Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-04-2022, 11:21 AM   #1

2509s front window???

I currently have a 2016 23IKSS Hybrid. Looking to switch to a 2509s to ease 1 night stop and go traveling this summer. I have read posts about the front window chipping or cracking. Is this really a significant problem. If it is I will have to pass up the 2019 I have been looking at and wait for an older year with out the front window.
Also as we camp locally during the winter, has anyone put foam board insulation under the jackknife sofa to help keep the interior a little warmer?
jrctoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 03:15 PM   #2

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0297.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	340.1 KB
ID:	267372
I made this padded cover for front window and also insulated front storage compartment with 1” foam on floor . Then got a big, long body pillow to stuff in opening behind the jack knife sofa
Old 01-04-2022, 04:16 PM   #3

Golden Horizon RV makes a really nice cover for these windows. They have two locations in Calif and Nevada. They charge $269.00 and they do ship for DIY installations. They have pictures of the covers on their webpage. https://goldenhorizonrv.com/shop/
Lundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 08:41 PM   #4

Wow, Thanks for the good information. I went to my local dealer and spoke to one of the mechanic and was told they got a camper in with a chipped window and the had to wait 4 weeks to get a replacement. If I can make the deal for the trailer I found I will surely get the cover for the front window. Do you leave the cover on all the time? Does it withstand the weather or should I just use it when on the road? I will also mount the insulation board under the sofa.
jrctoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 08:55 PM   #5
Part-Time Campground Host

I've over 28,000 miles on our 2018. Our window has never been covered and have had no chips or breaks. It did leak a little, but some RV ProSeal cured that.
Equalizer Hitch w/4-Point Sway Control

Days camped since 2015(retirement): 1659
cboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 11:48 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundy View Post
Golden Horizon RV makes a really nice cover for these windows. They have two locations in Calif and Nevada. They charge $269.00 and they do ship for DIY installations. They have pictures of the covers on their webpage. https://goldenhorizonrv.com/shop/
I went to the Golden Horizon website and was unable to find covers for the Mini Lite. They show covers for Rockwood Ultra Lights, but not the Mini Lites. I emailed them a couple of months ago and had no response. Just sent them another. We'll see....
NevadaMiniLite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 02:01 PM   #7

Front Mini Lite winshield cover from Golden Horizon

Well not only did I email Golden Horizon today, but I left a VM as well. Martin promptly called me back and said he never received either of my 2 emails. So if anyone tried emailing them and not received a response that is why.
I explained what I was looking for, told him there is definitely a market out there for the MiniLite windshild cover, and sent him a couple of pics. He responded right away again to receivng my pics. I will keep you updated.
Old 01-22-2022, 05:15 PM   #8
Enjoying Life

I have had two trailers with the front window. In over 3 years have not had any chips or cracks.

2006 Durango HEMI

TeachTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 05:25 PM   #9

For those that choose not to add protection for the front window that’s surely your choice. In my case I am again planning a trip to Alaska and wouldn’t think of making the trip without having the window protection. Can you imagine just how a broken window would ruin the trip. And it’s not just for that trip but any trip. I don’t want a broken window.
Old 01-22-2022, 05:26 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeachTexas View Post
I have had two trailers with the front window. In over 3 years have not had any chips or cracks.
I haven't used my Mini Lite yet since I purchased at the end of the season 2021, but I do have a friend with a Rockwood GeoPro with a similar front window. He has had 2 rock strikes/chips leading to cracks the first year...
I would rather be safe than sorry when you are talking about a $1200 piece of glass...I am either going to go for the padded cover, or possibly a clear PPF (paint protection film) of about 8 ml. There is a guy on youtube with a 2109 Mini Lite (Garland Style) that had gotten a chip/crack and he went with the PPF and said he has had no problems since.
Old 01-23-2022, 12:02 PM   #11

Our Armada is 2 years old and the windshield is ruined, been hit twice with rocks. Maybe the good thing is the rocks hit the truck instead of the trailer.
I have a layer of glass protection film I put on, not sure how it would do with a rock, but better than nothing I think.
Old 01-23-2022, 12:48 PM   #12
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeachTexas View Post
Yeah, it never happens,...............................until it does.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 03:42 PM   #13
Enjoying Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
Yeah, it never happens,...............................until it does.

Quite true but that is what insurance is for. I probably have jinxed myself for the post.

2006 Durango HEMI

TeachTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 04:09 PM   #14

My concern

I tend to keep my trailers for a long time, mine concern is when FR does a redesign of these trailer (and they will) are we going to be able to get a replacement window if needed. When I started looking to buy a Rockwood Ultra Lite, the front caps were made entirely different, and that was only a few years ago.
Lundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 06:06 PM   #15

Picked up my window cover today from a local upholstery guy. I am very pleased with the results especially for the money spent! Best feature - less than a minute to put on and even less to take off!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	wndwcvr2.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	338.5 KB
ID:	268234   Click image for larger version

Name:	wndwcvr1.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	305.6 KB
ID:	268235  
Old 02-20-2022, 09:10 PM   #16

2509s front window???

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaMiniLite View Post
Picked up my window cover today from a local upholstery guy. I am very pleased with the results especially for the money spent! Best feature - less than a minute to put on and even less to take off!

Truly professional looking job. Is that your DIY, or a template that anyone could utilize?
Well, going back thru the thread, was this from the guy Martin from Golden Horizons?
Larry Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 10:16 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Mac View Post
Truly professional looking job. Is that your DIY, or a template that anyone could utilize?
Well, going back thru the thread, was this from the guy Martin from Golden Horizons?
The cover was from a local guy that does auto and marine upholstery out of his garage. He charged me $150 installed. He also made one for a neighbor that had just bought a new Mini Lite 2502 (same window), and another neighbor with a Geo Pro (smaller window). He was open to dealing through the mail with others that may be interested, although you would have to do the install yourself, obviously. And I would imagine since there would be no install the price could be even cheaper. If you are interested in speaking with him, just let me know.
Old 02-21-2022, 11:53 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaMiniLite View Post
The cover was from a local guy that does auto and marine upholstery out of his garage. He charged me $150 installed. He also made one for a neighbor that had just bought a new Mini Lite 2502 (same window), and another neighbor with a Geo Pro (smaller window). He was open to dealing through the mail with others that may be interested, although you would have to do the install yourself, obviously. And I would imagine since there would be no install the price could be even cheaper. If you are interested in speaking with him, just let me know.
Does it use the 3m snads to hold it on?
Alloutdrs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 01:49 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alloutdrs1 View Post
Does it use the 3m snads to hold it on?
I personally don't trust any stick on type snaps as IMO they are bound to eventually fail with all of the pulling on the snaps to remove a cover. Instead, I went with a marine twist lock that is screwed and epoxied. My upholstery guy does a a lot of marine canvas and that is what he almost exclusiively uses. I had had those type of fasteners on boats that I had and never had one fail, so I deferred to his professional opinion. But I am sure you could choose whatever type of fastener you were comfortable with. YMMV
Old 06-10-2022, 01:46 PM   #20

MiniLite Front Window

Found a guy from a older post that used 1/16 inch Lexcan I ordered a sheet from Amazon and the tape he used cut it and put it up today. I think it will protect I was caught in a bad storm in S AL and something hit my window crosswise and I got a hairline crack across the top.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	949D9D54-4069-4F37-ABCF-FEF32D2018AD.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	302.8 KB
ID:	274670  
Campr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2509s, window