Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2011, 02:08 PM   #1
Grumpy Old Member

2012 Windjammer Maiden Road Trip

Hiya,

I know, I've hade my Windjammer 3008 since May but this is the first opportunity I've had to take it on a bonafide camping trip. Most of the time, she sits on my seasonal spot in a great RV Park on the shores of Lake Ontario. Today, I'm enjoying a great spot at a place called Fish Creek Ponds in the Adirondak Mountains of New York State. Nice place, everyone has a water site.

Anyway, thought I'd report on a few issues that I've been plugging away at since I left my home spot.

First, over all, everything has been great. The Windjammer is a decent dry camper as long as you tote a small generator to augment and charge the battery on a daily basis. Lots of comfort and a fan at night really make the "out in the woods thing" a fun and comfortable thing.

Some issues...

On my way out of the park I had to make some repairs to the break wiring. The passenger side rear axle wires were no where near long enough to accommodate the suspension travel of the torsion system and had torn. Check yours for play, be sure that it's adequate.

Lippert should be embarrassed to put their name on that POS of a power tongue jack. As I was hitching up, I ran the jack all the way up not quite knowing where the stop was. Documentation says that there is a clutch that will engage at the top and the bottom letting you know that youu can go no further. Well, in reality, mine went to the top and I heard a pop and something fall down inside the jack. I'm guessing it was a shear pin of some sort because now, the the motor turns fine in both directions but the screw part of the jack is not along for the ride. I took the cover off for a look and decided that I'll let the dealer handle this as a warranty item when I return, cranking by hand will be the fix for now.

Forest River also gets a bad mark on this trip. Now that I'm using the pump for fresh water, I too have been plagued with lots of air in the system and loss of prime. Opened the access door and discovered that someone at FR thought that we wouldn't need a valve on the low pressure side line to the winterization fitting on the side of the unit. did they really think that the rubber cap on the outside fitting would suffice against the vacuum of the pump? Really? Took a fast trip to the hardware store in a nearby town and cut in a small valve, issue solved.

Aside from the above, this has been a great trip so far. Towing was good and my 2010 Ram 1500 averaged a respectable 10.5 mpg on the 150 mile trip up into the mountains.

Well, the sun is now out and the lake is calling. Time to

2012 Windjammer 2008w
2020 RAM 1500
ChrisZazzara is offline   Reply With Quote