Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2022, 06:20 PM   #1

2021 Rockwood 8336BH with no 12v on shore power

Hello all, first of all want to thank you for all of the help from afar thus far. Classic long time listener, first time caller. Please excuse any technical mix ups below, but I will try to lay out the problem to the best of my ability.

I have a 2021 Rockwood Signature 8336BH, which has 4 slides, 3 of them are through frame, and the fourth (kitchen) slide is a Schwintek. We have our trailer in our property plugged into 50amp service. It also has the go-power solar kit on it as well but as it’s plugged in I am not sure if that’s relevant.

The issue I am having is all of the 12v systems are dead, even when plugged into shore power. The trailer does fire up when plugged into my truck but the Schwintek slide does not operate, which is blocking where the power center is. My outdoor fridge and all other ac power circuits work just fine as we would expect.

So in looking through the forums I have come to understand my diagnostic steps are to check resettable fuse blocks around the battery, check the fuses in the power center, check the incoming voltage to the converter. I guess I have 5 open questions:

1. Has anybody come across this before and/or am I barking up the right tree?
2. From reading the manual it sounds like the Schwintek slide has a minimum voltage requirement of 10.5v, is my best course of action to put my batteries on a 12v charger to get the system to that threshold and then it should work?
3. Is there an inline fuse for the Schwintek I should be checking?
4. Does anyone know where the controller is? Have read possibilities include behind microwave, inside couch or in closest storage bin on ceiling, but none specific to my model.
5. How, if at all, does the solar system play into this? If it’s on shore power 100% of the time do I need to set the go-power settings in a particular way?

Thank you in advance.
Devin
TejasRockwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 09:40 PM   #2

I think you need to post in the Rockwood subforum where someone with your rig is more likely to see it.
Your first step may be to check those house batteries. If they are dead or won't hold a charge, it might contribute to the problem. It also could be your converter is not charging the batteries.
Hopefully someone with knowledge of your rig will chime in.

Welcome to the forum.
Old 05-09-2022, 10:13 PM   #3

If you got 12V when the truck was plugged but nothing on shore power I would use a multimeter to test the battery voltage when plugged into shore power that will tell you if the converter is supplying 12V power. JMHO
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 05:31 PM   #4

Thank you both for that. I will cross post in rockwood and see if I can get some info on the Schwintek and layout, but good tips on getting some insight from checking the batteries directly. Appreciate it.
Old 05-10-2022, 08:54 PM   #5

If the coach has the factory GoPower solar ours went straight to the batteries, and normally kept them charged. Contrary to the sound of your post, this sounds like something that comes up quite often. Start with a good voltmeter and measure the battery voltage. Solar should keep the batteries in tip-top shape when it's not in use. If batteries are not 12.6+/- put on a good external charger, unless they seem dead in which case take him to an auto parts store and get them tested on their computer. Then check the converter output that should be 12.8 or better. If you have power at converter and battery see if there's a voltage difference at the battery with converter off and then converter on. It should be a good time to put the voltmeter on the leads coming from solar to the batteries. Most times those are separate wires and straight from the solar controller to the batteries on both the negative and the positive side. I have seen them 12 gauge, 10 gauge, and even 8 gauge on various different coaches and the ones I've seen have been either traditional red and black positive negative colors or tags on the wires marking them positive and negative. At this point it's just check and recheck with a voltmeter looking for power or lack of continuity and no power. Of course you may have a bad converter/charger but if it is not producing output voltage, find and double check the separate matched pair of "reverse polarity fuses" They are usually two 40 amp fuses together, away from the others in the fuse row. I have seen them be 30 amp, but always a pair. If the batteries charged and the converter is producing voltage somewhere there is an open fuse, an open circuit breaker, or a broken or disconnected wire. I'd be delighted to read about the ultimate result when you solve this problem.

Don't forget to keep us in the loop. Thank you
NO MORE Tricked out
2017 Sandstorm 250 T.H.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 09:04 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TejasRockwood View Post
... We have our trailer in our property plugged into 50amp service. ...
Have you used that 50A successfully in the past, with the same trailer, or another one?

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 09:08 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Thank you both for that. I will cross post in rockwood and see if I can get some info on the Schwintek and layout, but good tips on getting some insight from checking the batteries directly. Appreciate it.

Please do not cross post or open a new thread on the same subject matter as duplicate threads are deleted: As per the guidelines:

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ork&page=rules

"Do not post the same discussion topic more than once or in several areas of the forum."

If you want this thread moved to the Rockwood subforum, the site team will be more than happy to do that for you. Just let us know

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 10:34 PM   #8
Site Team

Moved to the Rockwood sub-forum, per OP's request.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Forest River Forums mobile app
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 10:51 PM   #9

Try looking in your front compartment.
That is where my slide breaker is.
I had all my slides go out and it was this below.

There is a small black reset on the side of the fuse.

Mine reset when I removed the wire. I had a hard time finding the small black button. Click image for larger version

Name:	20220214_160917.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	273043Click image for larger version

Name:	20220214_155848.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	273044
Jim S JR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 03:56 PM   #10

Thank you guys for the advice. I finally had an opportunity to get up to my trailer and run through everything.

As expected battery voltage at the batteries when I arrived was near zero. I put the batteries on an external battery charger and the trailer kicked on. I let the batteries charge overnight and eventually the indoor fridge worked, along with everything else in the trailer EXCEPT the Schwintek slide.

I found 4 “fuse blocks” for the slides up near the batteries, and while I could not find the resettable button on any of them (mine were grey) I checked both the input and ouput voltage and both were showing right over 13.5v with the batteries still on the charger. I uploaded a picture of the only other thing down below, which is the electronic thing hooked up to the inputs on one of the fuse blocks with the light red. The light can be pushed, I.e. is a button, but no set of presses or holds seem to have any effect on the red light itself. Does anyone know what this is?

Additionally, I opened literally every access panel I could find inside the trailer including removing the microwave and I cannot find the Schwintek slide controller anywhere. When I was leaving I noticed a single access panel on the front exterior of the trailer, on the left front by the batteries, which was caulked in, but I did not have the ability to check.

In short, it is clear the batteries are not being charged by the converter, but it is not clear why. The second Air Conditioner was also not working and I am assuming this is a tripped breaker but the only way to tell about AC and the state of the converter is to get my Schwintek slide to move. Any thoughts on the location of the controller are much appreciated, although it seems it must be in that external access, which I believe is where the inverter is as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8C7E0F62-8082-4858-BE84-3F5F8BA9C972.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	478.8 KB
ID:	273232  
Old 05-14-2022, 04:14 PM   #11
Site Team

What you have in the pic seems to be your tpms repeater to boost the signal from your tpms sensors in your tires to the monitor.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
Old 05-14-2022, 04:21 PM   #12

Appreciate that. Makes sense, as it felt unrelated to my problem and just a convenient way to get power up there.
Old 05-14-2022, 04:26 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Appreciate that. Makes sense, as it felt unrelated to my problem and just a convenient way to get power up there.

You are welcome. Here is a recent thread with links about the tpms repeater, just as an FYI so you will know for any future things.

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ml#post2733417
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot 2022-05-14 at 16-27-44 Signal Booster _ Repeater for TST TPMS TST Accessories and Par.png
Views:	32
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	273233  

Old 05-14-2022, 04:39 PM   #14
Site Team

Model number included in title, so those with the same model number can be more helpful.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Forest River Forums mobile app
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 04:39 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
I found 4 “fuse blocks” for the slides up near the batteries, and while I could not find the resettable button on any of them (mine were grey) I checked both the input and ouput voltage and both were showing right over 13.5v with the batteries still on the charger..

In short, it is clear the batteries are not being charged by the converter, but it is not clear why. The second Air Conditioner was also not working and I am assuming this is a tripped breaker but the only way to tell about AC and the state of the converter is to get my Schwintek slide to move. Any thoughts on the location of the controller are much appreciated, although it seems it must be in that external access, which I believe is where the inverter is as well.

Just some more FYI as you troubleshoot things. If you are getting good 12 volt DC voltage on both sides of the 12 volt DC circuit breakers (aka resettable fuses) then they are most likely not tripped. These type of 12 volt DC circuit breaker/resettable fuses come in two types (auto resetting, and manual resetting). You could possibly have auto resetting, but the manual resetting ones have a small black button to push on one end of the housing.

This thread link below explains and shows the small button to push.

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ml#post1743883

If the converter is not charging the battery, it's possible the reverse polarity fuses are blown on the converter or in the electrical distribution panel...which unfortunately you say is blocked by a slide currently.

This thread will show what/where the reverse polarity fuses could be. Post # 5 there specifically.

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ml#post1743883

Does your slide have any kind of manual override that you know of, that lets you hand crank it inwards/outwards in case of power failure. I'm not really familiar with these in-wall types, so you may not have.

Old 05-14-2022, 05:25 PM   #16

Thank you, I didn’t realize there were automatically resetting fuse blocks like that, which makes me feel better there was no buttons. I ran my fingers along all sides of all four of them to make sure.

With regard to the manual override, my understanding from the product manual they listed online for my model, you have to take the motors physically out of the tracks to manually extend. I was hoping to avoid this step, by finding the controller which has an electronic override method, but my options are dwindling.
Old 05-14-2022, 05:59 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Thank you, I didn’t realize there were automatically resetting fuse blocks like that, which makes me feel better there was no buttons. I ran my fingers along all sides of all four of them to make sure.

With regard to the manual override, my understanding from the product manual they listed online for my model, you have to take the motors physically out of the tracks to manually extend. I was hoping to avoid this step, by finding the controller which has an electronic override method, but my options are dwindling.
You may can just contact someone at the Flagstaff/Rockwood division and ask them where the controller is.

Rockwood CustomerService
574-642-8943
rockwoodowners@forestriverinc.com

In case you did not know, Flagstaff and Rockwood are sister RV's made in the same plant on the same production line, with just cosmetic differences. They have the same floor plans in many/most models. You may can get with a Flagstaff owner or dealer who has the same floor plan as yours, which in Flagstaff is a 832BWS. I have watched a few dealer youtube videos on your model to see if I could spot the controller as they opened up doors and hatches. I did see your electrical panel is under the cabinets right beside the fridge that gets covered up when that kitchen slide is in.

Flagstaff Customer Service
574-642-8943
flagstaffowners@forestriverinc.com

That is one nice rig you have though. I hope you get it working and can go camping.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot 2022-05-14 at 17-51-19 Rockwood Signature Travel Trailers 8336BH Forest River RV - Ma.png
Views:	43
Size:	225.0 KB
ID:	273241   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2022-05-14 at 17-50-34 Flagstaff Classic Travel Trailers 832BWS Forest River RV - Man.png
Views:	22
Size:	221.0 KB
ID:	273242  

Tags
12v, 2021, power, rockwood, shore power