Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2018, 12:25 PM   #1

About to buy a new 2019 2509s

Hello all, so we are on the verge of pulling the trigger on a new 2019 2509S and figured I would post some questions (Some could be dumb questions, too lol) here before we do to make sure we don't make any dumb decisions.

So a little background, we live in Austin, TX have been looking at this model for a little while now, and coincidentally will be close to Indiana at the end of July. We looked at prices in Indiana which were several thousand dollars less than here in Texas for the same model with the exception of the size AC unit.
We can get one here locally (15K AC unit) for $23,900 plus TTL with an equalizer hitch included (Two local dealers offering the same thing, and refuse to go any lower).
We can get one up north for $20,900 plus TTL (13K AC unit) no equalizer hitch. Trying to figure out if it is worth the hassle to upgrade the AC unit, additional WD hitch cost and additional gas cost to get one up north versus locally? Also the local sales people are giving us the sales pitch that if we have any warranty issues, if we buy from them we'd get priority attention versus if we bought it from an out of state dealer.

Also, is there anything I should be asking to be included aside from hoses, propane, batteries, technical walk through as both dealers are offering this?

Lastly, are there any included accessories with these models that are forgotten during delivery that we should be paying attention to? Any suggestions would be appreciated. If it helps our tow vehicle is a 2003 Ford Excursion 6.0 Powerstroke RWD, with rear air bags, and brake controller.
efiguero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 12:30 PM   #2

Take a minute and calculate how much it would cost, round trip (fuel, hotels, meals etc), to go to the other dealer. $3k is a lot of money.

For the sake of discussion, if you tell the local dealer it's going to cost you $1000 to pick up The trailer somewhere else, they may drop the price to earn your business. When possible, it's best to keep your business local. Good luck...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
kltk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 12:59 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kltk1 View Post
Take a minute and calculate how much it would cost, round trip (fuel, hotels, meals etc), to go to the other dealer. $3k is a lot of money.

For the sake of discussion, if you tell the local dealer it's going to cost you $1000 to pick up The trailer somewhere else, they may drop the price to earn your business. When possible, it's best to keep your business local. Good luck...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Yeah I agree $3K is a lot of money. However I am told the Equalizer hitch can run anywhere from $500 to $800 installed, also upgrading the AC could be another $500 or more and not sure how that works in regards to being covered under the factory warranty since it is being done after the fact. Then there is the issue of priority service locally at a dealer I purchased from or them working on a unit bought out of state when they feel like fitting me in. Also the Rock Wood brochure itself says to by locally, which I would rather support a local dealer, but money is money. Also that piece of mind that I can go back to my local dealer for help. Just wondering if that extra piece of mind is worth the extra chunk of change. I am thinking say it's more of a $1500 difference when you add the hitch, AC, and additional gas. We've gotta drive up there anyhow, but pulling back a trailer will obviously increase the gas cost. Also the two local dealers are pretty stuck on these $23,900 and not budging.
Old 06-29-2018, 01:01 PM   #4

We compared prices locally and in other parts of the country before we ordered our 2509s this year. I figured the savings of going out of state were very small, when factoring in gas and everything else. We ended up getting ours (with 15k ac,2 batteries and slide topper) for around $23.5k, from a local dealer. Im glad I did, because we needed to replace the circuit board for the fridge within the first week. It was no big deal and the dealer took great care of us. Don't know if it would have been that easy if we bought from somewhere else. In my opinion, I'd stay local. Great choice for a camper btw!!
TJ Midwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 01:08 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ Midwest View Post
We compared prices locally and in other parts of the country before we ordered our 2509s this year. I figured the savings of going out of state were very small, when factoring in gas and everything else. We ended up getting ours (with 15k ac,2 batteries and slide topper) for around $23.5k, from a local dealer. Im glad I did, because we needed to replace the circuit board for the fridge within the first week. It was no big deal and the dealer took great care of us. Don't know if it would have been that easy if we bought from somewhere else. In my opinion, I'd stay local. Great choice for a camper btw!!
Thanks for the info, hmm, they are already including the WD hitch, wonder if I can ask for the additional battery and Slide Topper (Didn't think of that). What does that run, and how big is the slide on these, never thought to ask?
Old 06-29-2018, 01:34 PM   #6

The slide is about 8 ft wide x 3 ft deep. I don't remember exact prices, but the battery was about $150 and the upgrade on the ac was about $200. The dealer we bought from sells all their mini lites with the slide topper installed, so don't know how much that would be. Prices for these things may vary from state to state, so you'd have to ask a dealer in your area.

I'm not one to say all these things are necessary either. We ordered ours and figured it will last for awhile, so we wanted it to be just what we wanted.
TJ Midwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 02:05 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ Midwest View Post
The slide is about 8 ft wide x 3 ft deep. I don't remember exact prices, but the battery was about $150 and the upgrade on the ac was about $200. The dealer we bought from sells all their mini lites with the slide topper installed, so don't know how much that would be. Prices for these things may vary from state to state, so you'd have to ask a dealer in your area.

I'm not one to say all these things are necessary either. We ordered ours and figured it will last for awhile, so we wanted it to be just what we wanted.
Gotcha, thanks!
Old 06-30-2018, 02:00 PM   #8

We live in Northern Nevada and purchased our Rockwood 2606 in Indiana. Our local dealer wanted $3,000 for delivery and it only cost us $2,000 to drive round trip to Indiana in gas, food and hotels and the Indiana dealer had $0 delivery charge. Also the Indiana dealer took $10,000 off of the MSRP price and the local dealer took $1,000 off of MSRP. The hitch and 2nd battery cost was $730. We ordered the trailer and they called us 8 weeks later to tell us it was in. While we were back there, we took a tour of the Rockwood Factory and had an awesome tour watching them manufacture Rockwood Ultra Lites.

The Indiana dealer also provided the trailer with full tanks of L.P. Gas, Sewage Hose, Water Hose, and 1 battery for $0.

We did have the water heater quit working a month after we got home. I called the Indiana dealer and they shipped out a new control module with next day delivery. I replaced the module in about 20 minutes and then sent the defective one back to them.

BTW, the Indiana dealer was WANA RV in Shipshewana.
Colt45Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 03:26 PM   #9
Site Team

Colt, we drove from Napa, California to Chicago to get our new HTT.
Same issue with West Coast dealers.
We still saved $4000 even after trip costs.

Sent from my SM-T377T using Forest River Forums mobile app
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 03:57 PM   #10

We had a 2016 flagstaff 25dks that we were very happy with except for one thing. We had the 13.5 ac and it worked very hard and barely kept the camper cool on some of those very hot Gulf Coast days. Really wish we had opted for the 15k upgraded ac. The 2509 is about the same size as our 25dks. I think you will regret buying anything without this upgrade. I also think the slide topper is essential. Among other functions, it also prevents heat from beating down on the roof of your slideout. As others have said. Buy local if you can. You will get better service. Good Luck!
2016 Micro Lite 25DKS (sold)
rmillermtsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 05:09 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt45Kid View Post
We live in Northern Nevada and purchased our Rockwood 2606 in Indiana. Our local dealer wanted $3,000 for delivery and it only cost us $2,000 to drive round trip to Indiana in gas, food and hotels and the Indiana dealer had $0 delivery charge. Also the Indiana dealer took $10,000 off of the MSRP price and the local dealer took $1,000 off of MSRP. The hitch and 2nd battery cost was $730. We ordered the trailer and they called us 8 weeks later to tell us it was in. While we were back there, we took a tour of the Rockwood Factory and had an awesome tour watching them manufacture Rockwood Ultra Lites.

The Indiana dealer also provided the trailer with full tanks of L.P. Gas, Sewage Hose, Water Hose, and 1 battery for $0.

We did have the water heater quit working a month after we got home. I called the Indiana dealer and they shipped out a new control module with next day delivery. I replaced the module in about 20 minutes and then sent the defective one back to them.

BTW, the Indiana dealer was WANA RV in Shipshewana.
That’s exactly where we were going to go, Wana RV. We chose to stay local, paid $23,900. They’re including all hoses, LP, Equalizer WD hitch and extra battery (so two batteries). So they essentially took almost $8k off msrp including the $1800 Freight charge they paid. We could have come in a little cheaper with Wana but didn’t have to hassle with doing it out of state. On another note, do you have to prearrange the tour at the Factory? Since we just bought and we’ll be relatively close to the factory I’d love to do the tour.
Old 06-30-2018, 05:18 PM   #12

WANA RV is located about 20 minutes from the Rockwood plant in Millersburg. They do public tours, but it’s something you need to set up on your end directly with Rockwood. Their phone number is 574-642-2640. I believe that the person that we talked to was Anthony and he also gave us the tour.
Colt45Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 06:08 PM   #13
Grammar Pedant

Bought my 2504S from Wana this past January. Great transaction. Much cheaper than local. MUCH. And, life is about time vs money. You either have one or the other and few people have an excess of both. For me, I tend to have more time than money, so a CO <> IN trip was the way to go for me. Cheap food, two $60 hotels, and $300-400 in gas.

My local dealer was very nice, courteous, and honest ... just unwilling to deal. And, around here, they don't have to. The unit he had on his lot sat another 3 months, but it moved. Not sure what the cost of capital is for the dealership over that 3 months, but in Colorado, it's a seller's market.

Spent 3 trips and 10 nights in my trailer so far and no issues -- and I've used every appliance and feature multiple times on multiple trips. Had two interior trim pieces fall off, but nothing a staple gun couldn't fix ... not anything I'd ever take in for a warranty claim, anyway.

TV: 2019 F-350 Lariat 4WD CCSB 6.7 PSD 3.55, 3,591 lb payload
Former RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
Former RV: 2007 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Former TV: 2005 F-150 King Ranch 4WD SCrew 5.4L Tow Package
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 07:35 PM   #14

Thanks for the info!
Old 07-01-2018, 06:13 PM   #15

Go for it!

We too traveled out of state to purchase our Rockwood Mini Lite & saved thousands. As a suggestion...try to camp for couple days nearby. This gives you chance to really check things out, and if you have any questions etc, make sure they would be willing to come to you!!
Gottaluvlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 01:01 AM   #16

My wife and I ordered a 2019 2509s from Josh at Haylett RV (Josh the RV Nerd). Being a used car dealer and tired of customers beating me up, I didn't haggle on the price.

We paid $23,190 + tax and got the following (some might be standard)
Power tongue jack
Power awning
Slide topper
Tongue bike rack
Champagne color
Maple cabinets
Wood plank flooring
Rear ladder
MaxxAir bathroom fan with cover
Think that's it.

I am very loyal with brands and companies and have been watching Josh's videos for around 3 years. I wanted his family business to get my money (I'm a 3rd generation used car dealer). Haylett RV is 2 1/2 hrs from me and I actually have a Rockwood dealer 10 mins from my house but they missed a lot of water damage on my last trailer that I had them do pre-purchase inspection before I purchased it from a private seller.

The only reason I wish I would have purchased local is for the warranty work. I believe the long distance dealers give low prices is because odds are you won't make the trip back.

Warranty work is so f'd up in RV industry. Not forcing dealers to fix your trailer when you didn't buy it there is sickening.
aguyandhiscomputer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 08:16 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by aguyandhiscomputer View Post
My wife and I ordered a 2019 2509s from Josh at Haylett RV (Josh the RV Nerd). Being a used car dealer and tired of customers beating me up, I didn't haggle on the price.

We paid $23,190 + tax and got the following (some might be standard)
Power tongue jack
Power awning
Slide topper
Tongue bike rack
Champagne color
Maple cabinets
Wood plank flooring
Rear ladder
MaxxAir bathroom fan with cover
Think that's it.

I am very loyal with brands and companies and have been watching Josh's videos for around 3 years. I wanted his family business to get my money (I'm a 3rd generation used car dealer). Haylett RV is 2 1/2 hrs from me and I actually have a Rockwood dealer 10 mins from my house but they missed a lot of water damage on my last trailer that I had them do pre-purchase inspection before I purchased it from a private seller.

The only reason I wish I would have purchased local is for the warranty work. I believe the long distance dealers give low prices is because odds are you won't make the trip back.

Warranty work is so f'd up in RV industry. Not forcing dealers to fix your trailer when you didn't buy it there is sickening.
Thanks for the response, looks like you got a good deal!
Old 07-06-2018, 11:48 AM   #18

Regarding factory tour, Anthony Yoder is your contact. His email is AMYoder@forestriverinc.com. We went thru one of the Millersburg plants with him last week. I think there are at least four in Millersburg which is a very small town in the Elkhart/Goshen/Middlebury RV area. We watched the Geo Pro and E Pro 19's being assembled from beginning to end. He was great. My wife and I were the only ones on the appx 1 hour tour and he answered all our questions.
joindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 12:24 PM   #19

I consider local a 50 mile radius from my home.

Living in Texas the larger a/c IMO is mandatory. I'm in Arkansas and have a 15k and 13.5K on my 2902 (7' longer). Add in the installed cost for the Equalizer hitch and extra cost for larger a/c I'll bet the cost difference is less than $1500. Take into consideration that when you find the smaller a/c won't do the job and go to a larger a/c it's going to cost more than the $3 grand savings by going to Indiana to change the a/c. Not to mention the hassle.

I do have a buddy that will drive a 1,000 miles to save a nickle and haggle for hours and I would stay local (50 mile) even with the $3,000 higher price. I want to look a guy in the eye if something goes wrong. A lot harder 1000 miles away.

Different strokes for different folks.
Old 07-06-2018, 12:54 PM   #20
Coach

Negotiate with both dealers. See what kind of freebies they'll throw in. If you can get the one in Indiana to throw in the AC upgrade and a second battery maybe, that makes that deal a little sweeter. Same with your local guy, maybe he can't lower his price, but he may be able to throw in some extras. We bought out of state because none of our local dealers had the model we wanted and didn't want to bargain on something they had to order.

2017 Sandpiper 381RBOK
2006 Ram 3500 Cummins Dually
valleyduo is offline   Reply With Quote