Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2020, 08:39 AM   #1
Arborist

2109S known issues I should get ahead of?

Hello. I am new here and new to Rockwood. I was researching which trailer to purchase upgrading from my 2003 KZ which did me great for many years. I landed with this unit as it appeared that vacuum bonded walls was the way to go for a fiberglass rig and the floor plan fit what my wife and I needed. I hope I made a good choice. I am curious to know if anyone can provide some feed back on known weak/failure points that I can make upgrade mods to now before I stumble upon them at the most inconvenient time. Thanks in advance for any input! Stay safe
Trees3111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 08:47 AM   #2

Congratulations and Welcome to the forum from New Jersey, I have a slightly different model but just keep in mind ALL these unit are built quick,fast and in a hurry! Ask questions here, A lot of great people here.
Chris Pastuzyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 09:18 AM   #3

I have similar, 2104s, Murphy bed model. Unfortunately we had a major problem with the bearings in one of the axles not being greased. Lost the entire wheel, tire, hub, brakes etc. on the highway. Kitchen sink fell out on our last trip. The clips holding the sink to the counter fell out. Several pieces of molding fell off but easy fix. Never ending little white styrofoam pellets coming from the air conditioner ducts because of the way they designed the system. Again not a big problem just have vacuum ready. WiFi ranger was installed in my trailer big waste of money. The little portable grill that comes with the trailer is a joke. I’ve replaced that already. The biggest and most annoying thing is the booth table rocking. No fix there except to replace it with something else. This trailer is less than one year old with only about 5 trips.
All in all its a good little trailer compared to the others we looked at. And as the op said they are built fast just watch their video. Price in this business doesn’t equate to quality.
Dennis878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 01:14 PM   #4

All my drawers were falling apart after driving it home. I put in longer screws and ran a bead of wood glue around all the joints. Look at Tunda's mod thread, it would be hard to think of any thing more you could do to a 2109.
Old 08-02-2020, 08:44 PM   #5

I have had only minor problems with mine. It is just right for wife and I.
Old 08-03-2020, 01:45 PM   #6

2109S

Had my 2109S 5 years and love it. 1st 6 months were hell. Electric stabilizer Jack broke in dealer lot before I ever took delivery. Fridge went out after 6 months as did the radio/CD unit and 2 window shades broke. All fixed under warranty. New rado/CD unit went out again within a year. Replaced it myself. Very easy. I'm single so it suits me fine. First thing I did was to chunk that huge & heavy table. Replaced it with TV tray. Lots more usable room now. The leather on the sofa wears thin very fast. I suggest start off with a sofa cover. Also chunked the cheap mattress before I ever got it home. Bought 8 inch memory foam. Love all the storage. I'm a full time rv'r. Never had a tire or bearing problem. Had a generator stand welded to back bumper and a 4500 watt Westinghouse invertor gen. with remote start. Also have a Renogy 200 watt solar panel that keeps 2 batteries charged. Love my 2109S.
WayUpHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 03:36 PM   #7

More you should know

I boondock 99% of the time. So when I get somewhere I fill up my freshwater tank to the top. Do not drive with tank over 1/2 full. Look under trailer when tank is full. The support straps are at their limit. The tank bulges down over them. Mfgr also installed tank heating pads straddling the straps - poor idea as the bulge crushes the heating pads. Someone didn't think. Of course forget about the silly idiot lights for tank volumes. Worthless. Cabinet doors above sofa will come open during travel. I installed tiny eye hooks and use mini bungees to keep them shut. Get a slider topper. Good investment. Enjoy your new trailer.
Old 08-03-2020, 04:15 PM   #8

We purchased our 2190S in 2016 (2017 model), so this is our 5th season of use. We've put a lot of miles on it. Read the maintenance manual carefully. We missed that you have to add distilled water to the battery (our first RV, and cars don't require that), so the battery failed at the end of the 2nd season - totally our fault. In a recent trip the glass tray fell out of the microwave in transit and shattered, so remove it for travel. I agree with taking out that big, heavy table and using TV trays. That's what we do, also, as it gives you more space to move around in. We usually use campground showers, so we put a spring shower bar across the bathroom and use it to hang jackets in the shower. They're easily moved if we have to shower. I find the sofa to be very uncomfortable, but my husband thinks it's fine. So far we have the original heated mattress and sleep fine on it. We may need to get a topper eventually. My husband put shelves in the wardrobes on each side of the bed, which is much better than how they came. Maybe that's changed with the new models. I think that's the end of my story. We love our 2109S!
Eldereaglewatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 05:02 PM   #9

Yeah the table will have to go. I store my tv trays behind the couch. Also, I believe it was 01Tundra that used a pool noodle in the microwave to hold the plate in.

Here is HIS THREAD
Old 08-04-2020, 01:48 PM   #10
Arborist

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayUpHigh View Post
I boondock 99% of the time. So when I get somewhere I fill up my freshwater tank to the top. Do not drive with tank over 1/2 full. Look under trailer when tank is full. The support straps are at their limit. The tank bulges down over them. Mfgr also installed tank heating pads straddling the straps - poor idea as the bulge crushes the heating pads. Someone didn't think. Of course forget about the silly idiot lights for tank volumes. Worthless. Cabinet doors above sofa will come open during travel. I installed tiny eye hooks and use mini bungees to keep them shut. Get a slider topper. Good investment. Enjoy your new trailer.

Thanks that was helpful!
Old 08-04-2020, 01:53 PM   #11
Arborist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahall View Post
Yeah the table will have to go. I store my tv trays behind the couch. Also, I believe it was 01Tundra that used a pool noodle in the microwave to hold the plate in.

Here is HIS THREAD

Thanks
Old 08-04-2020, 02:49 PM   #12

Hi there. We purchased a 2020 2109s this spring, and have been out camping with it 3 times so far, with 3 more trips booked. It’s exactly the floor plan we wanted for 2 of us, our dog, and bunk beds for our granddaughter when she comes. Before our first trip, we had an issue with our interior fridge freezing everything. A circuit board was changed out under warranty and is working perfectly now. We weren’t sure about having a Murphy bed, but love the extra floor space it adds. It’s super easy to pop it in and out. The water capacity is significantly more than our previous hybrid, so on-board showers are not a problem a campground showers are closed for the season in Ontario. Tons of storage, especially outside. The outdoor kitchen and fridge are a nice addition too - we use it a lot. We love this trailer!!
Jazzmynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 01:10 PM   #13

Take A Look

IF, you are looking at the 2109s but have not purchased yet, do yourself a favor and look at the 2205s.

Same open floorplan but with WAY MORE features over the 2109s.

I can say that cause we traded our 2109s for the 2205s with theater seats.

You won't be sorry.
6CatDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 06:21 PM   #14

I had my stairs fall off on the road on my latest trip, I would re-enforce those. The little set screw came out on the burners, and the slide out had delineation from factory new. Took nearly a year dealing with an incompetent dealer.

Added two 6v batteries and that was great add on. Couch cover was good. Also epoxied closed half the shower holes which really increased the pressure and that’s nice.

Also replaced the CO detector with a battery powered detector. I also pull the fuse on the radio to extend battery life.
Shooting4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 06:43 PM   #15

theater seats

How are the theater seats on the 2205S? I'm trying to convince my husband we need to somehow get rid of the sofa in our 2109.
Eldereaglewatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 02:56 AM   #16

2109S known issues I should get ahead of?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldereaglewatcher
How are the theater seats on the 2205S? I'm trying to convince my husband we need to somehow get rid of the sofa in our 2109.

To answer your question, my wife and I really like the theater seats, and they are the reason we traded our 21FBRS in on a 2205S.

However, if you’re thinking of pulling the jackknife sofa out and putting in the theater seating, think again. The 2109S slide mechanism is under the sofa. And the slide isn’t deep enough in my opinion to handle the theater seating even if the slide mechanism wasn’t an issue.

Joe
Past: 2018 Flagstaff MicroLite 21FBRS
Past: 2005 Flagstaff Classic 625D
TV: 2016 Ford F-150 3.5 EcoBoost
marinerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 06:49 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldereaglewatcher View Post
Yep, like Marinerjoe posted, not much you can do with the 2109s jacknife torture sofa due to slide design...

That dang sofa is the main reason we traded up to the 2205s.

And, not to rub it in but the theater seats are really comfortable, fold out nearly flat easily make for extra beds.

I force myself out of the recliners to get into the bed so as not to waste a good nights sleep on the mattress we replaced, but the bride ops to stay in the recliner sometimes.
6CatDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 01:57 PM   #18

In additions to what has already been mentioned, really look at the kitchen sink. Under and over. Make sure it has silicone all the way around it and there are some type of metal, not plastic, clips holding it underneath. Scratch at the stabilizer jacks. If the paint comes off, make them put on new ones. Make them show you how to use the Shower Miser and write down the directions. Find out where the water filter is. Ask how to put a new filter in.
Use the water with the water pump on. Put water in the toilet and flush it a bunch of times and check for leaks. Spray water in the shower all over and check for leaks in the shower doors. Turn on all the faucets and look for leaks. Also, check to see if the faucets wiggle, if they do, make them tighten them down. Put your purse or something at least 10 pounds on the bed and see if the under bed struts will hold it up. Check that the blinds can be pulled down all the way without causing a lot of strain on the screws holding the strings. The string screws should be installed under the bottom of the window, not next to it. Look under the couch and see how big the hole is for the two little water pipes coming through. Ours was huge and let in a big draft plus dirt from the road. Crawl in the front storage area and look at the plywood under the bed and check for cracks. Check the anode rod in the hot water heater to make sure it is new. Check that the water heater works on both electric and gas and have them show you how to use it. Check the front windshield for cracks. Good luck! It's a pretty nice trailer, but as you can tell, we have had a few problems with ours.
Old 08-17-2020, 05:23 PM   #19

How much does the 2205s weigh? I pull my 2109s with a 20 year old Durango with the 5.9L and it's close to its limit. I'm a full timer and single so the 2109 is perfect for me. Lots of storage.
Old 09-29-2020, 06:26 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayUpHigh View Post
I boondock 99% of the time. Get a slider topper. Good investment.
What is a slider topper?
Thanks
Timbertrail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
210, 2109s