Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2024, 01:02 PM   #1

05 Silverado 2500HD Tow vehicle blowing fuses

Hello.. Need help with some direction of where to search for rootcause.

I have a 05 Silverado 2500HD and pulling a 27Ft - 2015 Rockwood Ultra Lite 5th wheel. Not immediately after plugging in the trailer to truck, but at some point the 15amp "TRL PRK" fuse blows on the truck main fuse panel. It seems to work for a bit, then during travel I notice running lights are off. Trailer Brake and turn signals continue to work on the trailer when this happens.

Things that I have checked.
1. Truck side 7 pin plug:
a. Validated 12V from power pin to neutral is good - check
b. Validated right and left turn signal to neutral is good - check
c. Validated 12V from neutral pin to running lights good - check

2. Trailer side 7 pin plug: Without being plugged into truck (with 15am jumper wire)
a. Validated from power to right turn signal - stayed on didn't blow jumper fuse
b. Validated from power to left turn signal - stayed on didn't blow jumper fuse
c. Validated from power to running lights - stayed on didn't blow jumper fuse
d. with multimeter validated OHM's reading from neutral to left/right/running lights. All metered .1-.2 ohms separately

scratching my head! Please help with any input

RRB805Camper
RRB805Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2024, 02:09 PM   #2

If all the connections are tight (no scorch marks) at 7 way, truck, and RV connections, I would check the RV battery. Not just if it is at 12.7 sitting idle, but also check it when connected to running truck. Also, load test. Perhaps the battery is bad and pulling too much. I have found many odd fuses blowing when batteries are bad or very low.
After that, time to start checking in depth for loose connections and sporadic shorts.
Aren't electrical problems fun? Good luck!
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2024, 02:16 PM   #3

Copy.. Yes. Battery is like 2 years old.. I will do a load test when connected to my truck..

Thanks for the info..
Old 02-20-2024, 08:07 PM   #4

More information

Still looking for help and direction:

I did look up several YouTube videos on this issue and found something new.

Using a 15amp Jumper wire, on the trailer side 7 pin plug. I can power up running lights, then right turn signal and then left turn signal. I can leave this Jumper wire in for several minutes and never fails in none of the 3 positions.

Does this mean the issue in on my truck side? Because once I plug trailer into the truck, it will blow after several minutes or when toggling lights on and off..

HELP!!
Old 02-20-2024, 08:41 PM   #5

Somewhere on your trailer a running light is touching ground while going down the road.Try and find large empty parking lot ,make various turns and bumps,eventually you will find out what type of movement is causing a short.
toyhauler2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2024, 08:43 PM   #6

Meant to type running light wire.
toyhauler2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2024, 08:50 PM   #7

I have removed the 2 back stop/tail light covers and inspected all wires from light bulb housing into RV cabin. I have a 2015 Rockwood so all paneling is fiberglass. I have not removed any of the 10 side and back running light assemblies. Again, those go into a fiberglass frame. Do you think I should continue to pull each running light assembly?
Old 02-20-2024, 09:00 PM   #8

I have removed the 2 back stop/tail light covers and inspected all wires from light bulb housing into RV cabin. I have a 2015 Rockwood so all paneling is fiberglass. I have not removed any of the 10 side and back running light assemblies. Again, those go into a fiberglass frame. Do you think I should continue to pull each running light assembly?
Old 02-20-2024, 09:20 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyhauler2007 View Post
Somewhere on your trailer a running light is touching ground while going down the road.Try and find large empty parking lot ,make various turns and bumps,eventually you will find out what type of movement is causing a short.
Have you tried this and other suggestions such as load on the battery and pinch points on trailer wiring? If it is not the battery it would appear to be an intermittent short caused by the jiggling while traveling. You may find it necessary to run new wires
flyflotrtim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2024, 09:24 PM   #10

I will attempt to get battery checked under load.. would my local Oriellys or Auto zone have appropriate equipment to validate battery?
Old 02-20-2024, 09:51 PM   #11

Another item I forgot to mention:

While on travel and pulling my 5th wheel, the brake controller in my trucka toggles between C" (connected) and "N C" (not connected). Also, when I manually turn on my lights, the display on the brake controller shows weird numbers like 1.6 .7 etc..

Would this be a lead for blowing fuses or bad just a bad connection at the 7 pin plug.
Old 02-21-2024, 05:21 AM   #12
Retired Army MSG!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRB805Camper View Post
Another item I forgot to mention:

While on travel and pulling my 5th wheel, the brake controller in my trucka toggles between C" (connected) and "N C" (not connected). Also, when I manually turn on my lights, the display on the brake controller shows weird numbers like 1.6 .7 etc..

Would this be a lead for blowing fuses or bad just a bad connection at the 7 pin plug.

I had a brake controller to go bad and it shorted out internally. It caused my running and brake light fuse to blow. Once I replaced the controller, I have not had an issue since. Still driving and towing with that truck today. My controller is not an OEM factory integrated system, it is an after market under the dash install.
lazyjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 07:45 AM   #13

Thanks.. The controller has been on my mind awhile. This makes sense..
Old 02-21-2024, 08:26 AM   #14
Old man RVer

You checked the hot side of the circuits. What about ground? If you lose the ground between the trailer and tow vehicle the electricity looks for other sources of ground, often overloading a particular circuit with the least resistance. Add a separate ground wire from the tow vehicle to the trailer and see what happens.
2WheelJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 08:34 AM   #15

🤔
I did verify ground wire from RV battery to frame, but I will verify ground from the 7 pin trailer side. I believe this would be the white wire. 7 pin plug goes into a square junction box, would it be grounded there or somewhere else?
Thanks!
Old 02-21-2024, 08:37 AM   #16

2WheelJon:

Could I also be losing ground with a weak 7 pin connection between RV and Truck? My brake controller displays NC and C at times..
Old 02-21-2024, 09:21 AM   #17
Old man RVer

Diagnosing your rig from my keyboard is not easy. While you certainly could examine the ground wiring, both in junction box and 7-wire connector, a simple test would be to run a temporary wire from a good spot on the tow vehicle frame to the trailer’s battery ground terminal. This would be a good ground connection for test purposes.
2WheelJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 09:32 AM   #18

I'm not seeing this as a "Rockwood trailer" issue.

Tried the "old Chevy pickup forum" where there are probably dozens of guys with these 20-year old trucks. (Seriously, I ask for guidance with my Ford Expedition on an Expedition forum.)

Best of luck on this. Don't take my comment the wrong way, you're more likely to find help on this specific truck in a more specific forum.

-- Chuck
Old 02-21-2024, 11:02 AM   #19

Jon,
I will try running a separate ground wire from truck to trailer to test ground. More to come
Old 02-21-2024, 11:05 AM   #20

Chuck,

100% absolutely! No harm.

I have a trend going on the Duramax Diesel forum. I have tried several of thier ideas and test steps. I'm trying to complete as many as I have confidence on each. I'm not gonna give up trying! ����

Tags
500, fuse, tow, tow vehicle