Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2022, 08:35 AM   #1
traveler

2509s Mini lite

We are in the process of down sizing to a 2509s from a 31ft 5th wheel. A few questions that keep popping up are *where have owners chosen to store plates, mugs etc. *As seniors I'm wondering how easy or hard it is to get out of the bed with so little space at bedside. *It seems it could be difficult to access the cupboards on each side of the bed being so deep, have owners figured out a safe and easy way to get in there. *And finally where is your kitchen waste container.
Thanks for helping us out.

"We travel initially to lose ourselves; and we travel, next to find ourselves. And we travel, in essence, to become young fools again- to slow time down and get taken in, and fall in love once more."
Pico Iyer
reinreb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 09:59 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by reinreb View Post
We are in the process of down sizing to a 2509s from a 31ft 5th wheel. A few questions that keep popping up are *where have owners chosen to store plates, mugs etc. *As seniors I'm wondering how easy or hard it is to get out of the bed with so little space at bedside. *It seems it could be difficult to access the cupboards on each side of the bed being so deep, have owners figured out a safe and easy way to get in there. *And finally where is your kitchen waste container.

Thanks for helping us out.
We have a 2507S which has the same kitchen/dinette/bed layout. Ours doesn't have the bunks and has a lot more storage, so I can't answer your question about where to put things.

Regarding the bed, it requires a bit of a climb. DW and I are retirees and still mobile. She's short, though, and sometimes depends on the folding step we store in a closet. After a 12-week trip she adapted her technique for crawling in without it.

If you're looking at this with concerns about your ability to get in the bed, consider how it might get harder as age has further effects on mobility.

Some friends really liked ours but long-term mobility limits due to injury meant the Murphy bed was a non-starter. They ended up with a walk-around queen bed in an SOB trailer.

As far as the waste can is concerned, we have a Rubbermaid rectangular 2 gallon waste can. We use plastic grocery bags as trash bags. It sits on the counter in the corner behind the stove, along the wall of the refrigerator. It's not elegant but it's convenient during food prep and kitchen cleanup. Being small necessitates frequent emptying, so it's not unpleasant.

When cooking with the indoor stove (a rare event) we put it on the floor near the dinette, but that would be in front of your pantry door. Our pantry opens differently, so it's not a problem butt is not located conveniently.

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 03:41 PM   #3

We store plates, mugs, etc. in the cabinets above the dinette. Honestly kind of a pain but the 2509s is not known for it's storage. The side wardrobes aren't the easiest to access, but much easier when the bed is up vs. down. I usually reach really far or sometimes put a knee on the couch and reach into the cabinet.

The large cabinet next to the dinnette can also be used as a wardrobe if you don't need it for other things.

We use standard size kitchen waste bin and it's usually either by the front door under the 2 drawers, or under the flip up counter extension.

Adrien
adrienbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 09:36 PM   #4

We have our plates in the cabinet behind the slide just before the bathroom door. Towels and some board games above the dinette. Our trash can goes under the counter extension that stays up while we are camping.

I'm 40, so far from a senior, but I'm not very tall. I've always just gotten in the bed from the end and crawled up.

Why a 2509? If you don't need the bunks I'd look at a 2507 for the better couples floor plan, or a 2511/12 and not do the Murphy? It will still be a dramatic downsize. I ask this because I watched my in-laws buy a bunk house thinking the whole family/grand kids would come along. That happened once, and we were all so cramped that it didn't happen again. They quickly traded that camper in for one that fit what THEY wanted and used it much more.
nights camped 2019: 42. Miles towed: 4500.
2020: 35 2400
pilotpip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2022, 11:23 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by reinreb View Post
. *As seniors I'm wondering how easy or hard it is to get out of the bed with so little space at bedside. * .
My main concern as another senior couple would be getting in and out of the bed. Just looked at the 360 tour online and it looks like you'd have to scoot to the bottom of the bed to get out. Our 'scooting' days are behind us.
Most (but not all) of those Rockwoods appear to have a long cabinet along both sides of the bed (murphy or regular) that would make getting out difficult.
Old 08-28-2022, 11:19 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
... Most (but not all) of those Rockwoods appear to have a long cabinet along both sides of the bed (murphy or regular) that would make getting out difficult.
Yes. It's how they create the pass-through storage under the bed, the disadvantage being what you described.

Old 09-08-2022, 11:00 PM   #7

18 mini lite 2509s bathroom lights don’t work

The bathroom lights worked before we picked up our new to us used camper but when we got it home they stopped. Fuses and breaker have been checked and I even pulled out the wiring from the walls to check it and it was fine and all intact. The fan doesn’t work and the lights don’t power on. I tested the lights individually on its own external power source to see if the LED lights worked and sure enough they do. On my circuit board when I pull a fuse in that section the light doesn’t come on like the rest of the ones. Well that actually stopped for all of them now. None of the lights come on indicating the fuse doesn’t work anymore. I even tried to replace the fuse for the bathroom but nothing. Needless to say I have worked on this for weeks now and have made no progress. However I watched video on YT and the mentioned that there may be mini breakers and in-line fuses somewhere. Does any one know where those are or the electrical schematics are ?
Rsmith816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 12:08 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsmith816 View Post
However I watched video on YT and the mentioned that there may be mini breakers and in-line fuses somewhere. Does any one know where those are or the electrical schematics are ?
If you are referring to the 12v resettable circuit breakers, they are usually tucked along the A-frame, near the battery. Should have it tiny black reset button.
No such thing as electrical schematics for these trailers.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 05:12 AM   #9

I meant wiring schematics.

And what exactly does that button do? Because like I said my fuse panel inside no longer glows red lights when I pull fuses as an indicator that the fuse is no longer there. It did at first but now all of a sudden it doesn’t
Rsmith816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 05:22 AM   #10
Site Team

Neither wiring schematics or electrical schematics are available. During the factory builds, the workers just run the wires as they seem fit.
Is this your first RV?
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 07:39 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Neither wiring schematics or electrical schematics are available. During the factory builds, the workers just run the wires as they seem fit.
Is this your first RV?
I'm not a trailer expert but this type of statement is not really accurate. There is no way any company can build more than 2 of something with out blue prints, schematics, plumbing, testing,....... I know its common to think that the people building the trailer just make up stuff as they go along.

I've never been to the factory but have seen some of the videos of the workers running around. But if you notice everything is done basically the same going down the line.

These are not for the 2509 in question, but might help. Someone had posted these to either my MiniLite FB group or on a thread here. I've also been able to get blueprints for the construction of the side walls for my SuperLite when I was doing a project. Since the walls are laminated they have no wires or pipes in them. So everything has to run under the trailer, or through the roof.

Jim M.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2516_120v_schematic.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	278964   Click image for larger version

Name:	mini_lite_12v_tongue_schematic.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	278965  
jimmarako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 12:17 PM   #12

@jimmarako While accurate to say schematics exist, they are not generally available to customers. Some customer here or there (me included) may be lucky enough to get a roof diagram (I did) or wiring diagram on special request, but that's a rare exception and it's only an excerpt.

Tags
2509s, lite, mini lite