Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2013, 09:29 PM   #1

Smile 1st time out in 2604

Good evening from Ga. My wife and I took our 1st camping trip this year in our new to usused 2013 Rockwood 2604. It was a beautiful weekend on Lake West Point.

The camper pulled great. I have a 2011 Dodge 1500 5.7 Big Horn package. Our only other camper we started with was a 2006 Keystone Sprinter rear living as well and same size. We owned it for 18 months and sold in Feb this year.

We really like the 2604. There were a good many likes but a few wish it had some of the other offerings our previous Sprinter had. More pros than cons. Here you go

Pros
Walk through bath !!!!! Like being at home compared to last small bath
Walk in shower. Not small tub/shower
More clearance around our bed
Surround sound and out door speakers
Power awning. Didn't think I would like but boy it's a dream
Air mattress sofa
Water filter
Upgraded cabinets
Window at head of bed
Entertainment center/ XM radio
Sink not directly under kitchen cabinets
Nice porch light

Cons
Not enough receptacles where needed.
Kept throwing breaker with a small heater on in bath and small heater on in living area on different receptacles. Never happened in other camper.

No light switch at rear living door. I know there is one under cabinet but putting by the door makes way more sense

The four stabilizer jacks are very lightweight it seems compared to others I had

Takes longer for water to get hot because hot water heater is in FRONT of camper and on OPPOSITE side from ALL fixtures but toilet which doesn't need hot water. A lot of wasted water going into grey tank waiting to get warm for bath or dishes. Plus very light weight wall protecting hot water heater in front storage compartment.

Front storage area smaller
Limited clothes storage space.

Can't wait to take my wife and our two dogs a white lab and a black Malti-Poo.
So far we gave 30 nights reserved counting this 3 night weekend.

Happy safe camping !
Hawg Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:16 AM   #2

Hawg Hunter; I take a seperate 20' 20AMP extension cord and with the slide 1/2 way out snake the ext cord out the bottom corner opening between the slide and the camper wall and then run it to the power box, then open the slide all the way. This ext cord is for the heater in the living area. I've used a 1500 watt ceramic heater to heat the whole camper with temps as low as 28 degrees overnight. With this set up you'll not be poping the circut breaker.

2012 Winnebago "Journey To Insanity" 40U
2008 Dakota Sport 4x4
2004 Subaru Baja - DW's
2006 Honda Shadow Aero - TOAD for now.
F.R.O.G. member
lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:56 AM   #3

Congratulations on your first trip in you 2604. That is a very nice floorplan.

2016 Flagstaff 8528CKWSA
2012 GMC Sierra 2500HD 6.0L

RalphieAdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:05 AM   #4

Hawg Hunter, as to the jacks, what I did to take the bounce out of the trl was to go to the local junk yard and get 2 scissor jacks out of Ford Windstar vans. The jack plate on these jack will fit over the steel plate that is between the trl axles and allows you to put up pressure on the frame and take the bounce out of the axle suspension.

2012 Winnebago "Journey To Insanity" 40U
2008 Dakota Sport 4x4
2004 Subaru Baja - DW's
2006 Honda Shadow Aero - TOAD for now.
F.R.O.G. member
lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 03:30 PM   #5

Congrats on your first campout in your 2013 Rockwood 2604. Glad the pros outweigh the cons. There will always be cons no matter what.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 04:36 PM   #6

Thanks for the replies. Good advice especially the extension cord for the heater. I got to see how to do this snaking though. Have a great week.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:23 AM   #7
AKA: 'tiredTeacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawg Hunter View Post
We really like the 2604. There were a good many likes but a few wish it had some of the other offerings our previous Sprinter had. More pros than cons ...

Limited clothes storage space.
That's why we ordered a 2604WS. The wardrobe slide solves that BUT - you give up the side window. Thanks for the heads up on the hot water situation.

Wright
2010 Tundra 4X4 5.7L V8
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows.
awellis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:13 PM   #8

Glad you are enjoying your 2604! My wife and I bought our first TT tis December, a 2604ws. We love it and have camped 10 nights thus far. I noticed the same thing about the receptacles. The bathroom is on the same circuit as the plug in the kitchen cabinet. However, the plugs behind the chairs are on a different circuit so we now plug our living room space heater into one of those with a short extension cord. Now I can have the heater with morning coffee pot!

Hope you enjoy- wow, 30 nights. I'm jealous!
bill.morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:00 AM   #9

Smile Thanks

Thanks for info on bath and kitchen cabinet plug in being on same circuit . How did you figure that out? I wish in a way we a a 2604 ws. That bedroom closet slide is nice. I got such a good price on my used 2013 2604 which doesnt have the wardrobe slide . Plus I don't think that Rockwood has the 2604 in their 2014 brochure only the 2604ws. At least I didn't see it in the new brochure I looked through nor on a large Rockwood dealer's yard in while working earlier this week in Wisconsin. I love my camper but looks like I will be using a drop cord also. Hate that but thanks for heads up. Have a safe and happy Easter . He overcame the grave !
Old 03-28-2013, 08:42 PM   #10

I had a heater plugged into the kitchen cabinet plug and my wife started a hair dryer in the bathroom. Instant trip of the breaker. I plugged the heater into the plug behind the chair and all was well. The slide out wardrobe is nice. However, you lose the window and the second wardrobe by the bed......I wouldn't worry too much about the difference.

On another note, I found out the kitchen faucet has a water limiter installed that severely limits the flow of water in the kitchen sink. Based on info in this forum, I took out the limiter and water pressure dramatically improved. I tow our 2604 with my Jeep Grand Cherokee and it seems to be about the largest and most feature-rich we could find that we could tow with the Cherokee.

Happy camping!
bill.morrison is offline   Reply With Quote