Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-05-2012, 08:22 PM   #1

2013 Rockwood 8280 Diamond Pkg ?

Hi all. We currently own a Sabre 32QBDS and are looking at going back to a more manageable 5er. We really like the Rockwood 8280WS or the Flagstaff 8528RKS. I have some questions:

1. Are these units exactly the same?
2. Any preference in build quality or options?
3. We noticed the floor layout on FR website for the Rockwood shows the toilet in a different position (in the rounded corner) with a full-height cabinet where the toilet used to be. I found one model that has this. What's funny is that eveyone we have looked at have the toilet with a dinky cab above and nothing in the curved wall area.
4. OK question on the stereo. Jensen or Genesys? Prefer the Jensen. Genesys gets poor reception, worthless sub-woofer and outside speakers are very tinny.
5. We love the framelsee windows. What is the Thermo Pane Window? Is this a double?

Both units are very nice with almost everything we want in our unit. We really miss having a rear kitchen with a 30-31' 5 er.

Thanks for any feedback on these units.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:34 PM   #2

Just one thing. Your Sabre probably has 5/8ths inch thick plywood in the floor. The Rockwood/Flagstaffs use a vacuum-bonded luan/styrofoam/luan sandwich, and that luan isn't very thick.
Because of that, there is the potential for soft spots to appear, as the luan and styrofoam gets crushed, especially in high traffic areas.
I'm not saying it is a deal-breaker, but just be aware of it.

Unfortunately, this sandwich floor construction is becoming very common, and I think it is just a way for the factory to save money.
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:45 PM   #3

I read something about that. Always a little nervous about the super lites. Our last unit was a Jayco and it had some skimpy things done to it so it would be lighter. Considered the Wildcat Maxx (West coast) - like the bones of the unit (16" tires, 6000 axle, big appliances - fridge, oven, WH, big tanks, lots of flood/ceiling insulation (R38)) but the DW did not like the interior decor, seemed a little cheap or at least not as nice as the Rockwood/Flagstaff. It's GVWR is 11,615, but it has a CCC of 3,100 so I had some leeway and don't travle with 4 50 gal tanks full. Thought it might be real nice towing the 8280WS. Probably wouldn't even know it's back there.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:16 PM   #4
Paul & Sheri

We absolutely love out 8280WS. The toilet is under one cabinet. There are two cabs in the bathroom alone and more than enough storage through out. The radio is a Genesis and mine broke the first month. They do not have good ratings but that's a minor problem overall. Being ultralight I tow it with a Ford F150 6cyl EcoBoost with max tow very nicely. Not many 30' 5ers can be towed with a 1/2 ton pickup.
2004 T@B T-16
pwb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:18 PM   #5

They are light, but they are still fairly tall, and so still push a lot of wind.
I also thought I wouldn't feel it with our F250 diesel, but I do know it is back there.
But you are right, the fit and finish, and general rich look to the campers, are a real attraction.
We actually love our "lightweight" Flagstaff fifth.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:22 PM   #6

pwb01, that EcoBeast is not really a "half-ton", as the payload capacity is greater than some older 3/4 tons.
My friend pulled our fifth home one day with his EcoBeast, and to be honest, I couldn't see much difference between it and our F250 with the 7.3 diesel.
But I wouldn't pull with a Dodge or Chev 1/2 ton, as the pin weight alone maxes out their payload capacity, even with these "lightweight" fifths.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:21 AM   #7

We toured the factory when we picked up our FW in Indiana last month. We did not get the Diamond package, as we prefer to have the windows open a bit more than the frameless windows do.

Also, it was stated in the tour, that now there is an option for a second a/c unit, due to the darker roof material. Just something to consider.

2016 Flagstaff 8528CKWSA
2012 GMC Sierra 2500HD 6.0L

RalphieAdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:11 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphieadie View Post
Also, it was stated in the tour, that now there is an option for a second a/c unit, due to the darker roof material. Just something to consider.
Very good to know. Even a pre-wiring option for a 2nd A/C will require 50A service. The 50A service would be great to have even without actually having the 2nd A/C. You'll find that 30A service is lacking to be able to run everything.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 05:38 PM   #9

I understand what ur saying Dave. We have 50A in our Sabre and my problem with that is the size, weight and amt of storage it takes-up. We've always had 30A running electric w/h, 15 k A/C and our ceramic heater witout any problems. Of course we don't run them all at the same time.

Now if we could only decide on the 5th wheel we want - Flagstaff, Rockwood or Wildcat

Thanks, Mike
Old 11-06-2012, 09:18 PM   #10
Paul & Sheri

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakken View Post
pwb01, that EcoBeast is not really a "half-ton", as the payload capacity is greater than some older 3/4 tons.
My friend pulled our fifth home one day with his EcoBeast, and to be honest, I couldn't see much difference between it and our F250 with the 7.3 diesel.
But I wouldn't pull with a Dodge or Chev 1/2 ton, as the pin weight alone maxes out their payload capacity, even with these "lightweight" fifths.
True, the capacities make it more than a 1/2 ton eventhough "everybody knows" an F150 is a 1/2 ton. I think the pin load cap alone is 1800#. EcoBeast, I like that.

The light weight Rockwood is a good match where you only need a $35,000 tow vehicle and not a $60,000 one.
2004 T@B T-16
pwb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 04:17 AM   #11

Just got home after picking up our new 8280 Diamond back east at RV Direct, Just love the trailer only problem after 3600 miles was the switch control panel poped off the wall, easy fix. pulled it home with out 04 dodge 1500 no power problems but the dodge was like rideing a brick. went out three days after getting home and pickup a like new f-250, much nicer ride.
looked at the 8280's for two years before buying and after 15 nights in it we ask why did we wait so long.

Gary
cactus05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:57 AM   #12

Flagstaff owner

We looked at both Rockwood and Flagstaff....the diamond package is a must and imo is best 4k ever spent.....big a/c and it cycles on and off during 100+ and 100% humidity days while parked on gravel with no shade. Yes DW does pop a breaker rarely...we have the smallest one with DR slide and WR slide with table and chairs....so much storage we can t fill it all.....got swivel chairs in the rear instead of bayonet couch....it also has garden shower and sink in bed room with means no tight area for dressing and plenty of room to make the bed....toilet in room to itself.....
The weight loaded to camp is just under 8k which give you 1k cushion....
so the tires are only support 80% of the posted weight.....pin wt never over 1400 lbs.....I like a heavy pin but so far no problems of any kind....
But folks that pull with 1/2 T do get some chucking and 18 wheelers give a little trouble....but the trailer goes coast to coast and north to south..
with a 1/2 ton.....but with the problems I mentioned...the counter tops are worth the 4k.....for the diamond package....it is a two person unit...
Grandkids and kids have to bring tents if they want to camp with us....
We do have a blowup bed if needed though......good luck with your shopping.....for us this unit is the bomb....and everyone in CG always wants a tour and loves it......if you are near our dealer make the trip, if not make the trip anyway......

2011 Silverado 2500HD 6.0 Gas 3.73
2013 Flagstaff 8524 RLWS
1978 Cape Dory Ketch
sail2liv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:18 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by sail2liv View Post
We looked at both Rockwood and Flagstaff....the diamond package is a must and imo is best 4k ever spent.....big a/c and it cycles on and off during 100+ and 100% humidity days while parked on gravel with no shade. Yes DW does pop a breaker rarely...we have the smallest one with DR slide and WR slide with table and chairs....so much storage we can t fill it all.....got swivel chairs in the rear instead of bayonet couch....it also has garden shower and sink in bed room with means no tight area for dressing and plenty of room to make the bed....toilet in room to itself.....
The weight loaded to camp is just under 8k which give you 1k cushion....
so the tires are only support 80% of the posted weight.....pin wt never over 1400 lbs.....I like a heavy pin but so far no problems of any kind....
But folks that pull with 1/2 T do get some chucking and 18 wheelers give a little trouble....but the trailer goes coast to coast and north to south..
with a 1/2 ton.....but with the problems I mentioned...the counter tops are worth the 4k.....for the diamond package....it is a two person unit...
Grandkids and kids have to bring tents if they want to camp with us....
We do have a blowup bed if needed though......good luck with your shopping.....for us this unit is the bomb....and everyone in CG always wants a tour and loves it......if you are near our dealer make the trip, if not make the trip anyway......
Same here. Just got ours and love the storage space. Its perfect for the two of us. We selected this unit for its size and amenities, as we are planning many cross country trips and, fingers crossed, heading to Alaska.

2016 Flagstaff 8528CKWSA
2012 GMC Sierra 2500HD 6.0L

RalphieAdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 11:40 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sail2liv View Post
with a 1/2 ton.
That hasn't been my experience. I've pulled our 8280WS with a '05 Ram 1500 for 2 years before the F250 in my sig. With a pin weight around 1250 lbs and air bags @ 25 psi, I didn't ever have an issue with chucking...it's definitely prone to chucking with the F250 even though the pin weight is now closer to 1350 lbs. Go figure...

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 11:36 PM   #15

Rookey, I just purchased a 2013 Rockwood 8289WS w/ Diamond Package. I did look at both the Flagstaff and the Wildcat prior to purchase. The Flagstaff and the Rockwood were essentially identical, and little things ruled out the Wildcat (like smaller 74" master bed) If you have narrowed down to Flagstaff and Rockwood, I would obtain a sales offer on both and then evaluate. Also consider which dealer is closer to where you live, closer is better. The frameless windows are a nice addition with the Diamond Pkg as well as the Corian countertops, but the Diamond Pkg will cost you another 3K to 3.5K. Also, the colored fiberglass exterior is not a "painted" exterior, but supposed to help hide the white streaking. Interiors fabrics were different between the Flagstaff and the Rockwood also, not a biggie, but we liked the darker leather and window coverings.

Good luck!

2005 GMC 2500HD, Duramax/Allison
Reese R16/16K w/ Reese Revolution
2013 Rockwood 8289WS w/ Diamond Package
MOJO13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:43 PM   #16

Thanks for the feedback and congratulations on your new 5ers. Talked with three different dealers and it sounds like these units are selling as fast as they come in. Good to hear. We are going for the Rockwood. 8280. Our dealer that sold us the Sabre is going to consign our Sabre (did this with him on our last unit - Jayco and it was gone fast). He also gave us a price that beat RV Wholesalers. If I lived back East I'd definitely use them though. They've been very nice to me.). Anyway, we will pull the trigger after our planned trip to Bodega Bay over President's holiday in Feb.
On another note: Pretty excited about the Reese Revolution. I have the Pullrite Superslide that we've been very happy with. I have been looking at different options for a hitch. Not sure if I can use the existing brackets and bars for the superslide and buy a fixed Pullrite hitch or if I should just go to a Reese hitch? I need to call Pullrite. Has anyone gone through a similar choice?

Tags