Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2019, 07:42 PM   #1

2018 2606ws out, in with the 2020 2891BH

Moving on up! 2606ws has been stellar, just too small. Moving up in size!!
Old 08-02-2019, 12:40 PM   #2
Befuddled wanderer

WOOT! Join the club! I just brought mine home a couple weeks ago:
Click image for larger version

Name:	2020 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2891BH.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	550.4 KB
ID:	211400

Interestingly enough, the dealer told us it is a 2020 model and it is titled as a 2020 model, but everything about it matches what Forest River published about the 2019 model and not what they published about the 2020 model. I'm curious to know what model year info yours matches.

In case you are curious, here is the floor plan as published for the 2019 model:

Name:	2019 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2891BH Floor Plan.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	125.0 KB
ID:	211401

And here is the 2020 model:

Name:	2020 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2891BH Floor Plan.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	211402

The differences I found are three: 1) The bunkhouse arrangement is slightly different and 2020 loses the washer/dryer prep. 2) The fridge and pantry swap positions, and 3) The master bedroom loses the dresser next to the left side of the bed.

2020 Rockwood Ultra Light 2891 BH
1996 Dodge Ram 3500 dually 8.0L V10

"Si Quaeris Peninsulam Amoenam Circumspice"
cc102bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 12:49 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc102bob View Post
WOOT! Join the club! I just brought mine home a couple weeks ago:
Attachment 211400

Interestingly enough, the dealer told us it is a 2020 model and it is titled as a 2020 model, but everything about it matches what Forest River published about the 2019 model and not what they published about the 2020 model. I'm curious to know what model year info yours matches.

In case you are curious, here is the floor plan as published for the 2019 model:
Attachment 211401

And here is the 2020 model:
Attachment 211402

The differences I found are three: 1) The bunkhouse arrangement is slightly different and 2020 loses the washer/dryer prep. 2) The fridge and pantry swap positions, and 3) The master bedroom loses the dresser next to the left side of the bed.
They start labeling rigs with the new model year around March/April, but don't make the actual new model year changes until mid-summer. Well known "fact." Lots of threads here about folks with an early build model year that looks just like the previous late model year.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 01:06 PM   #4
Befuddled wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
They start labeling rigs with the new model year around March/April, but don't make the actual new model year changes until mid-summer. Well known "fact." Lots of threads here about folks with an early build model year that looks just like the previous late model year.
Ahh... Interesting. I didn't dig around enough to know that was a common thing. Makes sense in my case, I guess, as mine has a build date of 3/19.

If the truth be told, I'm glad I got the 2019 version. I don't care much for the changes they made for 2020.

Old 08-02-2019, 04:09 PM   #5

I think I agree, the newer changes are not things I probably would have asked for, mostly in the loss of some needed storage areas. Bummer. But the layout is what we wanted, washer dryer not a big deal for us. outside storage is though. But the outside kitchen is coming out. It is what it is and we will use it with glee
Old 08-02-2019, 04:14 PM   #6

I wish they would drop a microwave/convection oven in it. wonder if they flattened the counter over the fireplace.
Old 08-14-2019, 11:58 AM   #7

So i contacted FR and they denied that new layout is being manufactured. I have been unable to find it anywhere else on the internet so am left pretty much not knowing which interior I will get. Will let you know as soon as I see it, lol.
Old 08-14-2019, 01:01 PM   #8
Befuddled wanderer

The dealer where we bought ours claims to have another one on order. I've been watching their website so I can see their pictures when they get it in. Unfortunately, I have no idea how long it will be until they get theirs in.

It is a bit strange that the dealer website shows a floor plan that is different than what is shown on the Forest River website, but I suppose that Forest River may not update their website to show the next year's models until late in the calendar year.

On a positive note, so far we are quite pleased with ours. We did a two-week outing close to home to try and find out if there were any issues that needed to be resolved. We ended up with a fairly short list of minor things and the dealer didn't give us any hassle about fixing any of them. The unit is there now, so we'll see just how well they do in the actual repairs. I just wish the dealer could have been a bit more specific around the actual repair dates. I called to schedule the fixes and they gave me a date to drop it off. When I dropped it off I was thinking three or four days max, but nooo... They gave me a promise date two weeks out. Oh well, as long as they meet their promise date, I'll be good.

Here's a heads up for other 2891BH owners: When I first brought the trailer home I played around a bit with putting fresh water in the various tanks and then letting them dump in our driveway so I could get an idea of how well things appeared to flush out. I wasn't real impressed with how well the black tank flushed. Apparently the plumbing is such that there isn't a good straight flow from the black tank out. I'm planning on making sure I take extra care to get the blank tank cleaned out as good as possible each time to prevent build up of solids in the tank. I suppose this problem isn't unique to this model. My previous trailer didn't flush that well either, so learned to be deliberate about how I dumped that one as well.

YakFishingFool - You mentioned that you are planning on removing the outside kitchen. What are you going to do with that space? We're not entirely sold on the usefulness of that kitchen either, so I'm curious what other uses it might have. I've debated whether or not a big drawer-style fridge would fit in there and if it would be worth the $'s necessary to buy it. We're just going to use it as-is for now, but I would be interested in seeing how you modify yours.

Old 08-14-2019, 07:39 PM   #9

I will remove the grill and put in storage. I will put an outside bar in there as we often like to sit and have a docktail with friends. She will be set up permanently for now so not worried about the grill. We have an outdoor kitchen set up and we have never cooked in our rigs going back to 1998? Use the microwave and that is it. Always prefer outdoor living. I have a fridge freezer in our shed, 3.6 cubic feet? Plenty of room. So liquor it will be!!
Old 08-14-2019, 08:26 PM   #10
Befuddled wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakfishingfool View Post
Always prefer outdoor living. I have a fridge freezer in our shed, 3.6 cubic feet? Plenty of room. So liquor it will be!!
WOOT! It's important to get your priorities correct!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	priorities.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	212411  

Old 09-15-2019, 06:12 PM   #11

Hey CC, new rig in florida, no inside pics yet but the changes I am seeing are really low impact. The switched the toilet and the sink, haven't see many other changes that stand out on that much. I do think they cleaned up the pass through to make it a little head room in there, buried the ducts a bit and moved the water filter out of that compartment but i am unable to confirm it. The total lack of information out there on this rig is amazing! You tube has like 2 or three videos and that is it . Scott
Old 09-23-2019, 06:56 AM   #12
Befuddled wanderer

I just got back from what is probably our last outing for the year and we are still quite pleased with our unit. I have had some minor issues, but nothing that would be considered "model specific" issues - more like "RV industry" type issues. Probably the only "model specific" issue we have is in the bunkhouse. The big closet doors rub on the top bunk when opened. I haven't had time to see if I can figure out a fix for that yet.

I did a search to try and find some pics of the changes you mentioned and found one dealer site that showed the changes to the bathroom and pass through storage compartment. I think those changes are a good thing and kind of wish ours was set up that way. I guess I'll have to live with the bathroom arrangement in ours, but I am going to investigate moving the water filter out to a location that is more accessible. Having the water filter buried behind a panel probably protects it from damage a bit better, but changing the filter is a PITA.

I wonder just what the lead time is on a new Rockwood is these days. When we purchased ours at the beginning of July our dealer's website indicated that they had another one on order. As far as I know they have not yet received it. They changed their website to no longer show units on order, so I have no idea whether or not they are still trying to get one in stock.

Old 02-10-2020, 08:22 PM   #13

Looking at a 2891 BH

Hello everyone. I know this is an older thread but hoping one of you relatively new owners of the 2891 BH will chime in. I was just curious what actual hitch weight new owners were seeing once loaded up with propane, batteries, and gear (but water tanks empty).

When I got my travel trailer, my actual tongue weight was several hundred pounds heavier than advertised by the time propane, batteries, and gear were added. I ended up with an F250 in the end because I was going over load capacity on my Tundra. (so bonus for me convincing the wife I really did need a new truck).

The advertised hitch weight for the 2891BH is 1428 lbs. What's been y'all's experience?

Thanks in advance.

Mike
mmock12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 09:53 PM   #14
Befuddled wanderer

Mike,
I'm afraid I've never taken the time to take my rig to a scale, so I really have no idea what the exact pin weight is on my 2891BH. If I had to guess, I would say that the advertised weight of 1428 is not that far off. The way the trailer is laid out, I believe that we load approximately the same amount of weight in the front and rear of the trailer, so I'm thinking that we may have a final pin weight of 1700-1800 lbs, but that's really just a guess. I do hope to find the time to bring my rig to a scale to find out actual weights, but seeing as how I live in Michigan, that's not going to happen for at least a few more months.

I currently tow with an older Ram 3500 dually and the pin weight poses no problems for this rig. If I had to replace my truck now, I would feel very comfortable getting an F250.

Sorry I couldn't be more help!
Bob

Old 02-19-2020, 08:58 AM   #15

I learned that the pin weight should be calculated to be 20% of the complete weight of the trailer. I believe if you plan for a tongue weight of 2400 pounds you are going to be well with in the safety margin for the rig.