Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2013, 04:31 PM   #1

2014 Rockwood 2604WS

Received my new 2604WS a few weeks ago will make my first camping trip on the 17 May. excellent trailer,only problem I see is there is no 110 outlets on the counter. only plug is on the side when you enter the rear door. I feel that this may be a safety problem. Have contacted FR they said they would look into it.
Erniem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 04:57 PM   #2

Curious as to why you think it is a safety problem? It is the same on most trailers. The walls are not thick enough to run wiring and electrical boxes in the walls to have plugs behind the counters, so they are put on the cabinets below. Granted, not quite as convenient, but works fine in our 2304s. We just unplug things when not in use. Stuff can't stay on the counters when travelling, anyway. I don't think you need to worry. Just get out there and
2012 Rockwood UltraLite 2304s trailer
timarti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 06:43 AM   #3

I understand what you are saying, I just think the plug should be in front of the cabinet and not by the door were someone could catch the cord when entering the trailer. Thanks for your comeback, I will have fun.
Old 05-18-2013, 08:06 AM   #4
AKA: 'tiredTeacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erniem View Post
I understand what you are saying, I just think the plug should be in front of the cabinet and not by the door were someone could catch the cord when entering the trailer.
We put a cup hook above the receptacle, close to the counter top overhang. Routing the wires through the hook holds them up and tight to the cabinet. Works great.

Teach
2010 Tundra 4X4 5.7L V8
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows.
awellis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:43 PM   #5

I wanted a countertop outlet on our 2604, so I mounted a surface mount box on the wall half way between the sink and edge of the countertop. I put it as close to the countertop as I could, then ran the wire out of the bottom of the box, through the countertop, routed it to the electrical box on the cabinet side by the door, and wired it in there. It's nice not having the appliance wires hanging over the side of the countertop.
2011 Rockwood 2604
K_and_I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 05:08 AM   #6

Hello K and I
That sounds like a great Mod. I will have to look into that.thank you for information
Happy Camping

Erniem
2011 Dodge Ram 2500 5.7
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
Old 06-13-2013, 05:19 AM   #7
MI Camperz

Quote:
Originally Posted by timarti View Post
Curious as to why you think it is a safety problem? It is the same on most trailers. The walls are not thick enough to run wiring and electrical boxes in the walls to have plugs behind the counters, so they are put on the cabinets below. Granted, not quite as convenient, but works fine in our 2304s. We just unplug things when not in use. Stuff can't stay on the counters when travelling, anyway. I don't think you need to worry. Just get out there and
I'm not following this. We have plugs all over the place...by counters, above sinks (water safety type), in walls (both outside walls and inside walls), outside, etc.
Old 06-13-2013, 05:47 AM   #8

Hello bodzcampers
Your lucky to have all outlets that you mentioned, I think this problem is only on the new 2014 Rockwood 2604WS and the only plug is by the door entrance .Awellis3 and K and I have come up with a couple of Mods that I may try.
I brought it to the attention of Steve at Forest River and he told me he would look into it. Thanks for your input.
Old 06-13-2013, 06:13 AM   #9

Erniem; I did just the opposite of what K and I did. I removed the microwave and used the power source there to put a surface mount outlet right up against the bottom of the overhead cabinet, this way there was no way water could get splashed on it from the sink when we had our 2604.

2012 Winnebago "Journey To Insanity" 40U
2008 Dakota Sport 4x4
2004 Subaru Baja - DW's
2006 Honda Shadow Aero - TOAD for now.
F.R.O.G. member
lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 06:25 AM   #10

Hello Lindy
That also sounds like a great idea,going to look into that one

Thanks and happy camping
Old 06-13-2013, 08:14 AM   #11
MI Camperz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erniem View Post
Hello bodzcampers
Your lucky to have all outlets that you mentioned, I think this problem is only on the new 2014 Rockwood 2604WS and the only plug is by the door entrance .Awellis3 and K and I have come up with a couple of Mods that I may try.
I brought it to the attention of Steve at Forest River and he told me he would look into it. Thanks for your input.
Wow. I thought I was missing something technical. Wouldn't your camper be 26' long? Strange that it would only have one plug.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:32 AM   #12
AKA: 'tiredTeacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodzcampers View Post
Wow. I thought I was missing something technical. Wouldn't your camper be 26' long? Strange that it would only have one plug.
LOL! It has three outlets in the bedroom, one in the bath, one at the TV and two in the living area, but only one within reach of the kitchen counter. That's the one under discussion.

Teach
2010 Tundra 4X4 5.7L V8
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows.
awellis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:15 AM   #13
Playtime III

Use caution if you tap into the microwave outlet. On my TT it was a separate circuit and not protected by GFCI. I used it to power a second portable heater at night (the DW kept getting woken up by the furnace when it fired). Two 1500w heaters on the same circuit will blow the 15a circuit breaker
800 wd/dual cam sc
Playtime III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:27 AM   #14
MI Camperz

Quote:
Originally Posted by awellis3 View Post
LOL! It has three outlets in the bedroom, one in the bath, one at the TV and two in the living area, but only one within reach of the kitchen counter. That's the one under discussion.

Teach
See? I knew I missed something....In that case, I concur that the one kitchen plug should not be by the door. Who uses a toaster and coffee maker by the door?
Old 06-13-2013, 01:54 PM   #15

By hooking the 2nd kitchen outlet into the microwave circuit it allows you to use the coffee pot on one, and a toaster on the other being as they are on separate circuits. We plugged the coffee pot in the plug by the door and run the cord behind the storage compartment door. This allow easy access to the coffee pot when DW was cooking.

2012 Winnebago "Journey To Insanity" 40U
2008 Dakota Sport 4x4
2004 Subaru Baja - DW's
2006 Honda Shadow Aero - TOAD for now.
F.R.O.G. member
lindy is offline   Reply With Quote