Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2020, 03:27 PM   #1

2021 Rockwood Ultralite RearBumper Receiver

I have a two bicycle hitch mount rack. The instuctions for assembling the rack declare that the rack is not warranteed for use on an rv bumper mounted receiver. Has anyone had any experience using the rear receiver for a bike rack? Or, does anyone know the capacity for the device? What is it for if you cannot safely carry bicycles back there?
Lazymutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 07:52 PM   #2
Explore

Lazymutt, Welcome to the FR Forums.

Lots of information on this subject. Do a search on Bumper Bike Rack.

To see what I did, go to Mini Lite 2511S Owners Thread in this forum and find my Posts #441 and #242. If you have the frame mounted 2 inch receiver hitch under your bumper it should work just fine to support a bike rack.
Camp4two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 03:57 PM   #3

Bike Rack on Receiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazymutt View Post
I have a two bicycle hitch mount rack. The instuctions for assembling the rack declare that the rack is not warranteed for use on an rv bumper mounted receiver. Has anyone had any experience using the rear receiver for a bike rack? Or, does anyone know the capacity for the device? What is it for if you cannot safely carry bicycles back there?
Our 2020 2205S came with the rear receiver. Rated at 300lb load limit, so bike rack and bikes are good.

HOWEVER, the doggone spare tire mounted on the square bumper is in the way.

HEY FOREST RIVER!!

Our solution, which works pretty darn good if I say so myself, was to move spare tire to underneath the trlr using a BAL retractable spare tire mount I mounted to the frame channels in front of trailer axles, and yes below the sealed underbelly... anyways, leaves the back of trailer wide open for the bike racks.

I used the Swagman hitch mounted 2 bike mount WITH a hitch extender otherwise the bike nearest the trailer had the handlebar hitting back of trailer.

ALSO! Even though bikes are securely mounted, I still run a ratchet strap around the bikes in the bike rack and around the square rear bumper just to take the "play" out of the bikes hanging out there...

Works very well, bikes do not move.

Hope that helps!
6CatDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 05:57 PM   #4

Thanx for the tips. Ours isa Swagman also. I’ll be checking Ll of that before our next trip.
Lazymutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 08:58 PM   #5

I don't have a picture but I used a bumper receiver and bolted the spare tire between the bike hitch and the trailer using a u bolt for mounting a tire to a boat trailer. Bolted around the bike hitch and resting on the bumper.

I know ill catch hell for doing that but its been rock solid on 2 different trailers.

On a side note, dont do a weld on receiver. Metal is too thin and the weight is carried on the side of the bumper that its welded to. It will tear the metal. A bolt on spreads the load to all sides. Much better.
Ole_blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 12:51 AM   #6

Receiver hitch

There are some strut bracket reinforcements that bold on to the corners. This does add some strength to the thin metal 4" bumpers. This works on my ultra light w/ about 100 lb. on rack W/ 2 bikes. I can not remember the brand name but they were $60. Sure-Step? The problem is the leverage the rack has w/ 3' behind the bumper.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 01:30 AM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra 2014 View Post
There are some strut bracket reinforcements that bold on to the corners. This does add some strength to the thin metal 4" bumpers. This works on my ultra light w/ about 100 lb. on rack W/ 2 bikes. I can not remember the brand name but they were $60. Sure-Step? The problem is the leverage the rack has w/ 3' behind the bumper.
Mount n Lock SafetyStruts.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 03:22 PM   #8

I just went through this learning experince... I put a standard receiver-mounted bike rack on the back of my 2509S and hung 3 bikes on it. the 2509S comes with a 2" receiver welded to the frame. As we drove through town, going over the overpasses and rough city streets, we were driving down the highway only to be yelled at by a passer-by stating that our bikes are falling off the rack. After we got pulled over, we found the arms of the bike rack had bent and the bikes were 6" from the ground. Thankfully I tied the bikes to the rack substantial enough that the bikes didn't fall off. I nearly lost 3 bikes and could have created a bad accident, or worse.

That being said... from research ive done. Not all bike racks are treated equally. First, the term "RV bumper mounted receiver" is a bit unclear. Lets assume you have a 2" receiver hitch that is mounted to the TT frame. The reason the bike rack is not recommended or warrantied for use on the back of a travel trailer mounted receiver is not due to the receiver itself, it is the bike rack. This is due to the extreme upward and downward travel that the rear of the TT experiences. This up and down motion creates a lot of force on the bike rack when loaded. This excessive up and down force does not happen when the rack is mounted on a vehicle. The travel trailer rated racks are built stronger to withstand the added stress and weight.

To make a long story short... Make sure the rack is travel trailer rated.
Elite130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 11:40 PM   #9

Welcome. Some bumper mount receiver bike racks will state RV approved , but cover themselves by advising you check with the trailer mfg on added wt. to the bumper. I went with the mount n lock safety struts to stiffen the bumper some and moved the spare up front to remove that wt. The other pic is a Swagman so called rv approved 2 bike carrier. Click image for larger version

Name:	20200627_144016.jpeg
Views:	144
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	234485Click image for larger version

Name:	20200627_143908.jpeg
Views:	140
Size:	107.9 KB
ID:	234486
Freetyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 02:18 PM   #10

Agree with above comments.

Issue is the rear of the trailer bounces much more than the back of a car/truck does...so it is important that the rack manufacturer states is is strong enough for RV use.

I have a Swagman RV e-Bike rack that has traveled over 3,000 miles without issue.

Good luck!

—————————————————
2020.5 Rockwood Mini Lite 2509s
2020 Ram 1500 Rebel
drburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 07:50 PM   #11

I posted this last week. Custom made receiver with bike rack. The ratchet strap keeps the bikes and rack from bouncing. This is the 3rd trailer we’ve used this on over 15 years of towing and many thousands of miles.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0E12D56C-D00F-423D-9835-BF340FAF9AF6.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	294.7 KB
ID:	234534  
Roaminaround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 09:11 AM   #12
RAR

I have been looking for a rack my self for a 2019 2906RS. Ours did not come with a receiver on the bumper so I will need to get a bolt on style. I found the guys at Etrailer we’re very helpful as far as what racks our “RV” approved. We had a expensive Thule rack that wasn’t approved so sold it and now trying to figure out which one to buy. On Etrailers
site there already is a lot of post from there people and customer. But before you by check Amazon for prices.
RAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 11:02 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6CatDaddy View Post
Our 2020 2205S came with the rear receiver. Rated at 300lb load limit, so bike rack and bikes are good.

HOWEVER, the doggone spare tire mounted on the square bumper is in the way.

HEY FOREST RIVER!!

Our solution, which works pretty darn good if I say so myself, was to move spare tire to underneath the trlr using a BAL retractable spare tire mount I mounted to the frame channels in front of trailer axles, and yes below the sealed underbelly... anyways, leaves the back of trailer wide open for the bike racks.

I used the Swagman hitch mounted 2 bike mount WITH a hitch extender otherwise the bike nearest the trailer had the handlebar hitting back of trailer.

ALSO! Even though bikes are securely mounted, I still run a ratchet strap around the bikes in the bike rack and around the square rear bumper just to take the "play" out of the bikes hanging out there...

Works very well, bikes do not move.

Hope that helps!
Great to hear you have a solution. I noticed the problem the instant I saw the thing at the dealer. But since we had to special order ours I figured certainly they would hear from the masses during our build and move the darn tire over. But no! Three months after ordering, same position. We have the insulation blanket underneath so under won't work. I'm thinking about moving the spare left as far as possible and putting an extension on the tail lights (maybe wire right through the spare).
phragman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lite, rockwood, ultralite