Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2016, 09:32 AM   #1

Ac

HI! I have a 2016 windjammer 3008w. We were in extreme heat this past weekend in AZ where it was 125°. Our ac unit had such a hard time working! It was about 95 in the TT. Do you know if it is a 12,000 BTU? Wondering if we need to upgrade it. Oh yeah...my ac vents blow great in the kitchen and living room, but the bathroom and bedroom...not so much. It's like the Styrofoam shifted and closed the openings. Ugh!
Andrewandjeani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 10:25 AM   #2

I don't know anything about what you have, but at 125 degrees and I'm guessing no shade, I'm not surprised you couldn't cool it down. Going to a larger AC might help, but adding a second AC would be best if you have the space to add one. I have 15 and 13k ACs in my rig and it's been a bit warmer than I was hoping for in 100 degree heat in VA.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 10:33 AM   #3
I go RV'ing not Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewandjeani View Post
HI! I have a 2016 windjammer 3008w. We were in extreme heat this past weekend in AZ where it was 125°. Our ac unit had such a hard time working! It was about 95 in the TT. Do you know if it is a 12,000 BTU? Wondering if we need to upgrade it. Oh yeah...my ac vents blow great in the kitchen and living room, but the bathroom and bedroom...not so much. It's like the Styrofoam shifted and closed the openings. Ugh!
Take the roof vents out in the bedroom and bathroom and feel around in there, there maybe some stuff in the vent blocking it.

I also taped off the vents past the bedroom and in the back of the trailer. If you stick your hand in there the ducting goes all the way to the very front of the trailer and all the way to the very back of the trailer.

By blocking this off it improved the airflow in the front and back of the trailer.

this will help a bit, but not as much as you will need for the heat you are facing. A 15,000btu will help.
1400lbs Equal-i-zer Hitch
jgourlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 11:49 AM   #4
Site Team

The 3008W comes standard with a 13,500 BTUH A/C and has a 15,000 as an option. Do you know if you got the optional unit?

As said earlier, if you didn't have any shade, your A/C is going to have a hard time keeping up in that kind of heat.

One thing to check is the partition between the intake and return. Take the grill off and see if there's a leak between the two.
Old 07-25-2016, 12:13 PM   #5

A/C

We had a similar problem with our Rockwood 2703WS this weekend. It was 104 outside, no shade and well over 90 inside. We have the 13.5k unit. I took a flashlight and shined in ducts and could see light from one end to another. I also checked the divider and it was in place. I did not check the temp differential between intake and output to see if unit was working as specified but cold air was blowing out of outlets. The slide outs, 3 in our trailer, add quite a heat load so I am certain that is part of the problem. I really don't want to add another unit so may upgrade to 15k first and if that works just sell the 13.5, if not I could add it. What I need to find out is if the 15k Coleman is a direct replacement for the 13.5.
nicholsm4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 03:23 PM   #6

Not sure what yours has but as someone else stated the standard is a 13.5k Unit. In CA 90 degree temps, our 15k Upgrade AC worked fine. We arrived in St Louis in the afternoon, no shade, around 95 degrees and must have 80+% humidity - the trailer didn't cool down to the low 80's until late in the evening. I was about to go and buy a 2nd AC to install in the bedroom but the next day it held in the high 70's which was bearable to us. I then added Reflextix to most of the windows and the skylight in the Bathroom. We got to DC in slight lower temps and humidity and the trailer did better. It was able to stay in the mid to high 70's with no problem, (in the partial shade of one tree). If I had my way, I would still add the 2nd A/C. Wife doesn't want to spend the money since summer is half over and we don't plan on being in this type of heat next summer, we should be OK. Definitely look for shade...

Oh yeah, one thing that also helped was cleaning the filters on the AC unit. I never thought it could collect so much stuff in just a month of being on but it was completely clogged. I now have been cleaning them weekly and it is still amazing how much junk it catches up there...

MISSION COMPLETED!
gectisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 03:29 PM   #7

Depends on where in Arizona you are but if your in Phoenix there is no way to cool down your unit no matter if you had 5 a/c units. Because of the heat to the outside of your RV it will not cool down even at night when our temps pretty much stay over 100.
Old 07-25-2016, 03:32 PM   #8

How do I find out how to see if I have the 13.5k or the 15k unit?
Old 07-25-2016, 03:36 PM   #9

I'm figuring not going camping in that kind of heat anymore! Beach it shall be!