Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2020, 08:58 AM   #1

2109s vs. 2509s

I am new here. My husband and I are seriously considering getting a Rockwood Mini-lite. Our situation is that we are new to RVing and would be going with our youngest, who is 13. About the time he graduates is when my husband will be retiring. We originally were looking at the 2109s, so we could easily pull it with our 2012 Ford F-150 or maybe even our Expedition.

However, that would put our son on the pull out couch every night. Plus there would only be seating there on the couch for the three of us. Because of that we are also looking at the 2509s so he could have his own bed, and we would have more seating options with the couch and dinette.

What is holding me back is the storage we would lose inside with the 2509s. The 2109s has under the bed storage, including those easy to access drawers. Then there is the over the bed storage lost. Also the bathroom loses the shelves over the toilet. So that seems to be a lot less storage for a trailer that is supposed to be for more people.

Can someone offer any insight? We want to make it “comfortable” for the three of us but also are looking ahead to when it is just the two of us. Of course, the bigger one would allow for our grandkids to come with us in the future. Again...storage!
RVNanaShep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 11:07 AM   #2

My 30 year old daughter camps with us occasionally and I will say that in a 2109S, three people are cramped. We manage but it is only a few nights a year with her. If I had a teenager that camped all the time, I would have something bigger. You are right about storage... I have storage compartments that I don't even use.
Old 07-05-2020, 07:29 PM   #3

We chose the 2205s. Seating though limited offers plenty of room with the slide out to set two camp chairs inside if you are wanting additional seating. Realistically your have a limited number of camping season left with your teen and unlimited seasons left with your hubbie.
flyflotrtim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 08:54 AM   #4

We've got the 2509s, two teenage kids and love it. We figure, when the kids leave, we can just use the bunks for storage or friends.
DadJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 09:06 AM   #5
Part-Time Campground Host

Not sure how many days in a row you plan on camping, but storage is our number one priority. We camp 180 days at a time (snowbirding..LOL). Between the camper and the truck bed we are packed to the gills.
Equalizer Hitch w/4-Point Sway Control

Days camped since 2015(retirement): 1651
cboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 02:22 PM   #6

Make The Right Choice

Please, listen to folks who have spent/LEARNED if you like the 2109S platform, PLEASE look at a 2205S WITH THEATER SEATS in the slide.

Theater seats are also 2 VERY COMFORTABLE BEDS.

We have 2 "Lifetime" (brand) tv tray tables ( very heavy duty that fold and fit behind the theater seats) we use for tables, or extra counter space, when left up as needed...

We had a 2109S, so can speak to ir's shortcomings...

If you like that open floorplan, the 2205S is the way to go... with THEATER SEATS/BEDS!!

The storage over the 2109S is beyond compare, full on open floorplan, the added heigth of the 2205S is a welcome plus for many things but especially if you use a ' blue pooper" in non full hookup sites... you know what I mean, or, you will...

Good luck, get the right one first with NO buyers remorse.

Been there. DONE THAT $$$
6CatDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 02:33 PM   #7

A 13 year old is going to want to take friends. I would suggest adding a tent to your camping trips.
Old 07-08-2020, 04:32 PM   #8

We're a family of 4 at the moment, but have an older daughter that comes with us sometimes (So 5 sometimes). We all fit in our 2019 2509s, we use the area under the bottom bunk for storage, and have found enough room in the remaining storage compartments. Not familiar with the other model you mentioned, but the 2509s seems to be fine. However, I would like more storage but it seems most all the space is used wisely and not much wasted space aside from the area behind the bed but it is not too much room.
efiguero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 09:46 PM   #9

I'll bet 90% of RV owners wish they had more storage. [emoji16]
DadJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 06:21 AM   #10

2109s vs. 2509s

We bought the 2109s and loved the camper as “couples camper” but our 15 year old son was absolutely miserable on the jack knife sofa. We even tried using a cot and bed roll at night but it took up pretty much all of the available floor space.

We bit the bullet and traded it in on a 2018 2509s that would accommodate us better. We love the camper and I think all campers in this size range are a compromise in several areas including storage, dining area, sitting area etc... We have upgraded and modified the camper till we have it pretty much the way we want it and love it now. I love the outdoor kitchen on the 2509 and would not want a camper without one now. Our son is pretty much grown college, job, friends etc and rarely goes with us anymore so the rear bunks have become an extra storage area and my nap place during the afternoon.

Someday we will likely upgrade to the Grand Design Imagine 2670MK as it has everything we want and then some. It will be my retirement gift to myself! But for now we are very satisfied with the 2509 and wish we had bought it initially instead of the 2109 for the sleeping arrangements. Would have saved me some money!
Ablazes2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 09:26 PM   #11

Thanks for your input, everybody!
RVNanaShep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 09:39 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVNanaShep View Post
I am new here. My husband and I are seriously considering getting a Rockwood Mini-lite. Our situation is that we are new to RVing and would be going with our youngest, who is 13. About the time he graduates is when my husband will be retiring. We originally were looking at the 2109s, so we could easily pull it with our 2012 Ford F-150 or maybe even our Expedition. ...
Consider a model with a U-dinette. We have a 2507S. LOTS of storage, and an outside kitchen. We pull it with an F150 MaxTow SuperCrew.

Although it will be annoying to lower the table every night and raise it every morning, the size of the U-dinette bed is more than adequate for a single person. And that allows for future growth. Besides which, lots of families in popups do that every day.

While you can consider your future use when selecting one for current use, focus on current use. You're new to camping and have no idea what you really like in a trailer. In four or five years, your preferences may be very different. Many people keep their trailer for a long time, but it probably wasn't their first one. Don't be surprised if you consider a change when you're retired.

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
210, 2109s