Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2017, 09:22 AM   #1

2018 2902WS First Time out review

Hi all,

Finally picked up our ordered 2902ws 2018 TT. All I can say is wow!! We fell in love with this floor plan back in August and placed our order soon after. We did not like the configuration or colors of ones on the lot. Delivery was smooth at RVone in Albany, aside from a few small items, we were on our way. So here are my thoughts after 4 days dry camping in rain heat and wind.

The 2902ws fits a family of 2 plus 2 dogs very well. The dedicated single bedroom with wardrobe slide creates storage options for personal belongings x 1000. Holy room! Sleeping was quiet and comfortable. I will admit 1 frame less window that opens only like 3 inches is a reach for ventilation, however, turn on the standard option fantastic fan in bathroom, and it is more than enough. We actually ordered dual fans, however, the bedroom one was not installed on delivery. We brought the TT back after trip to have it installed by the dealer. So ventilation will only improve. Bed is comfy from the factory and as a 6'2 256lb guy I could maneuver around the room easy. We just love the from window!.

Bathroom is luxurious. Our last Bathroom was cramped and this layout allows for tons of knee room. Shower is big enough for me! Love the round glass doors. Rockwood really dropped the ball on the sink. while it is very large, it is cheesy plastic and really sticks out as a miss as the camper overall is pretty high end feeling.

The doors from the bathroom to the hall and Bedroom interfere with each other. Another miss. We found leaving bathroom as entrance to both works well when we are alone. Leaving bedroom door closed most of time. FYI a door stop is needed for bedroom door.

We chose the Chaise lounge! I cannot recommend this enough! We tried the theater seats and the recliners. The theater seats are expensive, but nice. the recliners are simply dumb as there is not enough room for them to function properly. The Chaise gives you great seating, a awesome lounge, and tons of storage as well as looking really sharp! Lighting is incredible if not too much. I will complain that there are really nice push directional brushed nickel lights over couch but not over chaise. The chaise has push center lights similar to main interior lights. Would be nice to have symmetry. I would like to see the nickel lights over bed pillows as well. It is extremely bright when interior lights are on. We plan on swapping out the lights over bed pillows, and chaise with directional nickel and swapping a few of the main cabin lights with push center so they are not all on at same time. It is just too bright!

We chose the dinette option as we wanted the extra storage. very happy with our decision.

The Kitchen has so much storage and functionality it rivals our home kitchen. Definite win for Rockwood here. The pantry is insane! Overall it is simply a very spacious and functional layout.

Ok outside, this is one sharp TT! Love the 19' awning and lighting options. As you may be expecting the Slam Latch Fifth Wheel sized front storage is unreal!!!! It is the single finest upgrade Rockwood added to this unit! You will not want for additional storage. Motion lights add to pure joy of these making it so much fun to access storage. LOL. I will complain though, the drivers side slam latch storage access opens sideways and when fully open it switches the docking light on. Just poor planning on Rockwoods part. Not a big deal. I am exploring an adhesive stop. We do not like side mount grills so that will stay in garage. TV mount is nice, however, wires attach inside front storage, Good and bad I guess. Seems bad in rain.

Overall, the build quality of our unit seems very good. Fit and finish excellent. Functionality for 2 with 2 dogs is absolutely perfect. We tow with a 2016 RAM 3500 6.4L crew cab with 8'bed. Obviously towing is a non issue. I will say however that the TT does seem to ride very nice. We are using our E2 WD hitch mainly for sway control (non existent prior to reusing our WD hitch).

We are in love and cant wait for our next adventure. I hope the initial impressions stand the test of time. Especially in the leak department.

Mike and Pat
Reeffreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 09:34 AM   #2

welcome to the forum its a great place to get your questions answered. to be honest I did not read your post its just to long for me, but WOW for a first post.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 10:39 AM   #3

Congrats on your new 2902. We are wrapping our first season with our 2017 model. We love the layout too. Bathroom and kitchen with pantry are awesome. I'm jealous that we didn't wait for the exterior storage update. My storage is adequate but the new design looks amazing. Enjoy!
RShelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 09:54 PM   #4

Congrats on your new TT. We have a 2902WS also, picked up in early May. We really like this trailer, and yes, there is tons of storage. I love the pantry. When we were shopping for a new trailer, that was the first thing I would look for is pantry space. The wardrobe slide is awesome also. Happy Camping!
2018 Ram 2500
2014 Spark
gondrej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 12:49 PM   #5

Congrats!

I currently have a deposit on a new 2902WS. We too immediately liked the layout. I currently have 2010 2604SS that we have used and enjoy for 8 seasons. If you know anyone interested in a used trailer send them my way.
whealy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 10:26 AM   #6

Rear Kitchen Sway

We are looking for a new trailer and considering the 2902. In reading some forums on other brands with rear kitchens, there seemed to be some issues with excessive sway. Have any of you noticed more sway than other trailers? The specs show 11% tongue weight, which should be adequate.
Roarkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 10:57 AM   #7

Congratulations on your new trailer. I was happy to read your enthusiastic post. Since we bought our Coachman and joined this forum I found most posts to be negative. We love our Forest River trailer and I am happy to hear your report.
I wish you many good nights camping and days exploring.
Chaplain Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 11:08 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roarkr View Post
We are looking for a new trailer and considering the 2902. In reading some forums on other brands with rear kitchens, there seemed to be some issues with excessive sway. Have any of you noticed more sway than other trailers? The specs show 11% tongue weight, which should be adequate.
We don't have a 2902 but we have a rear kitchen TT and we have NEVER had sway issues.
But we have a quality 4pt Equal-i-zer with integrated sway control.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
first time