Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2012, 05:49 PM   #1

Unhappy 2011 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 8315BSS

I had arrived at the campground and was in the process of "setting-up". We pushed the switch to move the bedroom slide "out". It went out and stopped so that the foot of the bed was about 6" from the cupboard. Long story short...... discovered the screws that hold the bed "down" to the floor (sliding portion) had stripped out and the four screws holding the head of the bed to the back wall (headboard wall) had all pulled out. This unit has only seen about 20 or so trips, but is no longer under warranty, as it was purchased in May of 2010....an 'early' 2011. I have removed the mattress etc., and the top piece of "luan board" (under the pillow area) and can see that there is "nothing" in the back (headboard) wall to screw into. It seems that all there is, is some foamboard!! How t'heck is foamboard with possibly a luan facing and wallpaper supposed to hold screws that will withstand the wall pulling the bed out???? Besides possibly drilling new holes in the aluminium bed frame on the floor and replacing those screws with perhaps larger (but no longer) screws, what can I do to prevent this in the future? Stumped! Your ideas will certainly be appreciated.....
Robrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 06:12 PM   #2
Site Team - Lou

I am sure there was supposed to be a backer board built into the wall. Perhaps it moved when they laminated the wall together.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 06:56 PM   #3

Thanks Lou.....I thought so too, but took an awl and poked it into the "board" just above and below where the screw had pulled-out of, and there is nothing. There appears to be only foamboard in there next to the luan and the gelcoat on the outside of the trailer. I tried this in several places.....couldn't believe it!
Robrick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
8315bss, anchor, bed frame, screws, ultralite, bed