Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2019, 06:25 PM   #1

2015 2109S has no underbelly covering??

Hi all,

First TT purchase in the works. I'm seriously considering purchasing a used 2109S from a private party that's in really good shape and fits our small couples camper needs.

An area of concern, is that it has no covering as an underbelly. Viewing from the bottom you can see all exposed, the holding tanks etc. I'll be looking at it again for further inspection. I'll check and see if I can see where screws may have been installed and it was maybe removed too.

I'm concerned about travel damage, more rodent infestation, maybe even less aerodynamics. Should it have something installed-not expecting or needing it to be 4-season type setup.

1) Are there TT like this model/year that came out with no underbelly covering.

2) If I purchase, should i just go ahead and install something myself.

Thoughts,
Thank you
roligmue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 06:42 PM   #2

We have a 2015 and it has no underbelly cover. Makes it easier to check the stuff underneath. Great trailer though. Its definitely a little aerodynamically challenged.like towing a brick down the road but that never bothered us.
Old 04-03-2019, 08:46 PM   #3
Site Team

Our former 2007 Rockwood had no enclosed underbelly.
Never had any issues in the 10 years we owned it.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 02:24 PM   #4
Site Team

Ours doesn't have any underbelly covering, but that doesn't bother me.

It's pretty easy to add it if you'd like. Just get some sheets of Coroplast, Gorilla tape, some self-drilling screws, some closed cell foam sheeting, and strips of aluminum or lumber to help support it and cover it up.
Old 04-04-2019, 02:37 PM   #5

Our 2015 Mini Lite (2504S) didnt have an enclosed underbelly. If I remember correctly, it wasnt even an option. You could always enclose it yourself if you were so inclined. Personally, I dont know that I have gained / lost anything between having it enclosed or having it open. Though I believe there is a percentage of people the prefer being able to access everything without needing to take the underbelly down (and ultimately reinstall after). My thought would be the main benefit is to help keep things warm when its cold and keep things cooler when its hot. But we havent noticed any difference. If you like the trailer, I wouldnt let that be a reason to not purchase it, but thats just my $0.02

Old 04-04-2019, 03:08 PM   #6

I believe its a fairly knew idea in the rv world and some would say a marketing ploy so they can call a camper extended season or thermal pack or whatever the try to sell some cheep corlopast attached to the underside. Does minium to help in cold weather camping but is better then nothing. Would be an easy upgrade I wouldn't let it change my mine if you like the unit.
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 03:15 PM   #7

Our ML23FB is also not enclosed, I actually prefer it that way.
Makes it easier to work on!
If we did four season camping we would have to enclose it but from what I have seen is if you do not have heat vents in the floor (we do not) they do not enclose the under belly.

2019 Ford F-250 Super Cab 6.2L Lariat
2016 ML23FB (Sold March 2024)
2024 ML25SRK
MT Biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 04:20 PM   #8

Guys,
Thanks for the insight and taking the time to respond. I feel better, and am intending to move forward with the purchase.

I think I’ll try a season to see how things go and decide later if I want to cover/insulate the bottom or not.

Regards
roligmue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 12:58 PM   #9

Our 2005 Flagstaff TT had an underbelly !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 01:34 PM   #10

Enclosed underbelly may be a newer standard feature.

I have a 2018 Rockwood 2507S and it does have enclosed underbelly. Maybe this is recently made standard option?
Wishbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 03:04 PM   #11

2005 is sure not recent !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 03:52 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by roligmue View Post
Hi all,

First TT purchase in the works. I'm seriously considering purchasing a used 2109S from a private party that's in really good shape and fits our small couples camper needs.

An area of concern, is that it has no covering as an underbelly. Viewing from the bottom you can see all exposed, the holding tanks etc. I'll be looking at it again for further inspection. I'll check and see if I can see where screws may have been installed and it was maybe removed too.

I'm concerned about travel damage, more rodent infestation, maybe even less aerodynamics. Should it have something installed-not expecting or needing it to be 4-season type setup.

1) Are there TT like this model/year that came out with no underbelly covering.

2) If I purchase, should i just go ahead and install something myself.

Thoughts,
Thank you
Our 15 2109s did not have the under belly cover, not sure you gain much unless ducting heat between it and the floor. Had a leak once from a fresh water tank sensor. Water followed a frame member and dripped 2-3 feet from the actual leak. Less work finding the source without a cover.
Freetyme is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
210, 2109s, cover, underbelly