Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2023, 06:53 PM   #21
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamManMN View Post
Yes, when ford advertises big towing numbers for the F150, yours is the truck they are talking about. It's also the truck RV salesmen are talking about when they claim something is "1/2 ton towable". But most 1/2 tons have payloads in the 1400 to 1700 so others should beware these claims.
Exactly.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Forest River Forums mobile app
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 09:12 PM   #22

We love our 2511 with the theater recliners in place of dinette. For 2 it's perfect for us. Pulling with 2013 F150 STX 5.0 tow package. Tows great with the fastway WDH. Definitely feel there's a little extra weight over the 2109 in steep grades. Overall, tracks great and not bothered much by wind and demi's. Would love a 3/4 with a slightly larger engine but not needed.
Freetyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 09:18 PM   #23

F-150 EB hauls!

We have a Rockwood Mini-Lite 2506s.

It weighs about 6500 to 6800 pounds when loaded. Not sure how that compares with your trailer. I pull in the Rocky Mountains of Colorado mostly. Absolutely zero issues. Plenty of power and easy to control on curvy mountain roads as well as interstate.

We were stuck behind a 20 mph semi going up Vail Pass. I had an opportunity to pass and quickly accelerated from 20 mph to 65-70 mph going up a steep grade. Got around the semi very quickly without being “that” guy in the passing lane holding up traffic.

Happy Trails!

Jeff
jlh1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 12:28 AM   #24

I've got the Chevy version of your half-ton, a 2016 short box crew cab with the "NHT" Max Trailering option, which brings the payload right around 2000 and a tow rating of 10,800 if I remember right. It was a unicorn of a truck to find, local dealer happened to have one on their lot. There was only one other I could find in all of Northern California back then with the 3.73 gearing.
Been towing a 2405S since new with it, into the Sierras, etc. with no issues at all with it. A longer wheelbase would of course be nice but it handles beautifully and I often forget its back there.
I'm one who doesn't mind spending more to get the right tool the first time but I have ZERO regrets about buying a half-ton, especially since its a daily driver. I've spent more than enough time behind the wheel of 3/4 and 1 ton trucks. I am insanely happy with this half-ton and won't be buying a trailer it can't handle.

Getting landscape rock/roadbase in the bed a few times/year I do need to make multiple trips due to payload, that's been the only shortfall but the rest of the year makes up for that!
Baumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 09:13 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfingDave View Post
Took off last November traveling every 3-7 days and not problems in a new one. Loaded trailer is at my limits for axle weights but I do have 1855 cargo capacity and the 7000 lb truck limits.

Only been at a 2400 foot level mountain but fairly steep up and down, just kept it slow and all was fine.

Never a push by semi trucks but I just go 55 in the left lane. It will kick up to 70 without a problem when coming onto the freeways.

Never towed another trailer but so far the torsion axles seem fine. Have it a couple of pot holes. Cringed when it happened. Learned a long time ago to not deviate once they are unavoidable.

I decided on the 2511S because it seemed more open. Only one closet at the headboard, you do not feel like you are laying down in a tunnel. It is a camp queen, not full size. I keep my bathroom and bedroom doors open for more openness. It will fit a small table in the center if needed. I had mine there for a while before moving it to the arm rests of the second recliner.

Wish I had more counter space but even the next size up pretty much has the same counter space.

Even though you are only in it a few minutes a day I like the larger shower. An extra step in dumping since you have two tanks but twice the capacity too. Valves are close enough so you do not have to move the camper. I think I fill my sink tank up much faster than the shower. Single guy so I can go 14 days without dumping when I was at one spot all last summer.
My concern here is why would you choose to drive in the left lane when it's illegal everywhere? The left lane is only for passing and your setting yourself up for a ticket.
As for the P/U a 1/2 ton will probably be fine but for me a 3/4 ton would be better.
Another thing about power. Everyone that has a gaser and swears by it, have no idea how much nicer and easier a diesel pulls.
I'm not a newbie here and have RV'ed since 1961 and crossed the US many times along with 7 provinces. I'm 85 now and had to give it all up. This is our 2nd Winter in NE Iowa after 10 Winters on the coast of Texas.
Old 04-04-2023, 09:29 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER17453361 View Post
My concern here is why would you choose to drive in the left lane when it's illegal everywhere? The left lane is only for passing and your setting yourself up for a ticket.
As for the P/U a 1/2 ton will probably be fine but for me a 3/4 ton would be better.
Another thing about power. Everyone that has a gaser and swears by it, have no idea how much nicer and easier a diesel pulls.
I'm not a newbie here and have RV'ed since 1961 and crossed the US many times along with 7 provinces. I'm 85 now and had to give it all up. This is our 2nd Winter in NE Iowa after 10 Winters on the coast of Texas.
I don't, I live in the right lane. That was just a miss type, thinking one thing and typing another. Someone probably would have shot me by now if I was doing that.

Truck pulls it fine, that is why I bought a smaller camper. Had no idea I was buying a camper when I got the truck. I am within limits and verified by CAT Scales. I have the get up and go when I have needed it.

Why trade in my truck that I have got looking how I like it and lose $40,000 on the exchange when everything feels ok? Only mechanical change has been wheel spacers, other than that everything is appearance. Top of the line spacers too, not cheap knockoffs. And just enough to bring the tires out a little bit.
Husky CenterLine WDH
GolfingDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 10:27 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfingDave View Post
I don't, I live in the right lane. That was just a miss type, thinking one thing and typing another. Someone probably would have shot me by now if I was doing that.

Truck pulls it fine, that is why I bought a smaller camper. Had no idea I was buying a camper when I got the truck. I am within limits and verified by CAT Scales. I have the get up and go when I have needed it.

Why trade in my truck that I have got looking how I like it and lose $40,000 on the exchange when everything feels ok? Only mechanical change has been wheel spacers, other than that everything is appearance. Top of the line spacers too, not cheap knockoffs. And just enough to bring the tires out a little bit.
Sorry about that and can see how that happens. Also surprised no one called you on it. I tend to forget to proofread too. I pass way to many vehicles on the right and it's kind of a pet peeve of mine. I've had a couple of 40 foot Cedar Creek's and love them with no serious problems. With something that big and grossing almost 25,000 pounds it sure is nice to have a diesel and running 1700 RPM uphill and listening to the gassers passing me uphill with their engines screaming with a high RPM. I'm thinking about the long steep hills of the Flinthills in Kansas. Most hills it stays in high gear.
Old 04-04-2023, 12:26 PM   #28

Quote:
The diesel vs. gas brouhaha is as old as the first pickup truck ever built with a diesel engine. It can't be denied that a diesel will pull more effortlessly than a gas engine. It's foolish to claim otherwise. However, the drawbacks to either one are numerous and real. Usage and need are the real baselines but emotion and pride are often criteria that dictate the decision. We pull with a 3/4 ton gas and get along splendidly.

Would a diesel be nice? Hell yeah! But at what cost? We all are aware of the monetary differences so there is no need to waste time rehashing that. Our reason for having the gas is initial cost, maintenance costs and repair costs. We put a total of 4,000 to 5,000 miles a year on our truck. All it does is pull the 5th wheel and a small amount of towing besides the camper. That means our truck is setting idle for much of the year. Having used diesel engines all my adult life in reference to making my living I'm acutely aware of the benefits but I also know a diesel engine does not like setting without being used.

I regeared my gas truck to a 4.56 ratio and while it will never pull like a diesel the 4.56 made the gas engine pull like a bear compared to the 3.73. Since only around 3%-5% of our yearly mileage is empty not towing fuel mileage while empty is not a concern and our towing mileage actually gained a couple of MPG with the lower gearing. Since our yearly mileage is low the difference in cost per gallon in regards to diesel vs. gasoline makes up for the reduction in fuel mileage of the gas engine.

I won't go on because it's all been said before but wanting and needing are two different things. We could afford the total cost of a diesel tow vehicle but it makes little to no sense to spend the money. Some folks need a diesel and for them there is no substitute and worth every penny. I found them to be, in our situation, a waste of fairly large amounts of money that could be enjoyed in another way.
Rockwood Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 01:06 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwood Travelers View Post
The diesel vs. gas brouhaha is as old as the first pickup truck ever built with a diesel engine. It can't be denied that a diesel will pull more effortlessly than a gas engine. It's foolish to claim otherwise. However, the drawbacks to either one are numerous and real. Usage and need are the real baselines but emotion and pride are often criteria that dictate the decision. We pull with a 3/4 ton gas and get along splendidly.

Would a diesel be nice? Hell yeah! But at what cost? We all are aware of the monetary differences so there is no need to waste time rehashing that. Our reason for having the gas is initial cost, maintenance costs and repair costs. We put a total of 4,000 to 5,000 miles a year on our truck. All it does is pull the 5th wheel and a small amount of towing besides the camper. That means our truck is setting idle for much of the year. Having used diesel engines all my adult life in reference to making my living I'm acutely aware of the benefits but I also know a diesel engine does not like setting without being used.

I regeared my gas truck to a 4.56 ratio and while it will never pull like a diesel the 4.56 made the gas engine pull like a bear compared to the 3.73. Since only around 3%-5% of our yearly mileage is empty not towing fuel mileage while empty is not a concern and our towing mileage actually gained a couple of MPG with the lower gearing. Since our yearly mileage is low the difference in cost per gallon in regards to diesel vs. gasoline makes up for the reduction in fuel mileage of the gas engine.

I won't go on because it's all been said before but wanting and needing are two different things. We could afford the total cost of a diesel tow vehicle but it makes little to no sense to spend the money. Some folks need a diesel and for them there is no substitute and worth every penny. I found them to be, in our situation, a waste of fairly large amounts of money that could be enjoyed in another way.
You must be talking much smaller rigs and not 40 foot RV's like we had. If you had a 100 40 footers you might find 2 that were gassers. A diesel will get better mileage too. As far as maintenance costs and repair costs I didn't have anything major and oil changes were only a little more so no big deal. Service regular and they run forever. I say do what you want but I prefer being in a Cadillac then a Volkswagen Bug. And yes I have my share of OTR miles and on a farm tractor in my 85 years. Once you drive a diesel you'll never go back to gas.
Old 04-04-2023, 07:12 PM   #30

2511S vs 2205S Towing with 1/2 Ton

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoss10 View Post
We are seriously considering either of these trailers We do a fair bit of traveling with the trailers, towing with our 2018 F150 EB. The truck is a Heavy Duty with a 2400 payload so hitch weight is not a concern. I was wondering how people hauling the 2511S with a half ton felt it handled. I think the 2205 will tow very well with most half tons?

We were sold on the 2205, but I'm 6'4" but the bigger bathroom in the 2511 looks appealing. Plus, at least up here in Canada, these two trailers are almost the same price, and it seems you get a lot more for the money with the larger unit

Thanks for the help

I have a 2022 Mini Lite 2511s. First if all, we love it. Great rv. Only problem we have had is the bracing on the 12v fridge. It was fixed under warranty.

We pull with a 2020 Ford Expedition with the twin turbo 3.5 and max towing package. Maximum towing is about 9500lb. The 2511s is under 6,000lb. We have driven in the hills of North Central Pennsylvania. We got off the highway and hit all those crazy, winding and steep roads. And to Oklahoma and back. Plus New Jersey and other local places.

We have had no problems at all with pulling or sway. Not sure I would go the Rockies, but short of that in pretty confident of its abilities. I have a heavy duty tow hitch with sway bars. I stay under 65. I’ll get 8-12 mpg in general. I little better in the truly flat highways in the Midwest. When the torque from the turbos kick in it moves pretty fast.

Great storage in the 2511s. That bedroom wardrobe slide out, drawers in the bed and big drawer in the kitchen wall are great!

So far so good! Good luck!
jsk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 10:00 PM   #31

Quote:
You must be talking much smaller rigs and not 40 foot RV's like we had. If you had a 100 40 footers you might find 2 that were gassers. A diesel will get better mileage too. As far as maintenance costs and repair costs I didn't have anything major and oil changes were only a little more so no big deal. Service regular and they run forever. I say do what you want but I prefer being in a Cadillac then a Volkswagen Bug. And yes I have my share of OTR miles and on a farm tractor in my 85 years. Once you drive a diesel you'll never go back to gas.
Ours isn't quite a "40 footer" but it's close enough.

I knew it would come down to this. It always does. I personally have better places for my money that to put out $10,000.00 more in purchase price then pay a $1.00 a gallon more, give or take, for fuel and if a repair is needed (and they always are, I know from experience) those inevitable repairs are significantly more expensive. Just ask me how I know.

I know what I'm talking about because it's a mandatory part of my business that I have to keep close track and has been all my life involving both in production grain farming and tractor trailer road vehicles. I've worn out more diesel engines than I care to recall. A unit that is used 5,000 miles or less on a yearly basis, as our is, clearly means that a diesel is an extravagance that I can live quite nicely without in lieu of something I really need. I've spent more than my share of time in both so the "never go back" in a myth to me personally until I have a distinct and undisputable need which takes us back the the "need vs. want". Want always costs more money to get the same result. Oh, and I drive a Lexus not an overpriced tinny Cadillac! LOL!!
Old 04-05-2023, 05:52 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwood Travelers View Post
Ours isn't quite a "40 footer" but it's close enough.

I knew it would come down to this. It always does. I personally have better places for my money that to put out $10,000.00 more in purchase price then pay a $1.00 a gallon more, give or take, for fuel and if a repair is needed (and they always are, I know from experience) those inevitable repairs are significantly more expensive. Just ask me how I know.

I know what I'm talking about because it's a mandatory part of my business that I have to keep close track and has been all my life involving both in production grain farming and tractor trailer road vehicles. I've worn out more diesel engines than I care to recall. A unit that is used 5,000 miles or less on a yearly basis, as our is, clearly means that a diesel is an extravagance that I can live quite nicely without in lieu of something I really need. I've spent more than my share of time in both so the "never go back" in a myth to me personally until I have a distinct and undisputable need which takes us back the the "need vs. want". Want always costs more money to get the same result. Oh, and I drive a Lexus not an overpriced tinny Cadillac! LOL!!

I'm sorry Rockwood Travelers if I stepped on your toes but I was speaking for the majority of the RV'ers in the 20,000 pound gross class. You won't find many gassers there and if you do that's fine and your choice. No big deal. True you're probably better off with the short runs in the field, to the grainery or Ethanol plant in beautiful flat lands of Illinois. You have to remember diesels are better for long runs and don't do well for short runs. Also if you recall back in the old days diesel was cheaper than gas as it should be today. It's cheaper to produce diesel than gas. Wonder what happened? Oh and I've sold everything due to health and drive a Grand Cherokee Jeep and Buick Enclave. Have a great summer and enjoy RVing. Head for the mountains or where ever. There is so much to see and I've crisscrossed it and Canada many times over the last 60+ years.
Old 04-05-2023, 07:06 AM   #33

2511S vs 2205S Towing with 1/2 Ton is the title and he mentioned a specific truck in the post. Fully capable of handling either camper.

How do do diesel trucks and forty foot plus trailers come into the equation?

Sorry I typed "left" instead of right.
Husky CenterLine WDH
GolfingDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 09:49 AM   #34

Quote:
I'm sorry Rockwood Travelers if I stepped on your toes but I was speaking for the majority of the RV'ers in the 20,000 pound gross class. You won't find many gassers there and if you do that's fine and your choice. No big deal. True you're probably better off with the short runs in the field, to the grainery or Ethanol plant in beautiful flat lands of Illinois. You have to remember diesels are better for long runs and don't do well for short runs. Also if you recall back in the old days diesel was cheaper than gas as it should be today. It's cheaper to produce diesel than gas. Wonder what happened? Oh and I've sold everything due to health and drive a Grand Cherokee Jeep and Buick Enclave. Have a great summer and enjoy RVing. Head for the mountains or where ever. There is so much to see and I've crisscrossed it and Canada many times over the last 60+ years.
No toe pain here but I do know what I'm talking about. When I really need a diesel, regardless of the category of implementation, I gladly own them but when they are an unnecessary profligacy that mostly serves to stroke my ego regarding necessity I choose to put the added expense to better use or in my pocket.

When we purchased our larger 5th wheel (went from a 28' to a 38') we were skeptical as to whether our gasoline powered unit that we purchased 2 years prior to going to the bigger 5th wheel would be sufficient. We were pleased that it was up to the task even traversing the Great Smokey Mountains through Tennessee on our way to and from The Sunshine State. The money we spent on regearing to a 4:56 ratio is the best money ($2,100.00) we've ever spent in pursuit of the enhancement of the performance of a tow vehicle. It made our meek little "gasser" a bit of beast. Not a diesel kind of beast, mind you, but a beast in comparison, nonetheless.
Old 04-07-2023, 06:19 AM   #35

We actually purchased a Flagstaff FRB/Rockwood 2205S THe living space is about the same as with the 2511 with a much smaller bathroom.

I always felt the 2205S were overpriced (at least here in Ontario), compared to the various 25 models, probably due to their popularity. We found a good price on one and decided we were not getting any younger so a shorter trailer might be a good idea.
hoss10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing