Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-10-2020, 09:50 AM   #1

A review of the GeoPro 12RK

Hello everyone, there is a huge gap in info & reviews around the smallest GeoPro/E-Pro units. I had a terrible time finding anything but those dang Haylett RV YouTube videos to do much research! (Shout out to them, they make a decent walkthrough video)

We picked up our new 2020 GP 12RK in June and now have 40 camping nights and well over 5,000 miles. We have stayed in the whole spectrum of camp sites: boondocking, primitive NF areas, driveway surfing, ACOE & State Parks, and RV parks. Ours has several of the add-on features like AC/heat, Thule awning, and the propane system. The link above has the technical details from Rockwood.

This is the first camper I've owned, but my family has had many units since I was a kid. 30ft Bunkhouse, 25ft Class-C, mini campers, and pop-ups. I consider myself an intermediate "RV-er"

Pros:
  • Tows pretty well for a short trailer (Jeep Cherokee w/TP)
  • Very comfortable for two
  • Two batteries
  • BIG fresh water tank
  • Solar ready
  • Screen doors & windows that open

Cons:
  • Poor craftsmanship in fridge install/planning
  • The mini fridge in general (12RK only)
  • TV/Wi-Fi Ranger antennas block cargo rack
  • No hot water (12RK only)
  • 7'6" tall, just barely doesn't fit through standard garage door

First, let me start with the fact that we love this little camper! It has been great for a quick overnight getaway and a week-long road trip. I hate hot weather so the oversized AC unit was great this summer. We definitely camped more in July/Aug than we ever had. Unloaded weight of ~1250# means your daily driver could likely pull it. Like any short trailer, it can get wobbly without plenty of tongue weight. A full water tank makes a HUGE difference. Our tongue cargo racks holds the cooler there as well. Zero issues towing.

The interior is just your bed and some storage. Overhead cubbies (netting, not doors) fit our clothes and personal items easily and plenty of room for extras. Add some command hooks in the right places. Our has the 12V TV, a nice addition. I find the bed quite comfortable. Full bed sheets work great and the mattress heater was a nice surprise for a rest area overnight. We ran the mattress heater on the 1000W inverter w/ fully-charged batteries and had no power issues. I forgot to measure the output. We chose the 12RK over the SRK for the bed.

The kitchen area has some good features and my least favorite as well. The sink is fine for a small unit--note the NO hot water on the 12RK. That hasn't been a big deal for us. We're not sold on whether the microwave will stay or go for more storage yet. There is plenty of space for a conservative pantry and supplies in the kitchen. The worst part of this unit is the mini fridge. It is a regular dorm room mini fridge and has the worst securing method I've ever seen. Ours had mismatched brackets in the legs screwed to the countertop with drywall screws. They stripped out in the first few trips. The batteries you'll get from the dealership can't run the fridge for more than 12 hours through the inverter. We took the fridge out and now just use a cooler, way less hassle and more prep room. And a bonus beer fridge for the garage! There is no interior cooktop so ours came with a griddle that hangs on the side and connects into the propane system. We add a roll-top table and camp stove to complete the kitchen and take care of the hot water issue.

I wouldn't classify this as an "RV-ing" unit. You're really more in a glamping/fancy tent camping mindset. Its great to be off the ground, have AC/heat, and some RV amenities but there isn't the massive storage space for extra grills, yard games, etc. that you'll find in a bigger TT. If you're looking for a Hiker Trailer or teardrop-style I would recommend checking this out. There are a few comfort features that can take advantage of amenities in a State Park or RV park but still keeps a small & useful unit for primitive camping as well.

My Additions
  • Generator rack, we use for cooler
  • Roll-on Flex Seal over the exposed OSB flooring below unit
  • Bike carriers for cargo rack
  • Lots of command hooks!

I hope this is helpful for the next mini-camper seekers out there!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GeoPro1.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	479.2 KB
ID:	242771   Click image for larger version

Name:	GeoPro2.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	265.0 KB
ID:	242772   Click image for larger version

Name:	GeoPro3.jpg
Views:	262