Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2018, 07:37 PM   #561
MCTroy

We don't see other Windjammers often. Today there were 2 on southbound I75 north of Dayton Ohio. If anyone from here was out there traveling we were saving at you!
MCTroy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 07:49 PM   #562

Yes that is what I thought sink and toilet not connected.. Washed up the drain ran slow. Had standing water in sink. Said ok will deal with it in am. As other sink and shower drains all worked fine. Used the toilet and flushed and the sink bubbled. That is when I thought of have sink connected to blank tank. Drained black water today and water ran down sink drain no problem. Will have to speak with dealer at end of season.
Old 09-16-2018, 08:21 PM   #563

Has anybody ever looked at a V nose on "Going RV"?

2016 RAM 2500 Cummins SLT Lone Star 4X4 LB
2016 Windjammer 3029W Platinum
I'm not an expert. But I play one on the internet.
You live & learn or you don't live long.
If you don't punish your children, life will.
tuckerdog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 05:25 PM   #564
MCTroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckerdog1 View Post
Has anybody ever looked at a V nose on "Going RV"?
I watch several RV shows and none have shown a v nose. I watch these shows then think, I wouldn't trade our WJ for most of those other TT.
Old 09-17-2018, 06:17 PM   #565

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCTroy View Post
I watch several RV shows and none have shown a v nose. I watch these shows then think, I wouldn't trade our WJ for most of those other TT.
Same here! Ours has a huge closet in the V.
Old 09-17-2018, 07:56 PM   #566

Quote:
Agreed. to me, the 3029W is almost the perfect couples TT. The fold out couch if you should happen to have a guest or two. However, if typically traveling as a couple, the layout is great. My one complaint would be the outside storage.

Always poking my head in the doors of other trailers, just to see what they might have to offer, but nothing has made me think I want to change.

Tuckerdog1
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4475393-1.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	186836  

2016 RAM 2500 Cummins SLT Lone Star 4X4 LB
2016 Windjammer 3029W Platinum
I'm not an expert. But I play one on the internet.
You live & learn or you don't live long.
If you don't punish your children, life will.
tuckerdog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 09:50 PM   #567

You hit the nail on the head with the outside storage. That is the one and only thing I miss from my prior round nose TT is the much larger front storage compartment.. We love everything else about our Windjammer, and have folks want to check it out every time we take it somewhere due to the nose..

I solve a lot of the issue by putting much of what I used to keep in the storage compartment in the back of my truck under the cover, but you still end up doing a lot of rooting and digging in the smaller one on the Windjammer as its just harder to get to things in the back. My wife says sometimes I look like Im trying to crawl in there.. Any innovative ways some of you folks have come up with extra storage space ?
Old 09-18-2018, 02:58 PM   #568

Thought I'd pass this email along that I got from FR General manager. I had asked him if what Carpenters Campers told me was true. That they could no order anymore V-nose trailers Windjammers or V-Lites. whatever is in inventory including some 2019's that's it. What can possibly behind this? I'm not sure the numbers that Karl speaks about can be true. Carpenters Campers can't keep them in stock.

Thank God I pick up my new one next week! 30WFKSV

Good Morning Dan,

They are correct, we have stopped building them so the only units available are the ones that are in dealer stock. Same with any floorplans just because we stop building that floorplan does not mean there is anything wrong with them and we will support them as long as they camp. As the industry trends and numbers turn we evaluate what we hear form our dealer body and react accordingly.

Thanks Karl
dannybye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 03:36 PM   #569

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannybye View Post
Thought I'd pass this email along that I got from FR General manager. I had asked him if what Carpenters Campers told me was true. That they could no order anymore V-nose trailers Windjammers or V-Lites. whatever is in inventory including some 2019's that's it. What can possibly behind this? I'm not sure the numbers that Karl speaks about can be true. Carpenters Campers can't keep them in stock.

Good Morning Dan,

They are correct, we have stopped building them so the only units available are the ones that are in dealer stock. Same with any floorplans just because we stop building that floorplan does not mean there is anything wrong with them and we will support them as long as they camp. As the industry trends and numbers turn we evaluate what we hear form our dealer body and react accordingly.

Thanks Karl
I don’t know what “dealer body” they are going by, but every dealer I know that carried Windjammers could never get enough of them — they flew off of the lots!

I think, maybe, they just didn’t want to have to keep up with the good workmanship and quality reputation of the Windjammers — why make a quality rig when most people will buy the other junk they put out there?

Bruce
Old 09-18-2018, 04:46 PM   #570

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannybye View Post

Good Morning Dan,

Thanks Karl

That’s the model we picked up and love..we’ve gone from just a weekend, to 9 days for each trip now..
Old 09-18-2018, 07:24 PM   #571
MCTroy

Bruce, I think you agree right. The dealers we talk to about Windjammers all said they couldn't keep them in stock. You sure don't see many on the lots.
We use our WJ a lot! Almost every weekend in the summer a couple of trips and plenty of company. It does great. Minor fixes or adjustments only. And I love the unique look.
If they aren't going to make a new WJ, we may not buy anything new for a long time!
Forest River, are you listening??
Old 09-18-2018, 09:38 PM   #572

Hard to believe based on our experience. We ended up having to go next door to Alabama to purchase our Windjammer as not a single one of the Dealers in Metro Atlanta could come up with the model we wanted last year. They all told us the same thing. Every time we get one it sells in no time at ll, we cant keep them on the lot..

Its the perfect camper for us right now..

Bad call to discontinue them for sure, they should build more instead.
Old 09-21-2018, 05:29 AM   #573

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carguy1965 View Post
Bad call to discontinue them for sure, they should build more instead.
My thoughts, exactly. I would really like to know the truth behind this decision, but that wouldn’t change the fact that I will never be able to buy another new Windjammer if I wanted to. This is such a shame.

Bruce
Old 09-21-2018, 07:57 AM   #574
Dazed & Confused

Wow, sad to hear they will no longer be building V nose units. Maybe I should have seen this coming though...my wife's last three cars were Pontiac, Oldsmobile and a Mercury. I see a trend here.
M&K Hoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 03:37 PM   #575
MCTroy

Well, after 4 hard years of very good use, our WJ is in for some maintenance. I thought I would share what our repair man found so others can check their trailers. Our big living room slide was gaping open at the top and down one side. Turns out the bolts under it were very loose. There was also a hole filled slightly off from the manufacturer but we can work around that. There was a gap at the bottom of the dining room slide. They had to take off a interior trim piece and cut it as it was made too long. Now that slide is tight.
We also found a couple of bad places on the slide out tops. Thank goodness we have slide toppers that kept a lot of rain off them. More maintenance on the roof too... glad we really love this trailer for what we are putting into it! But we have used it alot in 4 years.. here's to 4 more.
Old 09-22-2018, 04:47 PM   #576

Quote:
Well, after 4 hard years of very good use, our WJ is in for some maintenance. I thought I would share what our repair man found so others can check their trailers. Our big living room slide was gaping open at the top and down one side. Turns out the bolts under it were very loose. There was also a hole filled slightly off from the manufacturer but we can work around that. There was a gap at the bottom of the dining room slide. They had to take off a interior trim piece and cut it as it was made too long. Now that slide is tight.
We also found a couple of bad places on the slide out tops. Thank goodness we have slide toppers that kept a lot of rain off them. More maintenance on the roof too... glad we really love this trailer for what we are putting into it! But we have used it alot in 4 years.. here's to 4 more.
What type of weather has it been exposed to the most? We love in ours in a hot, dry desert. I've wondered how will the roof will hold up with so much intense sun.

Thanks,
Angie
Old 09-22-2018, 05:45 PM   #577
MCTroy

RAIN! Lots of rain during spring and summers. Some of the roof damage was from a tree limb that fell while we were in 70 mph winds. We cover it in the winter and realy have not done anything to the roof but rinse it off.. and the rain does that usually!
Old 09-24-2018, 01:21 PM   #578

New windjammers

We have 3000 miles on our new windjammer and have only seen one other on the road. We got home yesterday and on this trip the trailer had a few issues so we called our dealer and took it in. The oven wouldn’t light using the ignitor, frig acting like a freezer no matter what we did( never had that issue with our old TT) and the door track on the bath door living room side came loose. He told us he tried to order a Windjammer for a customer and was told that no more were being built this year but FR is considering starting the line up again next year. Seems FR can’t keep up wth the 5th wheel demand and windjammers take more time to build.

Nights camped 2012-2017 118, 2018 53,
The Wolfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 03:12 PM   #579
MCTroy

Well, I hope Forest River gets their build capacity figured out. We are already talking about needing a newer trailer in 3 years. Maybe a WJ bunkhouse for the grandbabies.
Old 09-27-2018, 06:35 AM   #580

I just received this response regarding the discontinuation of the Windjammer from Rockwood on their Facebook page:

“Bruce, the Windjammer line was indeed a great line. Those models were built out of the same plant that builds traditional front trailers and fifth wheels. The Windjammer models caused inefficiencies and inconsistencies in the production process. To become more efficient and consistent, we decided to eliminate the line BUT still build similar floorplans in a traditional TT of the models that were successful.”

I have asked them to elaborate on the inefficiencies and inconsistencies, but I don’t expect they will reply with a detailed explanation.

Bruce

Tags
windjammer