Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2012, 06:49 AM   #1

2109s Mini Lite, Entry Door Problems

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this: Last year on our second road trip with our 2012, 2109s Mini Lite, the entry door to the trailer opened unexpectedly while on the interstate. Only noticed it because of a strange howling noise while driving. Blamed ourselves for not locking it properly before departure, however, we are pretty meticulous with our departure checklist and could have sworn that it was locked; both the deadbolt as well as the handle. On our current road trip the same thing has happened and we both assured ourselves that it had been doubled locked before leaving. This leads us to the possible conclusion that the TT frame is shifting, so much that the door pops open(?) However, can hardly believe it. To prevent this unnerving problem from happening again, on this current trip (Canadian Maritimes), we've placed a bungee across the door to the grab handle as a precaution. Just wondering whether anyone else has encountered this problem?
mkillora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 07:01 AM   #2

I also have a 2109s but have never experienced this issue. We also have a rough transition in our driveway that I'm sure puts a pretty good flex on everything and the door has stayed secured. I wonder if the latch position is adjustable or the door is not centered properly. It takes a good amount of force to even close our door normally, not sure if yours is the same way.
Old 09-15-2012, 06:43 PM   #3

Was the dead bolt still sticking out when you had this problem? If it wasn't then the handle needs to be replaced or maybe the door just wasn't closed.

Our door is a little tight so we have to be careful to make sure that it is properly closed. We never lock it to travel.
Old 09-16-2012, 03:12 PM   #4

2012 mini lite 2109s

We have a mini-lite also. Never had problems with the door. But............. we had a large "D" handle put on the area of the grab bar, for ease of entry and exit. When we are in the travel mode, the "D" handle folds forward, and locks in place. It would keep the door closed if the door ever has a problem as you have mentioned. The "D" handle was put on when we purchased the trailer. It is screwed into the door frame of the trailer.

Robert
robert elling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 06:00 PM   #5

We have 1809s (like yours but with sideways bed). I would find it hard to believe it would open if both locks were engaged.

That being said... I have found that you have to be careful with turning the key to lock. The deadbolt turns one way and the regular lock turns the other way. If only the regular (top) lock is engaged, the door may not be completely shut and it could pop open. I have noticed this when I thought it was locked sitting in our yard, but when I pulled the handle,the door came open. If this was the case on the hwy, after a few bumps I could see how it would open by itself.

Again if both locks are FULLY engaged, esp the deadbolt... I don't think you will have a problem. Of course, a little bungee insurance never hurts.

P.S. Trick regarding bungee cords: I use one to lift low hanging tow chains and wiring cord up a little to keep them a little more off the ground. Since it stretches, can never be a problem. Trick is to use one the right size and let it hang down loose...
FreedomTracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 06:08 PM   #6

The door CAN be adjusted. Ours was held close with a handle but we had the same thing happen. It was to the point to locking the deadbolt while traveling. When we brought it home yesterday with just the regular lock locked it stayed shut the whole way home (~150 miles)

Felicia & Jeff - Missouri
2013 Columbus - 320 RS 2012 F350 CC DRW - 6.7L PSD
2012 Camping 59 DAYS; 2013 50 DAYS; 2014 WAITING
Earth Station is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:43 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by lswartz View Post
Was the dead bolt still sticking out when you had this problem? If it wasn't then the handle needs to be replaced or maybe the door just wasn't closed.

Our door is a little tight so we have to be careful to make sure that it is properly closed. We never lock it to travel.

How do you like the Tundra? We're currently pulling our 2109s with a Toyota Tacoma. Pulls okay, but down to third/second gear (standard transmission) on steep grades. I keep second guessing myself, thinking that the Tundra would be the cat's ass as far as less effort.
mkillora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 06:46 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkillora View Post
How do you like the Tundra? We're currently pulling our 2109s with a Toyota Tacoma. Pulls okay, but down to third/second gear (standard transmission) on steep grades. I keep second guessing myself, thinking that the Tundra would be the cat's ass as far as less effort.
A Tundra is a little overkill for the 2109S but is does a great job as a TV. I don't need a weigh distributing hitch or anti sway bars. Camping life is great, eh.

Tags
210, 2109s