Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2015, 08:57 PM   #1

2109s Slideout Potential Leak Issue

This is our fourth season in our Rockwood 2109s. I regularly check the roof and windows looking for anything that might indicate a leak problem. Other than a couple minor issues with a few seams on the roof when we took delivery, everything was well sealed, and it has been leak free. Then, late last fall I noticed some bubbling of the roof material on the outside corners of the slide out. Didnt look like much at that point, and since I planned to Eternabond all seams the following year, and the unit was stored inside all winter, I decided not to pursue it further at that time. This spring it looked like it was worse than I remembered, and after some poking and pulling found that the factory applied eternabond tape was not very well adhered in the very outside corner. I found dirt and debris under the tape which Possibly was the root cause of the adhesion problem. I couldn't find any softness in the underlying structure, so I cleaned the surfaces and appied a new 6" wide strip of Eternabond the full length of the seam.
I constantly check everywhere for water intrusion, but have never found any dampness whatsoever even in the many downpours we have experienced. Even so the telltale bubbling I found is clear evidence that some water was getting into the sructure, and as we all know even a small amount over a long perod of time will eventually lead to serious problems requiring expensive repairs. In the case of these Ultra lites with their vacuum formed structures, doubly so.
All that being said, I am more than satisfied with this trailer. This is the only serious problem we have had in three plus years, and I consider it my own fault for not being more diligent in my inspections.
The photo shows the repair and the irregular surface under it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150701_194539.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	81858   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150701_194727.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	121.5 KB
ID:	81859   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150701_194708.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	135.6 KB
ID:	81860  
mararra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 05:39 AM   #2

Oh my, I hope you are wrong. I'll be checking mine after the weekend.

Thanks much for the pictures.
Old 07-06-2015, 10:58 AM   #3

That's a bit troubling. I resealed my front and rear roof seams yesterday but didn't bother looking at my slideout under the slide cover. Ladder is still where I left it so out I go to check it right now.
6.0 Liter, 4:10 rear
2012 Rockwood MiniLite 2109S
Reese Dual-Cam
clm3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
210, 2109s, leak, slide, slide out