Old 02-13-2020, 10:47 PM   #1

Unhappy 2019 Rockwood Signature Warped Door Issues

Hello, being the newbie when purchasing, I noticed that the door hinge was extremely stiff. When I asked the dealer, they said it was the friction hinge. I had no idea...after delivery, I realized that the door was actually warped, it was hung with a 1/2in gap in the top right corner (that would let in flies, etc.) It was difficult to close and if it wasn't dead-bolted it would actually open on its own (not with movement...I would be sitting at my desk and then when the sun hit it...POP! it would open.)

It took me 8 months of dealing with the dealer and finally having Rockwood harass them to actually change the door out (not to mention the LIST of other things). 3 days after hanging the new door (which still seemed "off" as I could push it open...but not as bad as the old one) I tried to use the screen door for the first time. Closed it...and immediately noticed it was not locking or latching. You could push it open...or it would just open on its own. Looking at the frame, the whole thing still appears off...I'm beyond frustrated and will be calling Rockwood AGAIN...my dealer is refusing to return Rockwood's phone calls and routinely dodges them.

Has anyone experienced this? I don't know what to do but the front door is quite a big deal as I have a toddler. I have tried to trade it in because I am just done with dealing with it all but I am being quoted well below what I just paid 8 months ago.

TeachinginaRockwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 01:15 AM   #2
Site Team

I think I know who you bought from, since you live in Grand Terrace.
You do know that you don't have to use the selling dealer, right? You can ask FR for other dealers or use an independent RV shop or mobile RV tech. You just have to get pre-approval from FR and be willing be willing to be reimbursed.

2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 08:53 AM   #3
Head Rambler

Can you post pictures of the issue? It may help us help you.

But, as Dan said, contact Rockwood warranty and see if they have someone close to you that will do warranty work, or get hold of an independent service company and have them look at it and submit it to Rockwood warranty.

The framed opening is likely out of square, and if the dealer actually changed out the door they probably just forced it into the frame so it has almost the same problem as the original.

It's also likely that you don't need a new door. It just needs to be removed and the opening squared up and then reinstall the door square and true.
Old 02-14-2020, 10:59 AM   #4

I'll see if I can get pictures, I have a video of the screen door not closing and you see less of the frame at the bottom than at the top. The screen door appears to not reach the frame in order to catch. I think the biggest problem is that the steps are warped which has impacted the frame. And you are right, they did nothing with the frame...they just replaced the door.

I have been in contact with Rockwood for the last 2 months, they keep saying I can find another dealer if things aren't working out but that we need to give them "time" I went to contact my point of contact and he's now moved, divisions. So I have to start over with another person, explaining the situation etc.

I'm beginning to get worried as it been 8 months and I am getting close to the end of the warranty. The same dealership is the only Rockwood dealer in my region (they have 3-4 stores). I left a message with Rockwood today, Ill email again.
Old 02-14-2020, 11:24 AM   #5

Is this your main door? I have a Rockwood as well and have issues when I am in a campground where I am off level a lot. Seems to twist the frame more than a perfectly level spot. My feeling is that this does impact how the door closes.
bradbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 11:47 AM   #6

So these are pictures of the door before they switch it out. When they switched it out they were obviously having problems and now I don't have a gap...but I think the door jam needed to be adjusted? I don't know. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6453.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	223360

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6448.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	223361

Name:	IMG_6438.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	223362

Name:	IMG_6451.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	223363
Old 02-14-2020, 03:48 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeachinginaRockwood View Post

I'm beginning to get worried as it been 8 months and I am getting close to the end of the warranty. The same dealership is the only Rockwood dealer in my region (they have 3-4 stores). I left a message with Rockwood today, Ill email again.
they don't have to be a Rockwood dealer. a Flagstaff dealer easily could since it's a twin to the Rockwood line. but fixing the door wouldn't require them being a Rockwood dealer.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
Old 02-14-2020, 04:12 PM   #8
Canadian Member

I've had a similar issue. My door was not installed straight in the frame and I had a gap on the top latch side large enough to allow mosquitoes in. I had to stuff it with some bubble wrap. My dealer and Rockwood allowed me to use a closer, independent RV repair shop who removed and reinstalled the door straight so there is no gap. I'm still not 100% happy with these friction hinges. In the heat of last summer before I had it fixed, it creaked very loudly and felt like it might break opening it. It was better after the fix but I'd like to be able to swap the Dexter door for the one I had in my previous 2011 Rockwood TT without those friction hinges and a better screen door opener mechanism.
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 04:17 PM   #9

I would get in touch with rockwood warranty and see if the trailer could be returned to the factory to be repaired.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 04:19 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
they don't have to be a Rockwood dealer. a Flagstaff dealer easily could since it's a twin to the Rockwood line. but fixing the door wouldn't require them being a Rockwood dealer.
THANK YOU FOR THIS. I am now wondering if I have an accidentally painted Rockwood which is really a Flagstaff. My model number does not show up on any 2019 Rockwood brochures, you can't find any videos on the model, any pictures...NOTHING. I went to a local Flagstaff dealer's website and right there I found my model. I have been having issues trading it in because it won't give me true value. I also think they have the size wrong when they gave me but I didn't think I needed to actually measure the unit ./facepalm

So tired of dealing with this all!!
Old 02-14-2020, 04:36 PM   #11

That is so odd. My Rockwood has info labels in at least 3 different places I can think of off the top of my head with all pertinent info. You can't find a brand or model #? And you can take it to any Forest River dealer- not just a Flagstaff dealer.
RangeMaggotBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 04:54 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangeMaggotBob View Post
That is so odd. My Rockwood has info labels in at least 3 different places I can think of off the top of my head with all pertinent info. You can't find a brand or model #? And you can take it to any Forest River dealer- not just a Flagstaff dealer.
So I called the Flagstaff dealer and they only work on RVs purchased from them....so back to the drawing board.

My model number is a 2019 Rockwood Signature LF8295WS but I have not found ANYTHING online. If you download the 2020 and 2019 brochures it does not even list this model (its a mid bunk). The last time this was an official floorplan was 2018?

Here is my exact RV:
https://www.giantrv.com/inv/2019-For...W1099/#mainpic

And here is the exact Flagstaff match:
https://familyrvusa.com/rvs/2019-for...lite-8529brws/

You can see on the Giant RV ad, it lists it at 28ft 10in. However the 2018 brochure shows something else.
https://library.rvusa.com/brochure/2...tra%20Lite.pdf
Old 02-14-2020, 05:49 PM   #13
Site Team

You probably have a late model 8295WS holdover from the 2018 model year line. This happens quite often.
My 2016 TracerAir 255 is not listed in the 2016 brochure. It was discontinued for 2016 but it was a late 2015 build, right before the 2016 line came out.
Contact FR for some other dealers who will do the warranty work.
Equalizer WDH
Old 02-14-2020, 06:45 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
You probably have a late model 8295WS holdover from the 2018 model year line. This happens quite often.
My 2016 TracerAir 255 is not listed in the 2016 brochure. It was discontinued for 2016 but it was a late 2015 build, right before the 2016 line came out.
Contact FR for some other dealers who will do the warranty work.
How can it be listed as 19? Now I feel like I was cheated. Ive tried to trade it in to numerous dealerships and they are offering well below due to them only finding it as an 18. I feel like I have overpaid and cheated 😑
Old 02-14-2020, 07:28 PM   #15

I have a Rockwood 8310, from the time we got it the doors were difficult to close, we asked the to fix it at the Goshen frog ralley, but it didn't do much. Our floor was soft so we made arrangements to have the floor replaced at the factory. When they lifted the body off they found a cracked frame. They had lipert come and weld it. I didn't mention the door but when we set up the door closed easy.
NorSnrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 08:17 PM   #16
Canadian Member

Here’s a dealer in Alberta, Canada with the same 2019 model.

https://www.countryroadrv.ca/inv/201...84327/#mainpic

Don’t sweat the model year thing. Rockwood and Flagstaff make their major changes in a model midway through the model year. They use up parts from the previous model year before they start installing the new model year’s new features. My early-2019 is more like a late-2018 than a late-2019. I would like to have some of the new things on the late-2019 but some changes I didn’t like.

RV manufacturers are not like auto manufacturers.

2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, rockwood