Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-07-2016, 04:16 PM   #1

2016 Rockwood 8311ws

Hello everyone, this is my very first post on this forum I have enjoyed all the knowledge I have gained from previous posts on this forum.
Me and my wife and six-year-old daughter have been camping in my parents travel trailer for the last two years and finally decided to purchase our own. We probably looked at 50 different travel trailers in the last three months and this trailer has the floorplan we like the best. I was curious if anybody out there has any experience with the 8311 trailer? Also the dealer through in a Anderson Hitch to close the deal any thoughts if that hitch will be sufficient? I will be using a 2015 2500hd crew cab 6 1/2 foot box with the Duramax motor.
Red dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 05:09 PM   #2

Don't know anything about the trailer but the truck is awesome. Bought mine July 2015 and like everyone says can't seem to wipe the grin off my face when pulling down the highway. Congratulations your gonna like it for sure. Someone else will need to respond regarding the trailer.
Semi-Retired February 3, 2014
Bob & Cindy
Lvn2tvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 06:00 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply, I had a 2005 that i bought new it also had the D-max and it only had 40,000 miles on it, it was in excellent shape I probably should've just kept it but my father-in-law bought a 2015 and he let me drive it back from a trip we were on. I said wow this is a nice truck that's what got the ball rolling, The rest of my family wasn't going to be home for a few days so I cleaned up my 05 real good and took it to the dealership. I guess they really wanted a pre-omissions Duramax because I think I got a pretty fair deal. So far I really like it hopefully I don't have too much trouble with the omissions stuff. I ended up getting the high country trim with all the bells and whistles still trying to find the pot of gold they must've hit in it to make him cost so much!!

I wonder if the 8311ws is a fairly new model because I haven't seen very many posts on them yet/reviews.
Old 01-11-2016, 12:50 AM   #4
I go RV'ing not Camping

You definitely have enough truck for that trailer...My trailer weighs more than yours and I would say that the Anderson hitch wouldn't be enough hitch for my trailer by just a little....I think you will be good with your particular trailer and that hitch.
1400lbs Equal-i-zer Hitch
jgourlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 12:49 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red dog View Post
Thanks for the reply, I had a 2005 that i bought new it also had the D-max and it only had 40,000 miles on it, it was in excellent shape I probably should've just kept it but my father-in-law bought a 2015 and he let me drive it back from a trip we were on. I said wow this is a nice truck that's what got the ball rolling, The rest of my family wasn't going to be home for a few days so I cleaned up my 05 real good and took it to the dealership. I guess they really wanted a pre-omissions Duramax because I think I got a pretty fair deal. So far I really like it hopefully I don't have too much trouble with the omissions stuff. I ended up getting the high country trim with all the bells and whistles still trying to find the pot of gold they must've hit in it to make him cost so much!!

I wonder if the 8311ws is a fairly new model because I haven't seen very many posts on them yet/reviews.
Welcome Red Dog! We bought the 8310ss last spring, and LOVE IT! basically the same floor plan. Ours sleeps 4 if you use the pullout. Just DW and me, so it is perfect for us. Once I got our hitch configuration set up properly, we had no issues towing it across the prairies and into Banff. Pulling with an F150 Ecoboost. Often could barely tell I had a TT behind me. Havent had any major issues with the TT, and our dealer has been awesome. Only change I would suggest to FR is place the kitchen sink with full clearance above. Washing dishes requires a little contortionism. Do get good wheel chocks. I find the trailer rocks a little when DW walks around (worse when I walk around she says!!). These help as do manual leveling jacks behind the wheels.

Nights Glamped - 2015 - 24
Nights Glamped - 2016 - 2018 - Seasonal
Nights Glamped - 2019 - on the road again!!
wpgman19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 09:18 PM   #6

Thanks for the reply wpgman19, my family is very excited for this upcoming season. What kind of hitch do you use with the ford? I think that's pretty good advice to have a few extra stabilizer jacks to support the camper. Is it pretty cold in Canada this time of year? I'm in Iowa and we have had a nice cold spell the last few days. Thanks again for the reply��
Old 01-12-2016, 09:17 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red dog View Post
Thanks for the reply wpgman19, my family is very excited for this upcoming season. What kind of hitch do you use with the ford? I think that's pretty good advice to have a few extra stabilizer jacks to support the camper. Is it pretty cold in Canada this time of year? I'm in Iowa and we have had a nice cold spell the last few days. Thanks again for the reply��
I use a REESE 1000/10000 WDH and a sway bar. (actually got a 2nd sway bar for using this year, just to improve handling during higher wind conditions). -40 with windchill the last couple days. A little cool for camping, but awesome for sitting in the hot tub staring at the stars!

Nights Glamped - 2015 - 24
Nights Glamped - 2016 - 2018 - Seasonal
Nights Glamped - 2019 - on the road again!!
wpgman19 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rockwood