Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2020, 10:32 PM   #21

oh, one more thing i saw on the FJ Forum was upgraded the strength of the 6 bolts on the center frame OEM.
T L Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 12:38 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by T L Johnson View Post
On the forum i'm on (FJ Cruisers), there was some talk about those bolts, yes a couple people. after crawling under the FJ, pulling off the silver plate and looking at the center frame mount OEM, then looking at the info of the left/right side mount Curt, I'm going to try the Curt, it's at the RV dealer now getting install.

will keep the 6 bold OEM, in case I want to go back.

even with the R3 WDH, it's a heavy load with the trailer, i believe it's over the weight of the tongue max, and it has some "porpoising", and the back of the FJ is wayed down a bit visibly.

At the truck scales on Tuesday it was 3250 trailer, 6,000 lbs FJ, so under the 4,700 trailer weight, but over by 430 lbs the GVWR of the FJ. i'm going to move some of the stuff i had in teh back of the FJ to the rear of the trailer, behind the axle, to get some weight off. also had two kayaks on the FJ, too.

if the new Curt hitch works, I will also try towing without the WDH a couple times.

also thinking about air bag install.

overall, it's just a lot of weight;

had a trip up near Mt. Rainer last weekend, then one day trip to coast this next weekend, close trips around home.

Good luck on your new trailer!
If the trailer only weighed 3250 then it sounds like it is pretty much empty. You shouldn't be over tongue weight with an empty trailer, especially with the wdh attached.
I'm no expert on towing, but here's what etrailer said on reducing porpoising:
"Weight distribution spring bar tension can be increased by tilting the head toward the trailer so that the ends of the spring bars are closer to the ground. Once connected to the lift brackets this increased angle translates into more tension, which shifts more trailer tongue weight (TW) forward onto the tow vehicle's front axle. This is usually the best fix for a porpoising travel trailer."
thepac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 06:24 PM   #23

Curt receiver installed today. looks better; at least not as weighed down at the back. will head out for a one nighter this weekend and try it out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200624_144235[1].jpg
Views:	54
Size:	611.3 KB
ID:	232310   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200624_144247[1].jpg
Views:	58
Size:	559.3 KB
ID:	232311   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200624_144302[1].jpg
Views:	64
Size:	258.6 KB
ID:	232312   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200624_144345[1].jpg
Views:	56
Size:	278.1 KB
ID:	232313   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200624_144407[1].jpg
Views:	46
Size:	317.8 KB
ID:	232314  

Old 06-24-2020, 07:04 PM   #24

Looks good. I just bought a Geo Pro 19fbs. When I pulled mine home from the dealer (200 miles away) I knew I was going to have to have a better hitch setup. My truck can handle it but piece of mind when a semi goes by goes a long way.

You have a nice looking rig. Any problems pulling the trailer? Power issues? I'm pretty sure mileage sucks, it does with my 1/2 tn pickup.
kgstakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 10:36 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgstakes View Post
Looks good. I just bought a Geo Pro 19fbs. When I pulled mine home from the dealer (200 miles away) I knew I was going to have to have a better hitch setup. My truck can handle it but piece of mind when a semi goes by goes a long way.

You have a nice looking rig. Any problems pulling the trailer? Power issues? I'm pretty sure mileage sucks, it does with my 1/2 tn pickup.
its a great looking set up, yes. power is slow; we're currently just retro-fitting the FJ to tow the trailer, as it certainly isnt a great tow vehicle match. might get some air bags and/or new bilstein shocks next.

the Camco R3 600 WDH is a good one for the money $600, but have heard about the Hensley Arrow Cub, but they are $2,000 or so.

yes, a truck is definiatly the way to go for pulling trailers.

i agree on the peace of mind. it does not come easy when towing this length/weight with this short/light tow vehicle. .
Old 06-25-2020, 12:45 PM   #26

Looks good. And level connected, too.
It looks in one camping picture you leveled the TT and left the FJ connected. Hope that was just an in progress picture.
Boomerweps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 07:01 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerweps View Post
Looks good. And level connected, too.
It looks in one camping picture you leveled the TT and left the FJ connected. Hope that was just an in progress picture.
Well, not sure what that photo was, but in last camp trip, it rained alot. When it quit raining the last evening, I hooked it up then, then left it hooked overnight. Didn't want to risk hooking up in the rain

Tags
geo pro