Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-02-2022, 05:15 PM   #1

2021 Geo Pro G19FBS - Solar on the Side

I have a question about the Solar on the Side plug on the G19FBS.

Does it lead to the inside Go Power solar controller or directly to the battery?

If the fist, would the 2 panels (rood and extra on the side) be connected in parallel?

Thank you!
Marcelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 06:42 PM   #2

It goes directly to battery. It needs its own controller. I have a 2021 Geo Pro 19fd.
Adogbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 01:12 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adogbmw View Post
It goes directly to battery. It needs its own controller. I have a 2021 Geo Pro 19fd.
Thank you Adogbmw
I will also install the controller then.
Old 01-03-2022, 03:07 AM   #4

Adogbmw is correct the wiring from the SAE side plug goes straight to the battery. It also commonly has the polarity reversed. Please verify with a voltmeter. You can either rewire or purchase an adapter that reverses the polarity. Such as, https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09HQN3K7K...v_ov_lig_pi_dp
Old 01-03-2022, 09:54 AM   #5

That issue with polarity is important.
I think FR could have done much better with this feature. The Go Power solar controller accepts 2 panels in parallel (same voltage extra current) as in the image below taken from the manual, I believe they should have connected the plug directly to the controller instead of the battery, so we could charge the battery bank with the 2 panels at the same time. This would limit the system but we wouldn't have 2 controllers connected to the battery at the same time, which makes one to cut the charging current due to the higher voltage on the battery during charge, and we would save some money with the extra controller.
I'll probably will connect my extra controller directly to the battery bank avoiding using their connector, just because it's easier. And will try to shut down the original controller when using the extra one. I don't think both can run simultaneously.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-01-02 at 16.55.48.jpg
Views:	1318
Size:	155.3 KB
ID:	267335  
Old 01-03-2022, 10:39 AM   #6
Trailer Park Supervisor

The reverse wiring on the side inlet was no big deal. I use suitcases, so just reversed wires on the output of the charge controller (mine is connected to back side of panel).

Marcelo, you are incorrect about running both charge controllers. They will both work independently and not conflict with each other. One may shut off before the other one when reaching 100% charge, but that's it.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 10:49 AM   #7

NJKris, thanks for the correction. But this is strange to me because both chargers would have output voltages higher than the battery so they can charge it. But, since they would be in parallel (both connected to the batt) they would detect the output voltage from each other, leading to a cut of one of them since this would be "sensed" as a overcharged battery (I saw another thread here from a guy with this exact problem).
Anyway, I'll make some tests to understand things better. If the 2 chargers can work together, as you mentioned, this is awesome.
Old 01-03-2022, 10:54 AM   #8
Trailer Park Supervisor

I'll have my expert TitanMike check in, I think he is the one who schooled me.

For now, my stock GoPower controller works fine with my suitcase controller, they are both PWM.
Old 01-03-2022, 11:09 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcelo View Post
NJKris, thanks for the correction. But this is strange to me because both chargers would have output voltages higher than the battery so they can charge it. But, since they would be in parallel (both connected to the batt) they would detect the output voltage from each other, leading to a cut of one of them since this would be "sensed" as a overcharged battery (I saw another thread here from a guy with this exact problem).
Anyway, I'll make some tests to understand things better. If the 2 chargers can work together, as you mentioned, this is awesome.
Two chargers work together all the time in the RV world, especially with roof mounted solar. When in a motorhome both solar and engine alternator are charging. Same in trailer with a charging circuit from tow vehicle. Then there is the converter that's charging at same time as solar when connected to shore power and parked in the sun.

Multiple charging sources will each contribute to the charging current the battery can accept. Each charging source will drop off as the voltage rises above it's regulated output. THERE IS NO CONFLICT OR "FIGHTING EACH OTHER".

No more so than if you connect 3 hoses to a tank usjng 3 different regulators. The tank will still fill with flow stopping in each hose as tank pressure reaches it's regulator setting.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 11:23 AM   #10
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
No more so than if you connect 3 hoses to a tank usjng 3 different regulators. The tank will still fill with flow stopping in each hose as tank pressure reaches it's regulator setting.
Great analogy.

Tags
19fbs, 2021, geo pro, solar