Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-28-2017, 02:07 PM   #1

Access to 2504S bathroom with slide in?

Well we're still shopping and narrowing down our possibilities. We thought we'd go for a 2509S, but turns out we can’t just pop in the door while traveling and use the bathroom without having to run the slide out. It blocks the pathway when it’s in.

I know some will think this is a silly point, but I like access to the bathroom without having to remove the slide travel lock and run it out every time we stop. I’m sure other "geezers" will appreciate our point.

I think the 2504S is going to have the same problem, but haven’t been able to find one locally to check.

We also want to see the new 2508 model, but apparently nobody in the country actually has one on their lot yet.

Thanks,
Greg
Ggimlick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 02:15 PM   #2

Check out the 2109. I’ve got a 21FBRS (same floor plan), and the bathroom is accessible with the slide closed.
Past: 2018 Flagstaff MicroLite 21FBRS
Past: 2005 Flagstaff Classic 625D
TV: 2016 Ford F-150 3.5 EcoBoost
marinerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 02:26 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinerjoe View Post
Check out the 2109. I’ve got a 21FBRS (same floor plan), and the bathroom is accessible with the slide closed.
I'm guessing he needs the extra bunks, which yours doesn't have.

Looks the 2508S would allow access to the bathroom, but he'd lose the slideout and the big dinette. Funny they'd put a smaller 39" dinette (standard is 44") in a TT with Murphy bed and bunks, that needs to seat at LEAST 4 people.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 02:39 PM   #4

Right,we need the extra bed. I will actually remove the upper bunk, but we want the murphy bed and another bed too.

We looked at the 2306 but the beds are only 26” wide. The newly listed 2508 will have 46” bunks.

I’m also trying to decide if I can go back to living without a slide after years of having trailers and motorhomes with slides.

The new Mini Lite 2508 will also be a Flagstaff Micro Lite 25LB

Doesnt seem to be one of either anywhere in the country.
Old 10-28-2017, 03:54 PM   #5

We have the 2504S. It is a bit tight but you can get to the bathroom without extending the slide
Old 10-28-2017, 04:24 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett717 View Post
We have the 2504S. It is a bit tight but you can get to the bathroom without extending the slide
Thanks, then it must be slightly different than the 2509S in that regard. We couldn't find anyplace to try to squeeze thru that one. I thought the floorplans looked the same up there, but my wife said she thought it looked to be slightly different. That would be a big plus if we can walk to the bathroom without having to climb up over the folded dinette.

I can't seem to find one anywhere in NC to go look at, that's one problem.
Old 10-29-2017, 01:20 PM   #7

We have the 2104S so different floorplan but we can (barely) squeeze through with the slide closed. We're in Raleigh and bought at Camptown RV in Benson. They show a 2509S in inventory now; might be close enough to check out and they should be able to tell you if the squeeze-by dimension is different. Good luck!
Blog for our trailer trips: www.jackandaprilblog.com
jackconn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 01:24 PM   #8

Use of bathroom while traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ggimlick View Post
Well we're still shopping and narrowing down our possibilities. We thought we'd go for a 2509S, but turns out we can’t just pop in the door while traveling and use the bathroom without having to run the slide out. It blocks the pathway when it’s in.

I know some will think this is a silly point, but I like access to the bathroom without having to remove the slide travel lock and run it out every time we stop. I’m sure other "geezers" will appreciate our point.

I think the 2504S is going to have the same problem, but haven’t been able to find one locally to check.

We also want to see the new 2508 model, but apparently nobody in the country actually has one on their lot yet.

Thanks,
Greg
We bought the 2503 S because it has a back door that opens right into the bath room area. Great for traveling for us geezers and when we have the grand twins with us toob
BullHalsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 01:37 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackconn View Post
We have the 2104S so different floorplan but we can (barely) squeeze through with the slide closed. We're in Raleigh and bought at Camptown RV in Benson. They show a 2509S in inventory now; might be close enough to check out and they should be able to tell you if the squeeze-by dimension is different. Good luck!
Thanks, I know David there since we've bought a couple RV's from them over the years. We went to look at the 2509S and they powered it up so we could bring the slide in to check. No way to get past the end of the kitchen cabinet when the slide is in.

The 2504S has a slightly different sink position so we're hoping maybe it will allow for room to get by, but of course nobody in the state seems to have one.

I’m about to the point of driving to IN to see if the factory has some models we can get in to and then have David order our choice.
Old 10-29-2017, 01:39 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullHalsey View Post
We bought the 2503 S because it has a back door that opens right into the bath room area. Great for traveling for us geezers and when we have the grand twins with us toob
Thanks, but we want two beds so bunk models are what we’re targeting. I will probably remove the upper bunk since it will be an adult using it.
Old 10-29-2017, 02:27 PM   #11

We have the 2017 2504S, and yes you can get by the table and fully access the bathroom with the slide in. As a 'plus size' person, getting past the table is a sideways shuffle for me, but certainly doable.

The bunk and kitchen configuration are both quite different between the 2504S and the 2509S. The 2509 has less kitchen space/storage, but much bigger bunks. So, depends on your priorities.

I just took a look at the FR website, the flooplan they are showing for the 2504S now appears identical to what we have, but of course things could always change.
jjkd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 02:46 PM   #12

Thanks! That is great info and since I’m not a 20 yr old gymnast, I want to be able to get thru without too many gyrations :-)

The 2509S hit all our "wants" until we couldnt get to the bathroom. I’m not sure the 30” bunks in the 2504S are as big as I'd like, but do believe it’s workable.

The new 2508 without a slide has 48” bunks, but we haven’t been able to see one yet. We did get to spend time in a 2306 and it was surprisingly roomy even though it didn’t have a slide. The 26” bunks are way too tight feeling though.

I sure wish some dealers had some inventory.
Old 10-29-2017, 10:30 PM   #13

Same with our 2304KS.
I have to step on and over the (folded) table to take an emergency (hell getting old) potty break. The DW doesn't have that option.
Never pass up an opportunity to use the roadside rest stops and the gas station facilities while filling the tank.
Denny B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 04:48 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ggimlick View Post

Thanks,
Greg
That is VERY important to us too. We have a 600 mile range with the Aux tank installed but we do not have 600 mile bladders.

It is VERY convenient to simply pull over, run to the camper, use the toilet, flush and fill the seal with water from a bottle, and be on our way.

5 minutes as opposed to at least 30 to get off highway, park, use bathroom, etc.
Old 10-30-2017, 06:32 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny B View Post
Same with our 2304KS.
I have to step on and over the (folded) table to take an emergency (hell getting old) potty break.
Preach it! When ya gotta go...

Quote:
The DW doesn't have that option.
Yeah mine tried in the 2509S and it just won’t work.

Quote:
Never pass up an opportunity to use the roadside rest stops and the gas station facilities while filling the tank.
We've been spoiled with the motorhome the last ten years because we could just run back to the bathroom without ever leaving the coach. It will be a bit of a run now and of course we have to remember to stop 😬
Old 10-30-2017, 06:38 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasReid View Post
That is VERY important to us too. We have a 600 mile range with the Aux tank installed but we do not have 600 mile bladders.
BINGO! The trucks range is well beyond my bladder range. When I was young, my flight surgeon used to say, "old age is no place for sissies" He forgot to mention some other issues ;-)

Quote:
It is VERY convenient to simply pull over, run to the camper, use the toilet, flush and fill the seal with water from a bottle, and be on our way.
Absolutely! DW also doesn’t have to deal with nasty restrooms.

Quote:
5 minutes as opposed to at least 30 to get off highway, park, use bathroom, etc.
Yup, that’s one place the motorhome saved us a lot of time, especially if one of us needs to go twice as often as the other.
Old 10-30-2017, 06:48 AM   #17

On our trailer I just put the slide out enough to get through to use the bathroom. I don’t have slide locks. I’ve never seen a manuf that gave them with an RV.

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 07:04 AM   #18

Our old 2504s (2015 model year) had the stickers for slide locks, but we never got one with it? Our new 2504s (2018 model year) does have the slide locks, so it is curious what determines who gets them?

Anyways, to the question of bathroom access. There is always a level subjectivity to some of these questions. So I'll say this, the bathroom can be accessed. You can turn and side step through. You can sit down on the table and slide your way through. Etc.

It isn't like walking down a hall way though, I don't want to make it seem like its a large opening. I will note, the 2015 slide floor was lifted a few inches off the floor, and you had to step up a few inches onto the slide floor, and the 2018 is much more "flat".

And a note about the bunks in the 2504S, not sure what size they are currently, or what size they were in 2015, but they are bigger in the 2018.

Old 10-30-2017, 11:42 AM   #19

We have a 2017 2504s, and we use the bathroom without extending the slide. One thing though - I've heard you don't want to walk on the lip of the slide when it is in. So you have to walk on the maybe twelve inches of regular trailer floor. If you look closely, it's like an inch above the rest of the floor when it is all the way retracted. People have had problems with the bottom of the slide detaching from the walls if you put too much weight on it, or so I've read on here. You can always pop the slide out like two inches and that portion settles onto the floor of the trailer, but then you have to remove the slide lock etc.
captaindomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 04:27 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge Guy View Post
On our trailer I just put the slide out enough to get through to use the bathroom. I don’t have slide locks. I’ve never seen a manuf that gave them with an RV.
We do the same. We only need to move the slide out about a foot or 1 1/2 feet to be able to open the door.
2012 Ford F-150 Eco-Boost
2021 Ford F-250 Super Duty
OscarsMom2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bathroom, roo, slide