Old 04-21-2018, 03:00 PM   #1

2506S WIFI RANGER router location

Howdy

Does anyone know where the Wifi Ranger router is located on a 2018 Minilite 2506S? I know where the power switch is and the outside antenna but where is the router itself located?

Thanks

Jim S

Old 04-21-2018, 03:20 PM   #2

There is no separate router for the OEM version of Wi-Fi Ranger. All circuitry is contained in the antenna module on the roof.

Ken

rvee-nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 03:57 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvee-nut View Post
There is no separate router for the OEM version of Wi-Fi Ranger. All circuitry is contained in the antenna module on the roof.

Ken

Thanks Ken !

That explains why I couldnít find it. I was downloading new firmware to it after setup and the firmware download failed about halfway through. Now I cannot open the control panel to do any router configuration. I opened a ticket with the wifi ranger tech support guys so I will see what they say. I was hoping to find an ethernet connection on the router to plug in a cable but there is none.

It worked great before trying to do the firmware upgrade so I think it will be a pretty nice thing to have once I get it working again. Next time I wonít worry about firmware upgrades.

Jim S
Old 04-23-2018, 01:42 PM   #4

Quote:

Ken
Ken,

hmm... well that's kind of a bummer actually. I had watched a bunch of videos on it prior to getting my 2906 and thought I'd be able to connect my vzmifi to it via usb.

A side question regarding the wifi ranger...

What is the effective range on an OEM version? (before this post, I didn't even know there was an oem version) I watched videos on youtube where a guy said he was picking up wifi from 2 miles away! I was ecstatic to have that option in my 2906. I can barely pickup a few campers away... not to mention the camp wifi which is much further away. Can the antennae be upgraded to get better range?

Thanks,

James
2012 Ram 2500HD 6.7L Cummins
Equal-i-zer 4 Point Hitch
stormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 02:14 PM   #5

James - I haven't used mine extensively, but it's not effective beyond about 100 yards. Of course, there are a lot of variables that determine the range of Wi-Fi signals. The manufacturer makes several different commercial versions of Wi-Fi extenders, so look at the specs for more range. Most of them have the antenna on the roof and the extender/router located inside. I'm not an antenna expert, so I don't know what antenna upgrades are available.

Ken
Old 04-23-2018, 05:06 PM   #6

Quote:
James - I haven't used mine extensively, but it's not effective beyond about 100 yards. Of course, there are a lot of variables that determine the range of Wi-Fi signals. The manufacturer makes several different commercial versions of Wi-Fi extenders, so look at the specs for more range. Most of them have the antenna on the roof and the extender/router located inside. I'm not an antenna expert, so I don't know what antenna upgrades are available.

Ken
Ken,

That sounds about right. I'll see if I can contact the wifi ranger folks and see what other solutions/addons they may have for my particular installation. I know I blew away all my carry over verizon data this month as I was camping for a week and had no available wifi but my cell. The wifi ranger did well however for such things as having an appleTV and being able to connect your ipad/iphone to the same network and do the "airplay". So if you have movies downloaded on your ipad or view pictures it works quite well for that kind of thing to see it on your tv. It's essentially a central router and does that job quite well. I can see a network printer working well too. (I still do work on the road)

James
2012 Ram 2500HD 6.7L Cummins
Equal-i-zer 4 Point Hitch
stormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 07:39 PM   #7

Just to update this. The WIFI Ranger guys got back to me with instructions to do a factory reset, which fixed it ! Here is what to do: Manually Resetting WiFiRangers on 6.6.5 and later Firmware:

Unplug WiFiRanger from Power Source to Power Off (wait 5 seconds)
Power On (wait 2 minute 30 seconds)
Power Off (wait 5 seconds)
Power On (wait 3 minutes 30 seconds)
Power On (wait 3 minutes 30 seconds)
Power On (wait 3 minutes)

Now your WiFiRanger should broadcast the default SSID with default password. The defaults will appear similarly to Pvt.WiFiRanger_MODEL.XXYY with a password of changemenowXXYY (where XX and YY are the last 4 digits of your WiFiRanger ID#. This ID# can be found listed on a sticker on the bottom or side of your units).

Jim S.

Tags
cat, location