Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2015, 08:37 AM   #1

2504s first outing and grey tank not flushing

Question for all you 2504s owners. We had our first trip out with our new 2015 2504s. We are so glad we picked this floorplan and loved the murphy bed, slide out, and all the storage areas. The hot water heater anode seemed to have a slow leak but I did not put on new teflon/pipe tape and forget my socket wrench. Hopefully using teflon taping and using the right tool will fix that.

Everything seems to be working well - except maybe the grey tank flush valve. After watching cousin Eddie dump his tanks at the dump station I was up. Coming from popup land, this was my biggest fear. However, it was easy. My tank sensor said the BW level was 2/3 full and my GW level was low. The black tank flushed w/o issues, but when I went to dump the grey tank I didn't see any liquid coming out. We only stayed one night, and did not shower. We did dishea one night, and used the bathroom sink alot. I am not exactly sure what sinks drain into the grey water tank, but I was expecting SOME water from the kitchen sink to come out. The dump station site seemed level, so I am not sure if the grey tank valve is working or the tank was so low nothing came out. Does anyone have any advice on this?

BTW, I definitely recommend a clear coupler and the Rhino sewer hose kit, it worked very well.
nc_camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 05:55 PM   #2

Did you see that guy behind you at the dump station? He thought YOU looked like Cousin Eddy!!

Seriously, it doesn't sound like you had much grey water to come out.

Kitchen sink, bathroom sink and tub should all go to the grey water tank. Toilet only goes to the black. But looking at your floor plan, I wouldn't be surprised if your bathroom sink went to the BW tank!

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 09:14 PM   #3

I think all your sinks drain into your GW tank. I always make sure my GW tank is at least 3/4 full before I leave a CG because you need that much to wash out your sewer hose after you dump the BW tank. Just turn on the sinks and tub and keep checking the gauge until it is at at least 3/4.
Charliec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 10:26 PM   #4

I believe the bathroom sink drains into the blank tank based on the location being right over the blank tank. The kitchen drain runs a ways to get to the gray tank and may be holding some water. With my 2504s, seems like there is always more black than gray water even after showers and all.
firecapt61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 10:15 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
Did you see that guy behind you at the dump station? He thought YOU looked like Cousin Eddy!!
LOL, I bet he thought I was a total germaphobe!

After talking with my dealer RV technician I am going to leave the grey water valve open and dump 5 gals of water down the shower drain and see if it comes out. If not, its time for my first service/warranty repair visit.
Old 05-05-2015, 10:33 AM   #6

NC Camper ,has your unit have a (Black Tank Rinse) installed? If you were only there Over Night you needed LOTS of water to Flush your B/T! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 10:40 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
NC Camper ,has your unit have a (Black Tank Rinse) installed? If you were only there Over Night you needed LOTS of water to Flush your B/T! Youroo!!
Yooroo, yes it does have the BTR port but I had someone behind me waiting to dump so I didn't flush this first trip out. Thanks for the advice. I'll be sure to flush it on my next trip out. How often do you normally flush your B/T?
Old 05-05-2015, 03:56 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nc_camper View Post
How often do you normally flush your B/T?
After you drain your black tank. Then fill up a few gallons ready for next trip. DO NOT use (#2) your black tank empty
Old 05-08-2015, 08:18 AM   #9

Thanks for the replies and advice on this thread. I took my 5 gallon water jug over to do an experiment and dump it straight into the shower to see if it ran out the grey water tank. Before doing this experiment as soon as I opened the grey water tank valve the grey water from last weekend immediately poured out into my bucket.

I have no idea why it didn't work at the dump station like this. After it drained ~5 gals. I then left the valve open and dumped my 5 gal water jug down the shower drain. The water ran straight out the grey water tank valve, so there was no blockage I could see.

I am not sure if something became dislodged driving home or I have a flaky valve, but I'll have to keep an eye on this the next trip out.
Old 05-08-2015, 08:24 AM   #10
Site Team

The tanks are a solid one piece when made. After they are installed the factory uses a hole saw to cut the opening where it is needed. Sometimes the disc that is cut out falls back into the tank instead of coming out in the hole saw. If that happens, it can occasionally block the hole. This could explain your problem. Over time, it should get stuck to the bottom or side of thank and be less of a problem.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 03:21 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
The tanks are a solid one piece when made. After they are installed the factory uses a hole saw to cut the opening where it is needed. Sometimes the disc that is cut out falls back into the tank instead of coming out in the hole saw. If that happens, it can occasionally block the hole. This could explain your problem. Over time, it should get stuck to the bottom or side of thank and be less of a problem.
Thanks Flybob, this makes perfect sense. I'll bring a wire hanger with me next time in the camper, and maybe I can snake it in there if it happens again. I'll have my service tech check it whenever I bring it in. I'm just glad it's not the B/W tank. ;-)

Tags
tank