Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2018, 07:37 AM   #1

Wishing I could weigh my Flagstaff

Recently took our 2019 Flagstaff for a 400 mile trip into the mountains. Have not yet replaced the Castle Rock tires it came with (why should have to replace them already?). Well, I have to tell you when you are shooting down 6 and sometimes 8% grades with no guard rails with tires that have a poor reputation.....I could think of nothing else.

We obviously made it home in one piece, but with a keen interest in RV tires. I decide to learn the tire weights on our RV. When we still lived in small town Nebraska it was easy to do. The local grain elevator left their scales on all the time so I could go there and get all the weights I wanted. But down here in southern New Mexico I can't find a scale that is flush with the ground (wouldn't it be great if RV dealers offered such services?).

I have one of those tongue weight scales for my bumper trailers, been trying to think of a way to learn the weights of our RV without spending $1800 for a Walz load cell scale. Any ideas. (BTW, our 8529IKBS has the Torflex axles)

A thought that occurred to me while going down those steep grades. With no place to air up the tires when in the cool mountains, we were probably running on 'under' inflated tires until we got down to warmer temps.
dieseldodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 07:45 AM   #2

Take it to your local Truck Stop, they will probably have a Certified CAT Scale.
Amateur Radio W5CI 2019 Days Camping 25
2020 Days Camping 7
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 07:45 AM   #3

Just go to a CatScale near you...

https://catscale.com/cat-scale-locat...s=2&cmdSearch=
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019 (28) 2020 (35)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 07:48 AM   #4

All the truck stops that I have checked out have above ground scales
Old 09-23-2018, 07:49 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseldodge View Post
(wouldn't it be great if RV dealers offered such services?)
It would be great for us, but not so great for the dealers who tell customers they can pull that 40’ toy hauler with their Smart Car. RV sales would decrease by 75% if educated (in towing) buyers had access to a scale at the dealer.

Bruce
Old 09-23-2018, 08:38 AM   #6

Quote:
All the truck stops that I have checked out have above ground scales
And how is this a problem? We all weigh our rigs on the CAT scales.
Blackrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 09:12 AM   #7

Also will mention. The castle rocks are fine, if you treat them right. I towed from Houston to Rocky Mountain national park without any tire issues.

The reason tires blow out is people underinflate them for the load, overload them and drive at too high of a speed. Also scrubbing them when turning hard is hard on the tires, and hitting rocks etc when backing them in. See a lot of people not towing level too which overloads the front axle on the trailer leading to blowouts. Can’t tell you how many times I see people not towing level or running clearly under inflated tires. I point it out to folks when at gas stations when I see them. Also watch for sun rot. This applies to any trailer tire, and your tow vehicle. See folks all the time with under inflated tow vehicle tires....

I’ve had my trailer maxed out at 5300lbs, with the tires inflated to 50psi and running at 70mph in 105 weather in the pan handle. I’ve driven the trailer for thousands of miles and the tires have been fine. But I tow level, check the pressure, have a special pump for inflating them, and don’t exceed 80mph in hot weather for long periods of time. My tow vehcile rear axle tires are rated at 2300lbs each at 50psi, and I keep them at 44psi with about 2000lbs on them.

People who are blowing out the tires are probably underinflating for the load, driving too fast for the speed rating, or unlucky with obstacles.
thecastle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 09:16 AM   #8

I believe that I understand where "dieseldodge" is coming from. I'm in SW GA. that has no public access to a set of scales to weigh an RV on. There are numerous truck scales here which are owned by private businesses, one private inert landfill scale, two County owned scales at landfills, and one CAT scale. The CAT scale here WILL NOT allow public weighing. If it is not a commercial vehicle with paperwork then they will not allow you on the scale. There is a large sign at the entrance to the scale stating this and I have gone in to talk with the person on duty. Why they won't allow public weighing no one knows, they just state "those are the rules". The closest public access scales that I know of are about 75 miles away, another CAT scale at a Pilot truck stop.

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 09:58 AM   #9

With an above ground scale all you will learn is the total weight of your rig...nothing more. I've already got a pretty good idea of that with the info the manufacturers provide. How am I to learn side to side weight...and even better the individual tire weights?
Our 2006 Wildcat had two slides, both on the drivers side. Guess which side had the most weight on the tires?
Old 09-23-2018, 10:21 AM   #10
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecastle View Post
Also will mention. The castle rocks are fine, if you treat them right. I towed from Houston to Rocky Mountain national park without any tire issues.

The reason tires blow out is people underinflate them for the load, overload them and drive at too high of a speed. Also scrubbing them when turning hard is hard on the tires, and hitting rocks etc when backing them in. See a lot of people not towing level too which overloads the front axle on the trailer leading to blowouts. Can’t tell you how many times I see people not towing level or running clearly under inflated tires. I point it out to folks when at gas stations when I see them. Also watch for sun rot. This applies to any trailer tire, and your tow vehicle. See folks all the time with under inflated tow vehicle tires....

I’ve had my trailer maxed out at 5300lbs, with the tires inflated to 50psi and running at 70mph in 105 weather in the pan handle. I’ve driven the trailer for thousands of miles and the tires have been fine. But I tow level, check the pressure, have a special pump for inflating them, and don’t exceed 80mph in hot weather for long periods of time. My tow vehcile rear axel tires are rated at 2300lbs each at 50psi, and I keep them at 44psi with about 2000lbs on them.

People who are blowing out the tires are probably underinflating for the load, driving too fast for the speed rating, or unlucky with obstacles.
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 10:40 AM   #11

Our Flagstaff runs a bit high in the front. Attempting to level it out more creates other issues so for now I'm just living with it. However I'd like to know the weight differences between the front axle and the rear one.
JohnD10...Denver to Yuma in 90 days?
Old 09-23-2018, 12:12 PM   #12

Pilot, Flying J. Any interstate truck stop scales.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 12:29 PM   #13

Quote:
JohnD10...Denver to Yuma in 90 days?
Left Denver on March 30th to live the full-time dream in my 5'ver...

90 days later after finishing my planned travels I moved in to my new home in Yuma...

Decided that I wanted to keep my 5'ver for camping...not living in!

I did the full-time thing for six months...that was enough for me!

Old 09-23-2018, 12:34 PM   #14
Lets go camping!

ive never heard of cat scales not allowing people to weigh their vehicles. i mean, you are paying for the service.

you could even go to a scrap yard and they can weigh your truck.
Old 09-23-2018, 12:39 PM   #15

https://catscale.com/cat-scale-locator/

Multi pad scales will tell you a lot more than just gross weight of it all. Takes multiple weighs.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 12:43 PM   #16

Also, places that sell dirt and rocks will have scales and typically will do it for free...

Unless you need the certification slips...
Old 09-23-2018, 09:04 PM   #17

If you feel like a 5 hour trip to an area north of Phoenix, you can do the Escapees Club Smart Weigh. https://www.escapees.com/education/smartweigh/

You don't have to be a member, but they do charge and they do an individual wheel weight.
Old 09-23-2018, 09:29 PM   #18

Lightbulb

Quote:
Recently took our 2019 Flagstaff for a 400 mile trip into the mountains. Have not yet replaced the Castle Rock tires it came with (why should have to replace them already?). Well, I have to tell you when you are shooting down 6 and sometimes 8% grades with no guard rails with tires that have a poor reputation.....I could think of nothing else.

We obviously made it home in one piece, but with a keen interest in RV tires. I decide to learn the tire weights on our RV. When we still lived in small town Nebraska it was easy to do. The local grain elevator left their scales on all the time so I could go there and get all the weights I wanted. But down here in southern New Mexico I can't find a scale that is flush with the ground (wouldn't it be great if RV dealers offered such services?).

I have one of those tongue weight scales for my bumper trailers, been trying to think of a way to learn the weights of our RV without spending $1800 for a Walz load cell scale. Any ideas. (BTW, our 8529IKBS has the Torflex axles)

A thought that occurred to me while going down those steep grades. With no place to air up the tires when in the cool mountains, we were probably running on 'under' inflated tires until we got down to warmer temps.
I suggest you take it to a State Patrol Weigh Station alongside of any major highway. If that isn’t an option then contact any Scrap Metal Dealer or Wrecking Yard and ask if they will weigh your trailer for you. They all have ground level scales that are certified by the department of weights and measures.
grandpawrichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 05:32 AM   #19

Reverse snowbird....thanks for that info. Might make a reason to go thru Congress soon. Now if the RV dealers would only start doing this things would be much safer out there.
Old 09-24-2018, 06:38 AM   #20

Also.........look around farm country. If you see those big grain silos, go there. They have scales to weigh the grain trucks as they deliver.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flagstaff