aren’t the best, but for most folks they seem fine. If they were really a serious problem trailer companies would move to a different brand for consumer perception and liability.

With that said, it’s hard to know if you hit something in the road that has damaged a tire. Scrubbing is impossible to avoid when turning hard or backing up on a dual axel. folks who have lost a tire don’t know why, so their stories are anecdotal at best, and they don’t talk about their other flats. I’ve had 3 car flat tires in the last 2 years but no trailer flats.. road derbies in my case. I check my pressures before every trip, and my trailer is garaged so it has minimal sun exposure. Also the tires were nitrogen filled.

In general most of my towing has been at 70-75mph. With some significantly higher blasts while passing cars on 2 lane highways. I actually got to 100mph while towing in a passing situation, though I would not recommend that as the sway can be quite bad, if you accelerate too hard, from any speed, it upsets the trailer, gentile and you can get going pretty fast.

P.s. if your not towing level it’s easy to overload an axel and the tires resulting in damage and a blow out.
thecastle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 05:49 AM   #40
World Wide Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by W5CI View Post
I don't understand the deal about individual wheel weights, get the axel weight and move on, it is what it is. with the equalizer between the axels each axel weight will be close. it is the total of both axels that matters.
Side to side weights will tell you if an individual tire is close to or overloaded. I have had this happen on more than one trailer. I had a 2000 Coleman Niagara that kept wearing out the left side tire. Turns out the trailer was poorly designed and the left side was almost 400 # heavier than the right side. Putting the tire on that side just over the weight rating.

To the OP see if you can find a race car shop. They quite often have individual wheel scales. My cousins race roundy rounds and have scales. They used to have the old beam balance type that you had to jack the car up to set it on them, but have since bought an electronic pad set that you can drive up on.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flagstaff