Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2017, 06:11 PM   #1

8328BS Feedback

Greetings,

I'm looking at upgrading my current travel trailer (2001 Fleetwood Wilderness 27H) to a 2018 Forest River Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8328BS. I'm hoping/looking to get feedback from anyone who owns/owned one before I pull the trigger on it.

I'm pretty confident that I have enough truck to pull it, but in case I don't hopefully someone can point that out. My truck is a 2002 Ford F250 4x4 crew cab, 8' bed, manual transmission and the 7.3 Power Stroke diesel.

Looking for pros, cons, and overall opinions of both Forest River and the Rockwood 8328BS.

Thanks

Mark
MVFD Retired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 04:43 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVFD Retired View Post
Greetings,

I'm looking at upgrading my current travel trailer (2001 Fleetwood Wilderness 27H) to a 2018 Forest River Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8328BS. I'm hoping/looking to get feedback from anyone who owns/owned one before I pull the trigger on it.

I'm pretty confident that I have enough truck to pull it, but in case I don't hopefully someone can point that out. My truck is a 2002 Ford F250 4x4 crew cab, 8' bed, manual transmission and the 7.3 Power Stroke diesel.

Looking for pros, cons, and overall opinions of both Forest River and the Rockwood 8328BS.

Thanks

Mark

Hi Mark,

I picked up our "fresh from the factory" 2018 8328BS on 6/23/17 from RVWholesalers.com located in Lakeview, OH. I purchased our first camper from them in 2001. In both instances, we've been very pleased with the whole purchasing process and incredible pricing. They saved me over $18K compared to the local dealer for our 8328BS.

As far as the 8328BS, we've used it for 3-one week trips. The kitchen island is great. My DW and I can easily work together to prepare meals. The island extension has been a nice asset as well providing additional counter top space.

We upgraded to the 50 amp service with 2 ACs. The one in the bedroom is a 13.5K with heat as well. The main living area AC is a 15K. We got the theater seating across from the TV and really like it. Last week, we found the fireplace (electric heat) a great benefit when the morning temperature dropped in the Virginia mountains. The fireplace took the chill out of the camper in no time and we didn't need to use the LP furnace at all. The living area has a 43" Toshiba LED TV, the bedroom has a 32" Toshiba. The Serta mattress turns out to be better than expected. Really like the wardrobe too. Tons of storage for clothing.

We also upgraded to the 9cf fridge and it makes a really big difference. Plus, we have the fridge in the outside kitchen as well (electric only).

It has a 45 gallon black tank with a flush connection outside, a 45 gallon grey tank for the bath, a 45 gallon grey tank for the kitchen (galley), and a 18 gallon grey tank for the outside kitchen. I had to contact FR to find out the holding tanks' capacities as it wasn't documented in the generic owners manual.

I really like that I can use my iPhone to control many of the features too. Slides, awnings, water heater and mode, and selected lights.

We chose the wood-look flooring, which provides a rustic feel. We like the Winston decor as well. In addition, we upgraded to the maple cabinetry.

I was worried about having enough storage space for all my stuff, but was pleasantly surprised to end up having plenty and more.

The outside kitchen is really cool. We're finding that we now do most of the cooking outside.

So far I like the overall quality of this FR TT. It seems that they put a lot of attention to detail in our unit.

I tow ours with a 2015 RAM 3500 long bed 4x4 with a Cummings diesel. I use an Equalizer WD/sway control hitch and find the combination perfect for this camper. She tows straight and true with no draft affect from passing 18's.

Feel free to ask anything that I missed and good luck with your decision.

Dan
Old 08-14-2017, 07:21 PM   #3
ADK

I am sure glad to read that Dan loves this model, the wife and I currently have this model on order. We added the 4.0 leveling system and slider toppers on ours,probably about ten weeks out before delivery.
ADK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 10:10 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADK View Post
I am sure glad to read that Dan loves this model, the wife and I currently have this model on order. We added the 4.0 leveling system and slider toppers on ours,probably about ten weeks out before delivery.

We have the factory installed slider toppers as well. I elected to stay "old school" with scissor jacks for stabilizing and lynx levelers as they don't fail. I saw a fellow camper recently cussing at his 4.0 leveling jacks as the front starboard one failed. I hope they work for you.
Old 08-14-2017, 10:35 PM   #5
Canadian Member

Quote:
Greetings,

Thanks

Mark
As you can see from my signature, I own a Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite but not the 8328BS. The Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite line is an above average quality unit with luxury features not found in many ultra lites. Just be aware that because it's an ultra lite, it will not be as solid as non-ultra lite trailers. Something needs to be compromised for the lighter weight. Still, as I said, they make a great unit.

Because we bought both our Rockwoods used, I don't have experience as a buyer of a new trailer but FR was very fair with us as the 2nd owner of our Roo hybrid when the bunk doors delaminated. They shipped us new doors for free and we had to pay a local dealer to install them. So I consider FR and Rockwood in particular to have good customer service. If your local Rockwood dealer doesn't have a great reputation for after-sales service, don't hesitate to buy from a wholesaler or another dealer further away to get the best price. FR can find you a dealer who will do warranty work if needed if the local dealer refuses to do it because you didn't buy it from them.

As for the 8328BS floorplan, it's a popular floorplan that several manufacturers are producing now, but it wouldn't be one we'd choose because we prefer to be able to see out and view our campsite from inside the living area. It's a personal preference obviously, but to me it's a negative against the 8328BS's layout. Something to consider if it's of any importance to you.

By the way, Rockwood and Flagstaff are sister brands and manufacture the same trailer on the same line so you can consider Flagstaff dealers for the same trailer. The only difference is interior fabric choices and exterior decals.

Good luck.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 10:49 PM   #6

We to just ordered the 8328BS, 50 Amp, second AC, 9 cubic fridge. Just wish it had the nice aluminum stairs.
bbk-rockwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 12:40 PM   #7
ADK

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbk-rockwood View Post
We to just ordered the 8328BS, 50 Amp, second AC, 9 cubic fridge. Just wish it had the nice aluminum stairs.
From what we was told the MorRyde stairs come as standard equipment on the 2018's.
Old 08-15-2017, 12:57 PM   #8

Nice, will let ya know when it arrives.
Thanks
Old 08-15-2017, 02:43 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldJarHead View Post
Hi Mark,

I picked up our "fresh from the factory" 2018 8328BS on 6/23/17 from RVWholesalers.com located in Lakeview, OH. I purchased our first camper from them in 2001. In both instances, we've been very pleased with the whole purchasing process and incredible pricing. They saved me over $18K compared to the local dealer for our 8328BS.

As far as the 8328BS, we've used it for 3-one week trips. The kitchen island is great. My DW and I can easily work together to prepare meals. The island extension has been a nice asset as well providing additional counter top space.

We upgraded to the 50 amp service with 2 ACs. The one in the bedroom is a 13.5K with heat as well. The main living area AC is a 15K. We got the theater seating across from the TV and really like it. Last week, we found the fireplace (electric heat) a great benefit when the morning temperature dropped in the Virginia mountains. The fireplace took the chill out of the camper in no time and we didn't need to use the LP furnace at all. The living area has a 43" Toshiba LED TV, the bedroom has a 32" Toshiba. The Serta mattress turns out to be better than expected. Really like the wardrobe too. Tons of storage for clothing.

We also upgraded to the 9cf fridge and it makes a really big difference. Plus, we have the fridge in the outside kitchen as well (electric only).

It has a 45 gallon black tank with a flush connection outside, a 45 gallon grey tank for the bath, a 45 gallon grey tank for the kitchen (galley), and a 18 gallon grey tank for the outside kitchen. I had to contact FR to find out the holding tanks' capacities as it wasn't documented in the generic owners manual.

I really like that I can use my iPhone to control many of the features too. Slides, awnings, water heater and mode, and selected lights.

We chose the wood-look flooring, which provides a rustic feel. We like the Winston decor as well. In addition, we upgraded to the maple cabinetry.

I was worried about having enough storage space for all my stuff, but was pleasantly surprised to end up having plenty and more.

The outside kitchen is really cool. We're finding that we now do most of the cooking outside.

So far I like the overall quality of this FR TT. It seems that they put a lot of attention to detail in our unit.

I tow ours with a 2015 RAM 3500 long bed 4x4 with a Cummings diesel. I use an Equalizer WD/sway control hitch and find the combination perfect for this camper. She tows straight and true with no draft affect from passing 18's.

Feel free to ask anything that I missed and good luck with your decision.

Dan
Dan,

Thanks for the info. I was puzzled about the listed size of the grey tank. Makes sense now that you explained that there are actually three tanks.

One of the things that is playing into my decision is the overall length. If I pull the trigger on this one, I will be adding 6 feet to what I currently have. In your experience, do you find the length of this tt to be average length and easy to find camping locations or on the longer side and more difficult to find locations?

I got a quote from Rv Wholesalers and it sounded pretty good. My only concern with them is that I would need to have it shipped to California which will add over $4,000 to the cost. That puts them right in the ball park with places out here. I need to do a bit more research on that option.

Mark
Old 08-15-2017, 02:50 PM   #10

Quote:
The one I'm looking at has the 4.0 leveling system. Sounds like it will speed up the setup and take town and I'm all for that.

I was thinking that I wanted to get the slider toppers (still researching). The one the dealer has doesn't have them. He said they typically don't include them because when they are out, there is no support for the fabric if the winds pick up. I like the idea of having the top of the slider protected but don't want it to get damaged by the wind. Still need to get more input from others on that.
Old 08-15-2017, 03:04 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
As you can see from my signature, I own a Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite but not the 8328BS. The Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite line is an above average quality unit with luxury features not found in many ultra lites. Just be aware that because it's an ultra lite, it will not be as solid as non-ultra lite trailers. Something needs to be compromised for the lighter weight. Still, as I said, they make a great unit.

Because we bought both our Rockwoods used, I don't have experience as a buyer of a new trailer but FR was very fair with us as the 2nd owner of our Roo hybrid when the bunk doors delaminated. They shipped us new doors for free and we had to pay a local dealer to install them. So I consider FR and Rockwood in particular to have good customer service. If your local Rockwood dealer doesn't have a great reputation for after-sales service, don't hesitate to buy from a wholesaler or another dealer further away to get the best price. FR can find you a dealer who will do warranty work if needed if the local dealer refuses to do it because you didn't buy it from them.

As for the 8328BS floorplan, it's a popular floorplan that several manufacturers are producing now, but it wouldn't be one we'd choose because we prefer to be able to see out and view our campsite from inside the living area. It's a personal preference obviously, but to me it's a negative against the 8328BS's layout. Something to consider if it's of any importance to you.

By the way, Rockwood and Flagstaff are sister brands and manufacture the same trailer on the same line so you can consider Flagstaff dealers for the same trailer. The only difference is interior fabric choices and exterior decals.

Good luck.
itat,

You bring up some good points. Thank you. As far as windows go, this layout has more than what I currently have so it would be an upgrade. I'll have to check it out again and pay closer attention to that aspect.

I have both Rockwood and Flagstaff dealers fairly close to where I live. I hadn't thought about working the two in order to get the best deal. That could be very helpful.

I've read stories of people who weren't able to get service done because they didn't get their rv from that particular dealer. I need to do more research on the wholesale dealer option.

Thanks
Mark
Old 08-15-2017, 03:08 PM   #12

Quote:
Are those the ones that are solid and are put away by folding them up into the doorway? The unit the dealer has on the lot has that type and I really like them. Seemed much more stable.
Old 08-15-2017, 03:21 PM   #13

Quote:
Dan,

Thanks for the info. I was puzzled about the listed size of the grey tank. Makes sense now that you explained that there are actually three tanks.

One of the things that is playing into my decision is the overall length. If I pull the trigger on this one, I will be adding 6 feet to what I currently have. In your experience, do you find the length of this tt to be average length and easy to find camping locations or on the longer side and more difficult to find locations?

I got a quote from Rv Wholesalers and it sounded pretty good. My only concern with them is that I would need to have it shipped to California which will add over $4,000 to the cost. That puts them right in the ball park with places out here. I need to do a bit more research on that option.

Mark

Mark,

I don't notice much difference between the length of my previous TT (33') & this one (36') as far as backing or finding an adequate campsite.

Dan
Old 08-15-2017, 03:30 PM   #14

Quote:
The one I'm looking at has the 4.0 leveling system. Sounds like it will speed up the setup and take town and I'm all for that.

I was thinking that I wanted to get the slider toppers (still researching). The one the dealer has doesn't have them. He said they typically don't include them because when they are out, there is no support for the fabric if the winds pick up. I like the idea of having the top of the slider protected but don't want it to get damaged by the wind. Still need to get more input from others on that.

We had slide toppers on our previous TT & have them on this one as well. In windy conditions, I'll sometimes tie a light duty length of rope over each slide in order to reduce any billowing or flapping. I wouldn't have a camper without them. Besides, the fabric is easy to replace (DIY). The dealer can install them before delivery.

Good luck with your decision.

Dan
Old 08-15-2017, 07:19 PM   #15
ADK

Quote:
We had slide toppers on our previous TT & have them on this one as well. In windy conditions, I'll sometimes tie a light duty length of rope over each slide in order to reduce any billowing or flapping. I wouldn't have a camper without them. Besides, the fabric is easy to replace (DIY). The dealer can install them before delivery.

Dan
Our dealer said its about 50/50 on people ordering slider toppers. She mentioned some people get them because they can't sleep with the rain hitting the top of the slides.
Old 08-15-2017, 09:06 PM   #16

Quote:

Dan
Thanks Dan, good to know.
Old 08-15-2017, 10:26 PM   #17

Quote:
ADK,

What will you be towing yours with?
Old 08-15-2017, 10:30 PM   #18

Quote:
bbk-rockwood,

Old 08-15-2017, 10:37 PM   #19
ADK

Quote:
ADK,

I have a new F150 XLT Crew Cab 3.5 Ecoboost with max tow package and 3.55 rear end. I am adding a rear sway bar from Hellwig in the next few days.
Old 08-16-2017, 10:30 PM   #20

2006 Ford F-250 short bed crew cab Diesel.
I have used a Blue Ox system on other trailers with good luck.
Looking for other options maybe.