Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2020, 01:59 PM   #1

2205S Owners Thread

Why not?? !!

I hafta say, goin from a 2109S to the 2205S is like night and day!

We had a 2109S, loved the open floorplan, BUT despised the torture jacknife death chair...

So, with no real options to rid ourselves of the jacknife sofa of death (look, I am kidding but did hate that sofa, so calm down if you like it I am happy for you) we got ourselves the 2205S.

Thanks, Rockwood good job on this unit. We now have THEATER SEATS!! THAT ARE TWO VERY COMFORTABLE BEDS in our opinion... I would say that should be the only option to have in that slide, YES, they are that nice... In our opinion....

Anyways, great platform for a " couples" camper.

The storage in this over the 2109S is beyond compare...

I only say that for anyone on the fence looking to buy a 2109S, go 2205S with THEATER SEATS! Yes, even with kids, those theater seats are 2 beds waitin for adult or kid to sleep on/in...

Oh yea, and the mattress that comes standard, do yourself a favor, admit it is junk and go for a GOOD mattress, no foam toppers that fix an awful mattress under it, you spent for the trailer, spend for a COMFORTABLE mattress...
We did a Mattress Insiders 8" foam... You WILL BE GLAD YOU DID, if you spend a little now...

Anyways, lets hear it 2205S owners...

Nothing said here is against anybodies choice on what you have... hey this is our 3rd Rockwood in as many years, only posted to make somebody take an extra look before buying something you may question when yer usin it...

2205S people, POST!

6CD. (way more than 6 truth be told, we are foster fails and love our kittens...) just sayin!
6CatDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 03:24 AM   #2

We also made the move from a 2018 21FBRS (2109S) to a 2020 2205S strictly because of the jackknife sofa. The theater seats are the BEST!

The other enhancements we got on the 2205S include the fireplace, larger TV, electric stabilizer jacks, a much larger pass-through storage compartment, and easier inside access to the water heater, water pump, and water filter. Plus, the water miser in the shower is a nice touch.

The larger slide with side windows is also a nice touch, allowing a little breeze in the early morning before it gets too hot outside.

We love ours and have absolutely no regrets about upgrading to an only one foot longer camper.

Joe
Past: 2018 Flagstaff MicroLite 21FBRS
Past: 2005 Flagstaff Classic 625D
TV: 2016 Ford F-150 3.5 EcoBoost
marinerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 09:05 PM   #3

We also like our new 2205s. Lubed the axles today and found the rubber gasket which seals the zerk fitting is missing on one axle. Anyone else experience this? By the way, the axles didn't need any additional grease, use a total of 1/3 tube for the four wheels, but glad I checked.
flyflotrtim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 12:39 PM   #4

Ez Lube

The E Z Lube axles get a LOT of pro/con posts... I don't know why.

My opinion of them is they are a fantastic option. As in the previous post, good idea to "check" grease them to be sure they did not slip past quality control...

All over the place as to whether or not they are a good idea.

I say they ARE a good idea, it is people that screw up and overdo it, overgrease the bearings.

If folks would go on the Dexter axle website, on the EZ LUBE portion, look at the exploded view of how the design of the grease flow into your bearings is perfect.

Really, you do not need to completely replace the grease in the hubs. Drum brakes do not build the heat of disc brakes, but as long as you are using THE PROPER GREASE, just a few pumps from a hand grease gun is all you need to add to keep your hubs lubed properly.

I have read posts where folks still take hubs apart to hand pack the bearings. That works, but you are using up just about all your day needlessly taking everything apart and back together when the EZ LUBE design does all that for you.

Of course this is my opinion, but having spent many years in a prior career as a heavy truck class A diesel mechanic, I sorta know about what I post about.

Jus' sayin...

6CD
Old 07-18-2020, 12:45 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6CatDaddy View Post
The E Z Lube axles get a LOT of pro/con posts... I don't know why.

My opinion of them is they are a fantastic option. As in the previous post, good idea to "check" grease them to be sure they did not slip past quality control...

All over the place as to whether or not they are a good idea.

I say they ARE a good idea, it is people that screw up and overdo it, overgrease the bearings.

If folks would go on the Dexter axle website, on the EZ LUBE portion, look at the exploded view of how the design of the grease flow into your bearings is perfect.

Really, you do not need to completely replace the grease in the hubs. Drum brakes do not build the heat of disc brakes, but as long as you are using THE PROPER GREASE, just a few pumps from a hand grease gun is all you need to add to keep your hubs lubed properly.

I have read posts where folks still take hubs apart to hand pack the bearings. That works, but you are using up just about all your day needlessly taking everything apart and back together when the EZ LUBE design does all that for you.

Of course this is my opinion, but having spent many years in a prior career as a heavy truck class A diesel mechanic, I sorta know about what I post about.

Jus' sayin...

6CD
SO...if you only use the EZ-Lube system, how do you inspect bearings and brakes every year or 12K miles as specified in the Dexter manual?
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 12:23 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
SO...if you only use the EZ-Lube system, how do you inspect bearings and brakes every year or 12K miles as specified in the Dexter manual?
Easy. While wheel is off the ground ck for any brg play, spin wheel and feel and listen...

If all feels and sounds ok, few pumps of grease and I am good.

The brakes, well if not driving in a style that would wear your brakes out in a hurry, again I go by feel. If trlr stops well using the brake controller and during a trip each wheel hub and drums are all even temps I know everything inside is ok.

Thats how I roll, you do what makes you comfortable.
Old 07-20-2020, 04:38 PM   #7

2205S Owners

Need input on this thread for an AMAZING NEW MODEL F.R. came out with.

What if any mods have you done to yours?

Our 2205S, I replaced flimsy OEM stab jacks (manual) with BAL made in USA stabs, whole lot beefier...

Put a dimmer switch to ease the welding flash brightness of the interior puck lights at night.

Soft close wooden toilet seat on the Dometic porcelean bowl.

Replaced the FIC elec tongue jack with a Husky Super Brute 4k lb jack. Very nice, quiet and fast.

Original mattress designed for torture replaced immediately with Mattress Insiders 8" memory foam... Ahhh, reason we need an alarm clock when camping...

GOT RID OF BLACK TANK FLUSH ANTI SIPHON CHECK VALVE UNDER BATHROOM SINK!!!
Ran straight line to black tank. Put anti siphon valve outside on hose end when flushing.
Not a question of IF ck valve will leak water all over INSIDE of your unit, but when it will s$#t the bed.

Put spare tire under trailer and off the back bumper using a BAL retractable spare tire mount.
Now bikes on Swagman bike rack in rear receiver don't hit the spare.

Added a Roku stick to A/V set up to enjoy Youtube and more where we go.

Ok, some of what we did, what have you did, c'mon?
Old 07-20-2020, 06:08 PM   #8

2205S Owners Thread

Some of my enhancements:

Furrion Observation Camera
LevelMatePRO
Andersen Levelers
BAL X-Chocks
RVLock Keyless Door Lock
Coleman Mach Digital Thermostat
Fastway Tongue Jack Foot
Mopeka Tank Check with display
Torklift Solar PowerArmor Battery Box w/2 12v batteries
Torklift Gas Lock for Propane Tanks
Stromberg Carlson AM-533 Extended Entry Handle
Stromberg Carlson Hose/Cord Caddy x3
Awning Hold Down Brackets from Old Coot
The Claw Anchors
AcuRite Atlas Weather Station

Probably a couple more I can’t think of. Many of these were transferred from my 2018 21FBRS when I got the 2205S in January.

Joe
Old 07-21-2020, 08:20 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinerjoe View Post
Some of my enhancements:

Coleman Mach Digital Thermostat
Fastway Tongue Jack Foot

Probably a couple more I can’t think of. Many of these were transferred from my 2018 21FBRS when I got the 2205S in January.

Joe
Joe, can you give me specifics on the Coleman mach digital thermostat and the the fastway tongue jack foot? I looked on amazon and see a few, just curious which ones you got. Thanks.
baseballbuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 12:20 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseballbuzz View Post
Joe, can you give me specifics on the Coleman mach digital thermostat and the the fastway tongue jack foot? I looked on amazon and see a few, just curious which ones you got. Thanks.

My pleasure. Here’s the thermostat I used:

https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Airxc...s%2C154&sr=8-3

And here’s the Fastway foot:

https://www.amazon.com/Fastway-88-00...5351950&sr=8-2

Joe
Old 08-22-2020, 01:05 PM   #11

Hi!

Aww, the poor thread was way in the back...

Just wonderin if there are more 2205s purchasers out there and what do you think of your new rig?

Any updates or changes?

Sorry for bein nosy...
Old 08-22-2020, 08:20 PM   #12

Our 2205S has been great. First summer using it no serious problems. Several trips to the very high Sierra dry camping. We put usb rechargeable puck lights in all the closets and shelves. Added a shelf to the rear clothes closets. Purchased see through storage bins for bathroom shelves and under the bed storage areas. Added 2 x 50 watt solar suitcase panels. Made a flag holder and placed it at top of the ladder. Bought a torklift folding stair to replace the drawbridge style that comes with the trailer, couldn't put down the OE stair in my garage. Purchase a pretty thick pad for the bed, still mighty firm though.

The tongue jack is pretty wimpy but does the job. The light globe fell off in travel and shattered, what a mess that made. A few minor things to fix at the PDI. All in all things are going well.

It is irritating that I can't lower my truck tailgate when the trailer is hooked up. Tried lots of mods for that none of which worked.
flyflotrtim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 10:38 PM   #13

Hey guys, enjoyed all the comments. We just sold our 19fd and purchased a 2205S 9 days ago. So far love it. Other than adding solar I don’t see that it needs many mods. I am somewhat concerned about the anti siphon valve mentioned above. What is it’s purpose and why is it located under the bathroom sink?
Mclayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 02:37 PM   #14

2205s👍

The a/s under the sink is there to prevent the chance of black water mixing back into the fresh source hooked onto the black tank flush on the outside of the camper.

If you eliminate the chance of it leaking water into the camper when blk tk flushing by removing it and replacing with a straight union, THEN, using an anti siphon valve on the outside blk tk flush connection between the hose and the trailer, you are still protecting the water source, but do not have to worry about water leaking inside the wagon.

Had that happen on a 2109s we had and not fun cleaning that up and drying it out.
Old 10-05-2020, 08:03 PM   #15

Anti siphon valve

Thanks for the info, apparently I need to add it to my list of mods.
Mclayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 08:22 PM   #16

We just picked up our 2205S a few weeks ago. We LOVE it! We did notice a small leak at the water heater in the cabinet after a couple uses though. We have a water regulator and it's set to 40psi so it couldnt have been from too high pressure. We can't seem to locate the leak so we are bringing it in for the first warranty work soon, they are scheduled way out. Thats the only issue so far. We added 190watt panel today and a charge controller-having it pre-wired made it a breeze. Of course we ordered with the theater seats which was the only way to go in my opinion. We did get a surprise when we picked it up- we thought it was going to have heat/massage but for 2021 model year they switched it to a lumbar adjustment and took away the heat/massage. So that was a bummer and we asked FR, they said it was due to having longevity issues with the heat/massage chairs. Cheers to a really great floor plan!
rounjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 08:56 PM   #17

Roundly,

Very big congrats on your new 2205S. We have one on order, can’t wait! Let us know what the cause of the leak was so we can keep an eye on it.

Which color scheme did you go for? Any factory installed options? Other than the solar add on are you planning any other options/upgrades?
WanderMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 11:57 PM   #18

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderMore View Post
Roundly,

Very big congrats on your new 2205S. We have one on order, can’t wait! Let us know what the cause of the leak was so we can keep an eye on it.

Which color scheme did you go for? Any factory installed options? Other than the solar add on are you planning any other options/upgrades?
Will do about the leak. We went with the white color since we're in SOCAL with direct sun a lot we thought it might be cooler? Who knows. I do like the darker front cap on the other color scheme though.

We already upgraded the thermostat to a digital, added a peel n' stick backsplash to the kitchen area, memory foam mattress (factory mattress is trash), i have a tow vehicle with mirrors that don't see around the 8ft wide trailer so we added the furion side view cameras as well as the rear one, and bought a chamption 4250 watt invertor genset that is quiet and fits perfectly in the large front storage bay for backup power. There are many numerous things we got to make the trailer more easy to park/setup like the levelmatepro which i highly recommend... thats a short list of my fav things i guess. Happy trails!
rounjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 01:40 PM   #19

My wife and I ordered a 2021 2205S in early October. Options include 15,000-btu a/c, 12-volt fridge/solar package, ashwood interior, hide-a-bed sofa and white exterior color. I'll be installing two 200ah lithium iron phosphate batteries along with the appropriate charger and two additional solar panels. As this will be our last travel trailer, as well as being the only trailer we've bought new, I thought "why not"?
Due to ongoing health issues, we told the salesman we're ok with however long it takes to build/ship the trailer.
I received a text from the salesman this morning 12/24/2020 that we now have a VIN. That's kind of a nice Christmas present.
18LT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 02:02 PM   #20

Good to know. We ordered ours in mid October but with the holidays and ‘Covid’ our delivery could stretch out a bit. But that’s OK as I don’t want to drive to and back from the dealer in Ohio during a snow storm.
WanderMore is offline   Reply With Quote