Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2010, 05:44 PM   #1

7,500 mile trip report, 8285ws

JUST PUT OUR NEw ROCKWOOD 8285WS into storage after a four month 7500 miles of towing trip.
Picked the unit up in June and hit the road to visit the kids spread all over the country.
The reason for this posting is to let you know how satisfied we are with the unit and Forest River's response to the few problems we had. We have owned units that cost way more...and spent much of their early life back at the factory.
Had a problem with the Sidewinder Hitch and the gas regulator. Contacted "Doug" at Rockwood. he called ahead to our destination and set up with two different dealers to fix our problems. At each dealer,they took us right in and fixed the problem...hitch at one ,regulator at the other. Back on the road in less then 3 hours.

My hats off to this company.
Sagebrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 06:50 PM   #2

Glad you are having good luck out of your 5er. We have been happy with ours so far also. What kind of problem did you have with your hitch? I have the same one on mine and haven't heard of anyone having any issues with them.
phoneman06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 06:59 AM   #3

Thats great especially the part about Forest Rivers help. We also have had very good luck with our Rockwood 2603, my husband works construction and since 2005 has taken the camper to the west and east coasts and numerous places in between on jobs with hardly a problem, not counting numerous small vacations around the state of Missouri and Arkansas. Up to this point we couldn't be more pleased with our Rockwood.
6.4L Diesel 3:55
2018 Flagstaff 25FKS
MissouriCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 08:36 AM   #4

The "Hitch problem"....apparently, when they built the hitch at the Reece factory...they failed to lubricate the wear pad and over torqued it at 150 lbs instead of 80 lbs........so after a couple of trips,it started squealing. Loud, grinding,screeching squeals. You get the picture.
The repair was relatively easy. Replace the wear pad,lubricate, and torque to the proper setting. All good.
Old 09-26-2010, 08:05 PM   #5

Do you know what kind of lube they used? I was just looking at mine and it doesn't look like it has been lubricated either.
phoneman06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 06:36 PM   #6

I'll get back with you on it. The tube is in the RV in storage. [like the stuff you do hinges with....I'll get the name for you in the next couple of days.}

Tags
500, rockwood