Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2021, 04:33 PM   #1

AC Bolts Sheared Off!

Hi, I recently purchased a 2021 GeoPro 12srk and have used it for about 5-6 trips. All either in campgrounds or just off dirt roads. Yesterday after pulling the trailer to my destination I noticed the AC unit sitting sideways on the roof of the trailer. Upon further inspection I discovered ALL FOUR bolts holding the AC unit to the roof had been completely sheared and the AC was resting unsecured on the roof. Thank god I stopped when I did and the unit didn't fly off the roof and hit something.

Has anyone had this happen before or know the cause of this? Trailer is at dealer now and hopefully they resolve the issue.

For a trailer marketed as "go anywhere" this is not very confidence inspiring.
anigh89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 04:52 PM   #2

Cool

My guess would be that when the rig was built, somebody got carried away with the impact driver and overtightened those bolts so badly that it weakened them tremendously. All it took was a few bounces to snap them off.

The same thing often happens with other screws and bolts. On my previous rig, I spent a full day tightening dozens of screws that were too loose and replacing many screws that had snapped off just below the surface.

And...WELCOME to the forum!

CAMPING (n. CAM-ping) - When you walk the dog in your pajamas with a cup of coffee in one hand and a bag of dog poop in the other while striking up a conversation with total strangers.
PopFla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 06:12 PM   #3

Well thats kinda scary. I guess I will have to spend some time bolt checking.

And thanks!
anigh89 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bolts