Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2020, 08:00 AM   #1

2021 FR Rockwood 2912BS

Well I am in the process of completing the deal on a new 2021 FR Rockwood Ultra light 2912BS. Love the floor plan and since this will be my new home There are a few things that make this really nice.
Just scared if I am making the right move. I had a HR Scepter 36PDQ that the ex took so had to find something new.
Am I making the right choice? Guess it may be a sealed deal as I have already paid for it
I will be towing with my 2015 Ford F150 FX4 SuperCrew
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	My Truck1.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	426.8 KB
ID:	237655   Click image for larger version

Name:	Trailer.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	237656  
sfbrabbitry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 09:41 AM   #2

I don't believe anyone can tell you what is right for you. I'm a fan of a heavier truck for pulling rigs but thats just me.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 09:46 AM   #3

Same here but I just paid off this truck and can not afford another one. SSD does not pay much
Old 08-26-2020, 09:51 AM   #4

If you are within your trucks numbers you will be fine. You may not be as relaxed as you would be with a bigger truck. Just stay in the numbers and drive conservatively.

2022 Grand Design Imagine 2800BH
2020 Rockwood Roo 19 (Sold Jul 2022)
2012 F150 SuperCrew Ecoboost
hobienick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 09:55 AM   #5

Thanks. Yes I am within my numbers and made sure of that. Do not want to destroy my truck that is for sure. Yep if people do not like my driving they can always go around me. Like I did with my diesel pusher 38' and towing my truck. No flying down the road that is for sure
Old 08-26-2020, 10:17 AM   #6

Congrats on the new trailer! It looks nice.

There are a million different configurations with the information on the truck you provided. They range from inadequate to fine.

That is a pretty heavy trailer and knowing the average payload you will be close or overweight depending on your payload. Without a payload over 1800lbs on the truck I would start planning an upgrade. You will need that to load the trailer and have just you in the truck (no gear or upgrades).

My trailer's gross weight is 7200lbs and very tongue heavy but it was not very stable on a half ton with a payload of 1600lbs. Your dry weights are 500lbs over my fully loaded numbers for refrence. I made it work for a bit but it was lots of work moving things around every trip and leaving lots behind. Every combo is different so maybe you can find a way to make it work.

Engine, gearing, and payload/GVWR stickers help to know if you should.

Happy camping!
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 10:19 AM   #7
Site Team

You haven't provided anything about your truck's specs, like payload capacity, engine, rear end ratio, which factory tow package and so on.
The F150 come in all kinds of differently spec'd and equipped versions, with different capabilities.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 01:50 PM   #8

Since it sounds like you may be pulling it a lot... If you can afford one or find one used, for your truck trailer combo, I would seriously look at a Propride or Hensley hitch for the added bit of stability they provide. I have a PP on mine and with 30k miles on it, I haven't experienced any of the issues folks talk about with other hitches. I would also think about upgrading the trailer brakes to discs.

BTW, looks like a nice floor plan, especially if you will be spending a lot of time in it. Comfortable TV viewing and a nice outside kitchen. This is one of the few pull behinds I've seen with prep for washer dryer.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 07:26 PM   #9

Thank you guys for the replies. I did send all the info for my truck to the trailer dealer and they got the info. If I was over I would have to get a different trailer. Not going to be towing much, but mostly live in. They are including the stabilizer hitch? I keep calling it the wrong thing LOL
Going to have just enough water to use the toilet for 2 days. Everything else I need will be in my cargo trailer someone else is pulling. Moving from La Pine OR back home to San Diego.
Love the floor plan. W/D set up is standard for this trailer. Solar prep too. Loe the bench seating in the bedroom. I am hoping it is what I really want as it will be me and my dogs living in it.
I wil be doing more checking on my truck info before I finish the deal. Now I am worried even though I was told I would be fine as my limit is 10k lbs for towing. Ugh
I appreciate all the comments and insight - Thank you
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	My gang 4:2020.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	453.8 KB
ID:	237692  
Old 08-26-2020, 07:55 PM   #10

Look at the payload number on the sticker in the drivers door jamb. This will likely be your limiting factor. The tongue weight is subtracted from this number as well as the weight of your passengers and cargo. A good guess is that it will be around 1700 - 1800lbs.

Your truck should have a max tongue weight of 1220 lbs. You may be under that but no one here can know for sure as it will depend upon how you load it. Most use a 10 - 15% of the trailer GVWR which for your trailer is around 9800 lbs. 980 - 1470 lbs would be the range using this approach. Note that about half of this range is over your max tongue weight. Also note that if you are at your max tongue weight you can only have an additional 580 lbs in the truck. This is why you typically hear that the payload of the truck is what is exceeded first.

Looks like you have the V8 so depending on your axle ratio your max trailer weight is either 9100 lbs (3.55 axle ratio) or 10900 lbs (3.73 axle ratio). The respective GCWRs are 14400 lbs and 16200 lbs. If you have the 3.55 axle ratio it is possible to exceed the max trailer weight if you load your trailer to it’s maximum. If you have the 3.73 axle ratio you will be under.
Old 08-27-2020, 09:20 AM   #11

Looks like a great rig. I have a bit of a different concern. When the slide is pulled in, you can't get to the restroom? If that's not a problem, then the rig looks like a good one for you and your 2 dogs.
Old 08-27-2020, 09:34 AM   #12

Trailers weigh is 7700lbs. Thanks for the tip. I will look inside the door for that information
LOL I have 6 dogs - 5 Goldens and 1 Newf <3
Yeah that is probably the case with the slide in to get to the bathroom, but I would pull into a truck stop or big lot and partially open the slide to get there. I use to do that anyways in my Diesel pusher because of the dogs in my way
I really appreciate all of your comments. Much to check out and look into
Thank you and hope you all are having a great time and staying safe
Old 08-27-2020, 01:55 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfbrabbitry View Post
Trailers weigh is 7700lbs. Thanks for the tip. I will look inside the door for that information
You're using fictional brochure/website dry weight numbers. The fictional dry weight number is 7854lbs. That's based on a stripped down version of the trailer. And a fictional dry tongue weight of 952lbs will easily way over 1100lbs leaded for camping.
As an owner of a F150 Ecoboost with the Max Tow package, i personally would never tow a trailer that long and heavy, with a 1/2 ton.
I'm betting that long and heavy. Using 12% of the trailer's GVWR, the loaded tongue weight will be nearly 1200lbs.
So your truck's payload capacity is going to be the critical part.
IMHO, i would suggest a 3/4 ton for that trailer.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 03:40 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfbrabbitry View Post
Well I am in the process of completing the deal on a new 2021 FR Rockwood Ultra light 2912BS. Love the floor plan and since this will be my new home There are a few things that make this really nice.
Just scared if I am making the right move. I had a HR Scepter 36PDQ that the ex took so had to find something new.
Am I making the right choice? Guess it may be a sealed deal as I have already paid for it
I will be towing with my 2015 Ford F150 FX4 SuperCrew
I like the lay out
BillyBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 06:45 AM   #15

Well dealer checked everything out and I have the ability to tow 10k. Got it headed home just before the roadway was closed due to the fires up here, smoke is horrible.
Yes it is not an open passage to the restroom, but I have the dinette down for the dogs to lay on so I can step over it or as I have done even in the diesel I push out the slide a bit and it is all good
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	9-11 truck n trailer.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	449.9 KB
ID:	239403  
Old 10-09-2020, 05:08 AM   #16

I am looking at same trailer and have same truck. How is the tow? Capacity on mine is 2008 lbs with 9k tow. 2015 F-150 super crew 6.5 bed 5.0 with 2wd with 3.23 rear end. Any issues pulling, sway, stopping??
Thanks
Browning1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 06:39 AM   #17

Don't forget the tongue weight

Don't forget to include the tongue weight limits on a truck as well. My 2902 was 770lbs from the factory but loaded for trip can be as high as 1050lbs. (I measure it before every trip). My max TW is ~1300lbs. That extra TW comes from full propane bottles, the battery, cargo stored on the front, any offset from stuff stored in the back, ertc.

That weight plus the hitch come off of your payload. So if you are at 2000 lbs payload and a 2912which is 952 lbs before you pack it may easily hit your max TW or you will exceed your payload. Make sure to keep these in mind. Not just max TT weight and GCWR.

Food for thought. Safe travels.
TheMcBees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 06:43 AM   #18

Browning1
Towed it home from WA to OR (7hr drive) and it did great. Did a last minute camping trip and still great. Sure I know it is back there and up grades it was like when I had my gas A class. Slow and steady (40-50 up grades) and of course mileage went from 20mpg to 11-14mpg. Pulls smooth no sway, but of course I keep it around 60. Not one that wants to go flying like some do. I want to make it to where I am going. Stopping just start a little sooner and not hitting the brakes hard plus I have the brake assist in the truck set at 5 so that helps, but I have had no issues.

Big trip coming up. Leave on the 24th to head back to San Diego for a few months so that trip will be a long one and will see how we do going up the Grapevine, ugh

I love the trailer and the lay out. My dogs have claimed the sitting bench and another has claimed the closet LOL.

Congrats and Enjoy the trailer
Old 11-15-2020, 10:32 AM   #19

Towing

Hi there

I found this post helpful. We are purchasing a new Rockwood. I love this model but my husband is concerned about towing (2017 Ford F150 ECO with max tow package) we will at most tow a couple of times a year as we just got a seasonal spot. We have a deposit on the 2614BS but have reservations on storage space. Anymore insight on towing that might put my husband at ease?
SaskCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 10:49 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskCamper View Post
Hi there

I found this post helpful. We are purchasing a new Rockwood. I love this model but my husband is concerned about towing (2017 Ford F150 ECO with max tow package) we will at most tow a couple of times a year as we just got a seasonal spot. We have a deposit on the 2614BS but have reservations on storage space. Anymore insight on towing that might put my husband at ease?
I just towed from La Pine OR to Lake Elsinore CA with no issues. Well there were some but not from towing. My slide toppers were not installed right so had me stuck on the side of the freeway, the side panel of the fridge came undone and the top for the countertop that folds came undone (fixed that myself). I thought for sure I would have an issue going up the Grapevine on the I5, but I actually passed the truckers and it stayed at a steady pace of 50mph all the way, never going over 3 on the rmp and I know I was pretty closed to my max 10k towing weight. I do love the layout of this trailer. SO different that the rest of them and the room for clothing/storage is crazy. Good luck and I hope you enjoy. Post ics when you get your new baby

Tags
rockwood