RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2020, 12:36 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 19
2020 Rockwood 2509S - Replacement Sink Faucet Question

Hello All,

Hope everyone had a safe and Happy Thanksgiving!

We recently purchased a 2020 Rockwood 2509S and I wanted to replace the stock sink faucet with newer items that has extended hose, etc.

A couple questions if anyone knows.

- Any concerns or gotchas with replacing the stock kitchen sink faucet?
- I would need to drill into the existing countertop for a single center hole, I'm guessing this is some sort of composite, any concerns drilling and splitting?

Thanks as always in advance for any tips or recommendations!

Cheers - Dan
__________________
2020 Rockwood Mini Lite 2509s
2019 RAM 1500 5.7 w/eTorque and 3.92 Rear
Husky Centerline TS WDH
dnfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 09:07 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
SeaDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Idaho
Posts: 8,096
counter tops can be made with many different materials so I'm going to assume you are talking about corian if so a standard hole saw will work well don't force it.
__________________
Retired Navy
Jake my sidekick (yellow Lab) 10/04 - 05/20
2017 RAM 2500 CC 4X4 Cummins Diesel
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 11:52 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 329
fancy faucets use more water. consider where you are staying. rv spot w/ hookups and sewer? boondocking ? water is going fast. gray tank fills quick. Fancy is nice but not always good.
Thomas ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 07:02 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
nomad297's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 5,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas ho View Post
fancy faucets use more water. consider where you are staying. rv spot w/ hookups and sewer? boondocking ? water is going fast. gray tank fills quick. Fancy is nice but not always good.
Fancy, or not, all kitchen faucets sold in the USA are restricted to 2.2GPM. This can be changed by removing or modifying the restrictors to gain more flow. Most well-known name-brand kitchen faucets can be ordered or modified with OEM restrictors or aerators to decrease the flow from 2.2GPM to various other lower flow rates.

Bruce
__________________
2016 Rockwood Windjammer 3029W Diamond
2015 Chevy 3500HD LTZ 6.0 Crew Cab 4x4 Long Bed 4.10:1 SRW
nomad297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 10:49 AM   #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
counter tops can be made with many different materials so I'm going to assume you are talking about corian if so a standard hole saw will work well don't force it.
Thanks SeaDog! Yeah, I think you are correct, Corian sounds about right. Appreciate the advice.
__________________
2020 Rockwood Mini Lite 2509s
2019 RAM 1500 5.7 w/eTorque and 3.92 Rear
Husky Centerline TS WDH
dnfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 10:51 AM   #6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
Fancy, or not, all kitchen faucets sold in the USA are restricted to 2.2GPM. This can be changed by removing or modifying the restrictors to gain more flow. Most well-known name-brand kitchen faucets can be ordered or modified with OEM restrictors or aerators to decrease the flow from 2.2GPM to various other lower flow rates.

Bruce
Thanks guys, definitely good things to think about! We do a fair amount of dispersed camping, so we would need to be very mindful about flow!
__________________
2020 Rockwood Mini Lite 2509s
2019 RAM 1500 5.7 w/eTorque and 3.92 Rear
Husky Centerline TS WDH
dnfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 10:59 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: South Central Virginia
Posts: 150
I’m guessing you already have a hole for the original faucet. If you need to increase the hole size you may want to consider a step drill; possibly drilling from top and bottom depending on counter thickness. There are other specialty drill press options but very spendy .
WanderMore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 01:09 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 525
I've installed new kitchen sink faucets in two 2020 2109's.

It's a very simple process and only required a hole saw bit on a drill for the center hole, which wasn't there from the factory.

__________________
2019S Mod Thread
https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ad-184896.html

2020 Rockwood Mini Lite 2109S
2017 GMC 2500HD Denali 6.6L Duramax
01tundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 01:19 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
nomad297's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 5,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderMore View Post
I’m guessing you already have a hole for the original faucet. If you need to increase the hole size you may want to consider a step drill; possibly drilling from top and bottom depending on counter thickness. There are other specialty drill press options but very spendy .
Whenever I need to drill a larger hole for a faucet (usually 1-3/8” for a kitchen faucet) in anything, including stone, I choose the correct sized hole saw with the correct type of cutting teeth and start into the original hole at a slight angle, then, when I am deep enough, I begin to bring the hole saw up and perpendicular to the surface, then complete cutting straight down. The only time this won’t work is when the center of the new hole must me at the exact same center as the old hole, but that’s not very often — there’s almost always room for play. If the hole must be in the same center in something other than stone, I will use a step drill until it cuts down to 1-3/8” diameter, then finish it off with a hole saw. If it must be in the center of a stone surface, I use a 3/4” thick piece of plywood with a 1-3/8” hole drilled in it as a guide to get me started. When I get about 1/4” down into the stone, I toss the plywood and finish drilling without it.

Bruce
__________________
2016 Rockwood Windjammer 3029W Diamond
2015 Chevy 3500HD LTZ 6.0 Crew Cab 4x4 Long Bed 4.10:1 SRW
nomad297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 11:18 PM   #10
Tundra 2014
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Texas
Posts: 958
Faucet

Make sure you have the right connections. May take PEX tool and rings or adaptors. Mine was installed w/ flex hose and PEX hose combined, making the use of adaptors necessary. Yours may be a wrench and remove, look 1st. I spent a $100 to get all the tools and connections complete.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 03:35 PM   #11
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
Whenever I need to drill a larger hole for a faucet (usually 1-3/8” for a kitchen faucet) in anything, including stone, I choose the correct sized hole saw with the correct type of cutting teeth and start into the original hole at a slight angle, then, when I am deep enough, I begin to bring the hole saw up and perpendicular to the surface, then complete cutting straight down. The only time this won’t work is when the center of the new hole must me at the exact same center as the old hole, but that’s not very often — there’s almost always room for play. If the hole must be in the same center in something other than stone, I will use a step drill until it cuts down to 1-3/8” diameter, then finish it off with a hole saw. If it must be in the center of a stone surface, I use a 3/4” thick piece of plywood with a 1-3/8” hole drilled in it as a guide to get me started. When I get about 1/4” down into the stone, I toss the plywood and finish drilling without it.

Bruce
Thanks Bruce, great tips! Appreciate the advice.
__________________
2020 Rockwood Mini Lite 2509s
2019 RAM 1500 5.7 w/eTorque and 3.92 Rear
Husky Centerline TS WDH
dnfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 03:37 PM   #12
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra 2014 View Post
Make sure you have the right connections. May take PEX tool and rings or adaptors. Mine was installed w/ flex hose and PEX hose combined, making the use of adaptors necessary. Yours may be a wrench and remove, look 1st. I spent a $100 to get all the tools and connections complete.
Great points! I believe that the new faucet is 9/16th's and the existing water connections were 3/4...so definitely will need to get the adapters. Thanks again!
__________________
2020 Rockwood Mini Lite 2509s
2019 RAM 1500 5.7 w/eTorque and 3.92 Rear
Husky Centerline TS WDH
dnfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 08:46 AM   #13
TRD
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Michigan
Posts: 63
Here is how I upgraded the kitchen faucet in my Flagstaff 25BDS.
I used a 3/8" thick 6" wide pine board as the 'template' for the new, larger hole. I drilled a hole in the board using the new, larger hole saw. This predrilled board holds the circular saw in place over the old hole as you start and cut the new hole. No scratching of the countertop. The board was cut long enough to go from a countertop edge with the predrilled hole over the existing smaller hole. I clamped the board to the countertop with the predrilled hole over the smaller hole using cheap clamps from Harbor Freight. You may need a wider board due to distance from your edge to hole, although there isn't much side to side force on the board as you begin to cut. If you want, try this out on a test board that simulates the countertop. It works.
http://www.harborfreight.com/6-in-ra...der-64154.html

The PEX water lines were connected using SharkBite connectors from Home Depot. Not cheap but so easy to connect in the small space under the countertop.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/SharkBite...5087/206105366
Hope this helps.
__________________
==============
2021 Flagstaff 26FKBS (manuf. 3/20/2020)
2019 Ford F150 XLT-3.5EB, Ext Cab, 3.55, Max Tow, 1,910# Payload, Blue Ox 1500
2018-12 days/2019-83 days/2020-12
TRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
2509s, faucet, replacement, rockwood, sink

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:17 PM.