Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2020, 08:24 AM   #1

2021 2205 converter / inverter question

Hello all,
We are on our third trip in our 2205, it has a 12 volt fridge with solar panel.
Normally I do not turn on the inverter unless we are towing to keep batteries topped off. Should I keep the inverter on when plugged in at camp?
My question is also about the converter under the fuse panel. The cooling fan seems to ramp up and down and pulse at times. I had tank heaters on last night. And 1 overhead light. Is this normal?
Thanks for your help
Clayshooter71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 08:47 AM   #2

inverter takes 12 volt dc power and changes it to 120 volt ac power.
converter takes 120 volt ac power and changes it to 12 volt dc power.

an inverter will not top off the batteries.
if you have a 112 volt dc refrigerator you do not need the inverter on.
the cooling fan in the converter will alter its speed (from off to full speed) depending upon how much cooling the converter needs. it will change speed as the converter works harder (more heat) or less hard (less heat).
Old 10-17-2020, 09:02 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply, I understand that the inverter converts 12 to 120 and converter 120 to 12...
On our second trip I did not have the inverter on. When we got home after 1hr and a half noticed the batteries were down a bit...we must have something in our setup that keeps the batteries charged using the inverter..
Thanks
Old 10-17-2020, 09:17 AM   #4

while traveling there would only be two possible sources to keep the batteries charged. (i am ignoring a generator as you did not mention one). these would be the solar and the engine alternator. if the batteries dropped a bit they were supplying more power than these sources were providing.
Old 10-17-2020, 07:47 PM   #5

Question

Just curious..... if you have a 12 V fridge; what is the inverter for.? I thought they were ‘mainly’ to power residential fridges? Is this pretty normal in new RV’s to install an inverter? I know, of course, that you can have anything installed as long as you are prepared to pay for it! I do not believe my Columbus even offered an inverter as an option, at the time.
2007 Corsair. 246 RKS. 5th
dnicoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 08:29 PM   #6
Site Team

I'm confused too. No where on the Rockwood 2205S webpage, does it mention an inverter, residential fridge nor 12v only fridge. Only shows 2- way propane/electric fridges. Unless there has been recent changes.
I'm not aware of a 12v only fridge needing an inverter.
Maybe the OP means the solar controller, not inverter.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 08:07 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayshooter71 View Post
Hello all,
We are on our third trip in our 2205, it has a 12 volt fridge with solar panel.
Normally I do not turn on the inverter unless we are towing to keep batteries topped off. Should I keep the inverter on when plugged in at camp?
My question is also about the converter under the fuse panel. The cooling fan seems to ramp up and down and pulse at times. I had tank heaters on last night. And 1 overhead light. Is this normal?
Thanks for your help

The converter fan will cycle based on load, so that part sounds fine.

You've lost me on what you're doing with an inverter while driving down the road though.

If you're running a true 12VDC refrigerator then hopefully you have enough panel to keep up with the refrigerator load. If your solar is turned off, I wouldn't expect the tow vehicle to be able to provide enough charge to keep the batteries at 100% while running a refrigerator. Tow vehicles are not very good for charging batteries in their stock form. You can install a DC-DC charger to assist for when the solar isn't performing at full capacity.

2020 Rockwood Mini Lite 2109S
2022 Ford F-350 Lariat, 4x4, CC, SRW, 7.3L
01tundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 08:15 AM   #8

The trailers that are outfitted with the 12V fridge also come with a 190W solar panel system and a 1000W inverter. The inverter is only related to the fridge in that it comes as part of the package. The inverter is not needed to run the fridge.

It will however, allow you to use some of your 110V devices (not AC or microwave) while not hooked up to shore power.

I suspect your usage of the inverter and showing that your batteries were charged was just coincidental.
CivEngPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 08:45 AM   #9

Here is a link to the inverter manual.

https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/c...58_MAN_ISW.pdf
CivEngPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 10:18 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivEngPE View Post
The trailers that are outfitted with the 12V fridge also come with a 190W solar panel system and a 1000W inverter. The inverter is only related to the fridge in that it comes as part of the package. The inverter is not needed to run the fridge.

It will however, allow you to use some of your 110V devices (not AC or microwave) while not hooked up to shore power.

I suspect your usage of the inverter and showing that your batteries were charged was just coincidental.
And if the inverter is powered on while traveling, it's also going to draw some on the batteries even with no load, although very low likely under 1A, but still a draw.

2020 Rockwood Mini Lite 2109S
2022 Ford F-350 Lariat, 4x4, CC, SRW, 7.3L
01tundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 03:32 AM   #11

Thanks for the info.
I thought it was odd as well that I had to have it on while traveling. I was told by the mechanic during walk thru to have it on while towing. I am going on another trip here soon and will leave it off and see what happens. You are correct I have several outlet labeled inverter powered. Also, the fridge as you stated is directly connected somehow to a 12 volt source, If the inverter is off the fridge still runs. sure would be nice if Forest River included an owners manual.
Thanks
Old 10-20-2020, 05:50 AM   #12

perhaps the tech said to leave the inverter on because he saw an electrically powered refrigerator (no propane option) and just assumed it was a 120 volt residential refrigerator which would require the inverter be on. but you know it does not have to be on to run the 12 volt refrigerator.

Tags
converter, inverter