Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2020, 11:34 PM   #1

2020 5th wheel Turning Point hitch

Hello Everyone,
Just picked up my Rockwood/Signature 29 ft 5th wheel.

I noticed the Turning Point Pin Box really bounces when I hit a dip. My past 5th wheel didn't bounce like that.
I'm wondering is it about the extended tongue.

I also saw about on utube about a wedge block that did not come with the trailer. I have a 2020?
Jim S JR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 07:17 AM   #2

What bounces? Are you saying the truck bounces up and down, or the hitch actual moves up and down in relation to the trailer?
And if you don't have a wedge, I'm assuming the Turning Point is locked and does not rotate?
Need a few more details.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 07:26 AM   #3
Befuddled wanderer

I have a long box truck, so I don't use the turning point feature. I have not noticed any movement of the turning point pin box while towing my fifth wheel. If you are not using the turning point feature, there are some bolts that need to be in place to lock the pin box in the correct position. If you are using the turning point feature, then you need to have that wedge block in place to keep the pin box lined up properly with your hitch.

Did you watch this YouTube video from Lippert on how to set up the turning point hitch?

2020 Rockwood Ultra Light 2891 BH
1996 Dodge Ram 3500 dually 8.0L V10

"Si Quaeris Peninsulam Amoenam Circumspice"
cc102bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 09:46 AM   #4

I have watched the video thanks. I did not see the plate on my trailer. Unless it's hidden somewhere inside the hitch.???
Old 09-16-2020, 09:53 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim S JR View Post
I have watched the video thanks. I did not see the plate on my trailer. Unless it's hidden somewhere inside the hitch.???
Time to call the dealer to find your wedge and ensure your turning point is setup correctly. Sounds like the hitch is locked so it won't rotate, so it's acting like a standard hitch. That's good if that is what you want.
But if you want to employ the benefits of the turning point, you need to understand it, unlock it, install the correct wedge for your truck hitch.
Old 09-16-2020, 09:58 AM   #6
Befuddled wanderer

Quote:
Mine came bolted to the bottom of the pin box, just like in the video. Methinks it's time to have a chat with your dealer.

Old 09-16-2020, 10:01 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
What bounces? Are you saying the truck bounces up and down, or the hitch actual moves up and down in relation to the trailer?
And if you don't have a wedge, I'm assuming the Turning Point is locked and does not rotate?
Need a few more details.

I didn't see the wedge attached to the fifth wheel? I tbnk it did not come with one.

On my old 5th wheel the truck might bounce a bit but nowhere to this extent. I am wondering if turning point hitch puts more downward pressure on the 5th wheel since it extends out farther causes it to bounce more. I can see in my rear view mirror watching it bouncing and it was a little unnerving. I was afraid the bed would hit the back of the trailer. I know this is a new trailer, maybe the different suspension maybe the culprit?

When I picked up my trailer they said my 5th wheel was set up to the correct height. I'm also wondering it that is a contributor.
Old 09-16-2020, 10:09 AM   #8

Quote:
I didn't see the wedge attached to the fifth wheel? I tbnk it did not come with one.

On my old 5th wheel the truck might bounce a bit but nowhere to this extent. I am wondering if turning point hitch puts more downward pressure on the 5th wheel since it extends out farther causes it to bounce more. I can see in my rear view mirror watching it bouncing and it was a little unnerving. I was afraid the bed would hit the back of the trailer. I know this is a new trailer, maybe the different suspension maybe the culprit?

When I picked up my trailer they said my 5th wheel was set up to the correct height. I'm also wondering it that is a contributor.
Call the dealer if you can't find your wedge.
No, the Turning Point (Revolution, Sidewinder), type hitches won't cause any more porpoising (truck bouncing), than a standard hitch. You have a different trailer with different weight balance. Might need more front weight.
Also, your truck shocks might need replacing. Most do, sooner than you would think. I recommend Bilstein 4600.
Old 09-16-2020, 10:12 AM   #9
Befuddled wanderer

How much heavier is your new trailer compared to your old one? You might just be dealing with quite a bit more pin weight than what you had before. Once you start getting close to what the rear suspension of your truck can handle, there will be a lot more movement up and down as you are driving down the road.

Old 09-16-2020, 10:22 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc102bob View Post
How much heavier is your new trailer compared to your old one? You might just be dealing with quite a bit more pin weight than what you had before. Once you start getting close to what the rear suspension of your truck can handle, there will be a lot more movement up and down as you are driving down the road.
I disagree. Anytime your rig bounces more than once (maybe twice), you have a shock, weight distribution problem, or both. If you have too much pin weight, you are usually on the overloads and you get more of jarring, rough ride than prolonged bouncing.
Old 09-16-2020, 12:29 PM   #11
Befuddled wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
I disagree. Anytime your rig bounces more than once (maybe twice), you have a shock, weight distribution problem, or both. If you have too much pin weight, you are usually on the overloads and you get more of jarring, rough ride than prolonged bouncing.
I mostly agree with what you say. I was thinking more of the "porpoising" that happens on a rough road. Before I had my current 1 ton truck I pulled with a 3/4 ton that was at it's limits. On smooth roads it was OK, but on rougher roads the weight of the trailer was able to drive the suspension down onto the bump stops much more easily and it really was just not a pleasant towing experience. Upgrading to the 1 ton truck made a world of difference on how the ride felt on rougher roads.

Old 09-16-2020, 03:32 PM   #12

Turning Point Hitch

We have had two Rockwood Ultra lites with a turning point hitch. We have also had two 5vers without a turning point hitch. So I basically know what you are seeing in the rear view mirror. I think you are seeing the normal flex of the hitch there is a rubber gasket between the turning point and the main box so the hitch can turn(when set up to do so) this gives a up and down flex when moving over any non smooth road. It looks really weird but is a normal issue with the hitch. I am not concerned when I see that now, at first it scared the crap out of me. 3yrs with first one, one year and counting with this one.
Skiveywaver3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 11:27 PM   #13

I did watch the video, Thank you. I have a 2020 F350 standard bed. I did speak to the dealer today and found the wedge. I now need to decide if I want to use the turning point option. I have a new B&W slider hitch. The turning point would take the hassle off using the slider option. To be truthful, after I broke my last rear window out of my old truck with my old fifth wheel, I've been very conscious of the turning. With this new Rockwood and the front cap, It may not even be an issue. It may clear without using all the options. Still analyzing. Thanks for the info and feedback.
Jim
Old 09-16-2020, 11:32 PM   #14

Thanks, I think you hit it right on. Had my old 5vr for 13 years. I also realized today, this one is 5 ft longer and would probably pitch more on the truck. I drove it home with minimal air in my air bags I had installed. Would probably be a good idea to put more air in them. Didn't have access to a air pump.
Thanks for the heads up!
Old 09-16-2020, 11:40 PM   #15

It's about 1000 lbs heavier. I have a 2020 f350. The trailer was fairly empty, since I just brought it home from the dealer. Once I get it loaded up, It should ride smoother. I had very little air in the airbags I had installed, I will beef that up, it should help. I didn't have a compressor with me.

Need to do some testing on it. It's a new rig, maybe i just need to get used to it???
Old 09-16-2020, 11:42 PM   #16

Thanks everyone for your feedback. Helps to analyze the issue!

Tags
5th wheel, hitch, wheel