Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2013, 01:44 PM   #1
rip

2013 FR Rockwood Windjammer tv Antenna

Just picked up my 2013 Rockwood Windjammer 2809W that I ordered. My first disappointment was that Forest River is still installing an old Winegard Sensar III antenna instead of the current Sensar IV which has been out a few years.

I was really expecting Forst River to be more up to date on their electronics this year. The out-of-date III and current IV are both batwing style antennas but the IV adds some uhf antenna elements to help with the recent switch to high definition signal reception.
+ 2002 Ford F-250 7.3L 4X4
rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:29 AM   #2
AKA: 'tiredTeacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by rip View Post
Just picked up my 2013 Rockwood Windjammer 2809W that I ordered.
I don't intend to be snart ass, but if you ordered it, why couldn't you have gotten a Sensar IV if that's what you wanted?

Wright
2010 Tundra 4X4 5.7L V8
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows.
awellis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:59 AM   #3
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by awellis3 View Post
I don't intend to be snart ass, but if you ordered it, why couldn't you have gotten a Sensar IV if that's what you wanted?

Wright
It's possibly not an option. The dealer could do it for an extra cost, but not the factory. (Guessing!)
Old 02-07-2013, 12:04 PM   #4
rip

Quote:
Wright
I wasn't trying to smart off either.

I was new to the ordering process. There were a list of options offered to me on the order, while many of the accessories were not optional and not identified in the specifications, like the furnace, a/c, range top, microwave, antenna, television...

I thought that, for these, I had to trust that they would be what customers come to expect as Forest River quality.

For example, the installed television is a 1080 high-def LED (not older LCD) with three HDMI connectors for high-def accesories, the installed microwave has a turn-table for even cooking, a USB-port wall plate is installed for charging cell phones...
Old 02-07-2013, 02:43 PM   #5

Quote:
I was new to the ordering process. There were a list of options offered to me on the order, while many of the accessories were not optional and not identified in the specifications, like the furnace, a/c, range top, microwave, antenna, television...
I, for one, thank you for this thread. I'm about to order a Rockwood 2604WS and you have made me aware of questions I need to ask.
One of them will be is the radio satellite ready. My XM and I are inseparable.

Thanks for the heads up,
Wright
2010 Tundra 4X4 5.7L V8
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
Old 02-07-2013, 10:12 PM   #6
rip

Quote:
One of them will be is the radio satellite ready. My XM and I are inseparable. Thanks for the heads up, Wright
My Windjammer 2809W came with a Genesis GT-3.0, which is a relatively nice sound system for a travel trailer. Lots of features including surround sound, bluetooth link, high def video out, USB/SD port and more...

The description lists five inputs (2 audio/video, 2 audio and 1 digital audio - optical or coaxial). Part of the description reads "This unit has 2 audio/video inputs and 2 audio inputs to allow users to enjoy entertainment from other sources such as Satellite Radio, Cable and Satelite TV, VCR's Digital Cameras, Video Game players and a convenient 3.5mm Audio input on the front panel for iPods and MP3 Players. These sources must be connected through the four inputs on the unit or through additional accessory wall plates. The accessory page lists an onyX wall plate for onyX receiver installation. It did not come with that wall plate.

I'm satelite radio stupid and can't tell you more. I found something that looks like the Genesis 3.0 at Concertone® Home Page called a ZX-800. I'm guessing Concertone makes this and re-labels it for Forest River. Now that makes me shiver just a bit.

Your Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604WS may not come with the same sound system.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:31 PM   #7
Site Team

Back in December I took a tour of the plant in Rialto CA. The FR rep pointed out the different antenna they were currently using (I think it was on the Shockwave). It looked similar to the Jack antenna instead of the batwing. He said something about going back to the other type next year due to cost. With the tour being in Dec. 2012 not sure if he meant 2013 or on the 2014 model.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:08 PM   #8
rip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terier View Post
Back in December I took a tour of the plant in Rialto CA. The FR rep pointed out the different antenna they were currently using (I think it was on the Shockwave). It looked similar to the Jack antenna instead of the batwing. He said something about going back to the other type next year due to cost. With the tour being in Dec. 2012 not sure if he meant 2013 or on the 2014 model.
Thanks Terier. I saw some Salems last year that had the Winegard RS-3000 Roadstar antennas installed. They are omni-directional and say they don't have to be aimed. I am unsure about their reception and thought they were less expensive than old or current Sensars. It looked like a 2" thick round dinner plate.

Think I'd rather have one that can be aimed.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:43 PM   #9

Quote:
I, for one, thank you for this thread. I'm about to order a Rockwood 2604WS and you have made me aware of questions I need to ask.
One of them will be is the radio satellite ready. My XM and I are inseparable.

Thanks for the heads up,
Wright
Our V-Lite came with ZX 800 and with XM Docking station with the XM Ant. The whole Con.System has been Flawless,after Bob Fields helped us figure it out. Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:02 AM   #10

Quote:
Your Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604WS may not come with the same sound system.
Ah, but thanks to this thread, I'll know what to order. I figure if I'm ordering a trailer built to my specs, I should get what I want. Right?

Wright
2010 Tundra 4X4 5.7L V8
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
Old 02-08-2013, 09:14 AM   #11
Always Learning

Quote:
Ah, but thanks to this thread, I'll know what to order. I figure if I'm ordering a trailer built to my specs, I should get what I want. Right? Wright
Right Wright -

That's mostly right. The factory will have a preset list of options that you can choose from- much like a menu. Anything outside of that will be dealer installed options.

For me, I knew exactly what I wanted and had the order sheet already. I was able to email a couple of dealers and get one "out the door" price to compare apples to apples.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:48 AM   #12

My understanding is that the only difference between the III and IV on the Sensar is the Wingman add on. I think this can be bought for like $30 and then snapped right on.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:41 PM   #13
rip

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Our V-Lite came with ZX 800 and with XM Docking station with the XM Ant. The whole Con.System has been Flawless,after Bob Fields helped us figure it out. Youroo!!
After your post, I went out and searched my cabinets and walls to see if I could find a docking station wall plate. Never found one, oh well.
Old 02-09-2013, 01:13 PM   #14
rip

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
My understanding is that the only difference between the III and IV on the Sensar is the Wingman add on. I think this can be bought for like $30 and then snapped right on.
That's what Lou says in another post on Antennas under the Palomino trailer thread. He posted a nice VHF and UHF element explanation too.

I thought this over more after my initial disappointment. Forest River customers still buying Sensar patches for old model antennas to make them current on brand new trailers... it just doesn't seem like a Forest River way of doing things.

Tags
antenna