Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2015, 02:41 PM   #21
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyabear View Post
After towing with a 2500, you will never be happy with a 1500 anything. Borrow a 1500 from a friend and give it a try before you spend your money.
I'll let you use my 1/2 ton if you're in nw Louisiana. To try it out.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 02:45 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobo View Post
I have a 2015 Rookwood 8311 SS and currently towing it with a 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins. I am needing to by a new truck and wondering if I can go to a half ton truck. Have looking at the dodge ram half tons but am concerned that it is to small for my TT.
How many miles do you tow compared to not tow with your rig? Why did you choose a diesel when you bought the 2006? How compfortable are you behind the wheel? just in my experiance if you tow a large portion of your miles and are a nervous driver a half ton may not be a great choice. If you tow 8 times a year and use it as a daily the other 92%, going big may not be needed either.

Will a half ton haul it, think everything will point to yes with the right equipped halftonand many out there prove they can! Think the advice on the fords is sound. There are some nice Chev truck combinations out there in the 1500 series that gives you solid payload numbers. I am a dodge guy, there are 1500 that will tow and the Hemi engine is great but their payloads are soft compared to the options of the other two. Know nothing on the other brands and will not comment on them bad or good, just have no experiance.
Old 03-04-2015, 02:51 PM   #23

OldCoot, you got that right!
Scott619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 03:56 PM   #24

I pull Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604ws (loaded) with a Tundra 5.7 4wd and it does great. Thinking about up grading to a Signature ultra lite 4325ss (7300 lbs). Thats pushing it maybe.
Mr. Mike 45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 04:01 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBS View Post
Only cause we have this conversation weekly.
Along with.
Bike racks.
Double towing.
Overweight.

TURBS
Dont forgot Old Coot shipping Poles
Old 03-04-2015, 04:03 PM   #26
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountndream View Post
Dont forgot Old Coot shipping Poles
And that to!

TURBS
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 04:07 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mike 45 View Post
I pull Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604ws (loaded) with a Tundra 5.7 4wd and it does great. Thinking about up grading to a Signature ultra lite 4325ss (7300 lbs). Thats pushing it maybe.
Go with the 4325ss. If the Tundra won't pull it you can just upgrade to an Ecoboost.

I'm just kidding- couldn't resist.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 04:45 PM   #28

Send a message via ICQ to Cover Dog
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Cuz us po' folks cain't afford new BIG truks an' hav' ter do wit what we got!
OC, I was told by someone (but I can't say who) that if I had your money I could burn mine !

NRA Endowment Life Member, FMCA #455593, WIT #170814 & Mid-Ohio Winnies
Cover Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 04:47 PM   #29
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cover Dog View Post
OC, I was told by someone (but I can't say who) that if I had your money I could burn mine !
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 10:20 PM   #30
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
Go with the 4325ss. If the Tundra won't pull it you can just upgrade to an Ecoboost.

I'm just kidding- couldn't resist.
Ha. Good one.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 10:48 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cover Dog View Post
That's cause he got rich off them thar awning poles.

OP as stated above. The correctly equipped half ton can tow that trailer, the truck us getting g the right truck. To know that you need to know the real world numbers on your trailer. When shopping, pay attention to the tire loading sticker on the actual truck (not computer or stated) before you buy so you don't get a truck you think is properly equipped but really isn't.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 08:41 AM   #32

Most of you don't know me, as I recently joined the boards having purchased a 2304s Ultralite. I still needed to purchase the TV to pull her.

I found what I wanted yesterday.

I decided on gas as the vehicle will still be used for daily short-trip drives and only occasionally for towing. When I retire (in about 7-10 years) I'll probably go diesel. For now, a gasser is the better choice.

The 2304s weighs 4660 lbs empty and dry. For weight budgeting purposes, I figured I will be pulling 6000 lbs behind me. I know there are 1/2 tons that will pull that load easily, but there was another consideration.

Knowing that my wife wants to drive the rig by herself on trips from Michigan to Virginia got me leaning towards the 3/4T, for drivability reasons. I thought the heavier-duty everything (frame, suspension, axle, cooling systems, payload) fit the bill for what is primarily a towing vehicle.

I located a 2004 Ram 2500 that had just 63,000 CARFAX verified miles yesterday. Asking price was a wishful $15.5K. She needed new tires, as I'm pretty certain I was looking at the original OEM's. There was some tread left, but the side-walls were beginning to crack and peel. The rust on the car had just begun to break paint in a few places, but for a Michigan truck at this age and price-point...some of that has to be expected. I negotiated the price down to a reasonable $13K and bought the truck.

The 5.7L Hemi will pull the trailer with a yawn, but will suck gas. We'll probably average 60-80 driven miles a week in short trips. I'll take her out on a longer drives occasionally to stretch her legs and breath, but this truck will live a pretty sedentary life.

I'm pretty satisfied with the package. It's an older, lightly used heavy-duty truck pulling a moderate weight trailer. A Blue-ox weight distribution hitch came with the camper and will keep the coupling between the two nice and tight.

This probably belongs in the towing section, but as my story was fresh and my decisions recent...I thought I'd share them here.

Chris
chriszke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 08:49 AM   #33
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by asquared View Post
...When shopping, pay attention to the tire loading sticker on the actual truck (not computer or stated) before you buy so you don't get a truck you think is properly equipped but really isn't.
Factory tire loading stickers are misleading as they usually list P rated tires and NOT LR D or LR E.
Old 03-05-2015, 12:34 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriszke View Post
Most of you don't know me, as I recently joined the boards having purchased a 2304s Ultralite. I still needed to purchase the TV to pull her.

I found what I wanted yesterday.

I decided on gas as the vehicle will still be used for daily short-trip drives and only occasionally for towing. When I retire (in about 7-10 years) I'll probably go diesel. For now, a gasser is the better choice.

The 2304s weighs 4660 lbs empty and dry. For weight budgeting purposes, I figured I will be pulling 6000 lbs behind me. I know there are 1/2 tons that will pull that load easily, but there was another consideration.

Knowing that my wife wants to drive the rig by herself on trips from Michigan to Virginia got me leaning towards the 3/4T, for drivability reasons. I thought the heavier-duty everything (frame, suspension, axle, cooling systems, payload) fit the bill for what is primarily a towing vehicle.

I located a 2004 Ram 2500 that had just 63,000 CARFAX verified miles yesterday. Asking price was a wishful $15.5K. She needed new tires, as I'm pretty certain I was looking at the original OEM's. There was some tread left, but the side-walls were beginning to crack and peel. The rust on the car had just begun to break paint in a few places, but for a Michigan truck at this age and price-point...some of that has to be expected. I negotiated the price down to a reasonable $13K and bought the truck.

The 5.7L Hemi will pull the trailer with a yawn, but will suck gas. We'll probably average 60-80 driven miles a week in short trips. I'll take her out on a longer drives occasionally to stretch her legs and breath, but this truck will live a pretty sedentary life.

I'm pretty satisfied with the package. It's an older, lightly used heavy-duty truck pulling a moderate weight trailer. A Blue-ox weight distribution hitch came with the camper and will keep the coupling between the two nice and tight.

This probably belongs in the towing section, but as my story was fresh and my decisions recent...I thought I'd share them here.

Chris
That is the right way to go. Buy what you are comfortable with, whatever it is.
Scott619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 01:17 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott619 View Post
That is the right way to go. Buy what you are comfortable with, whatever it is.
I think I made two reasonable compromises.

1) I would have preferred a diesel, but with the number of short trips this car will make in-between towing trips...the diesel wouldn't be played to it's strength (long-range highway miles). So gasoline it had to be. That's just fine. Both engines can pull this moderate load easily

2) The primary function of this vehicle is safe and comfortable towing...when it was called upon to tow. Thus, the Ram 2500. We had a modest budget (no more than $15,000). At that point, I was looking at vehicles with 10+ years on them. Some rust was inevitable. To have found a gently used, low mileage vehicle with very mild corrosion was a score. Carfax verified what the 2nd owner had said to be true and turned up no red flags. Bam.
chriszke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 01:28 PM   #36

Quote:
Cuz us po' folks cain't afford new BIG truks an' hav' ter do wit what we got!
SO very true
PhoneDude 8289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 01:38 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriszke View Post
I think I made two reasonable compromises.

1) I would have preferred a diesel, but with the number of short trips this car will make in-between towing trips...the diesel wouldn't be played to it's strength (long-range highway miles). So gasoline it had to be. That's just fine. Both engines can pull this moderate load easily

2) The primary function of this vehicle is safe and comfortable towing...when it was called upon to tow. Thus, the Ram 2500. We had a modest budget (no more than $15,000). At that point, I was looking at vehicles with 10+ years on them. Some rust was inevitable. To have found a gently used, low mileage vehicle with very mild corrosion was a score. Carfax verified what the 2nd owner had said to be true and turned up no red flags. Bam.

AGAIN, well thought out and good choice.
Days camped 2015=42 2014=48 2013=41 2012=47 2011=18
dannyabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 01:39 PM   #38

I think bigger is better.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 02:58 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBS View Post
Only cause we have this conversation weekly.
Along with.
Bike racks.
Double towing.
Overweight.

TURBS
I think slide toppers are in there somewhere too! Nice when folks can express their own knowledge and opinions without being attacked and told they are wrong by someone who is ALWAYS right!
Fivealive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 09:04 PM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Factory tire loading stickers are misleading as they usually list P rated tires and NOT LR D or LR E.
I was referring more to payload so they don't get a truck with a small payload. I know really you determine payload by weighing the truck and subtracting from gvwr but this is the poor man's version when you can't get to a scale (ie new truck sitting on dealer lot).
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote