Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2020, 08:14 AM   #741

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Forester View Post
My wife and I are on our 3rd summer of owning a 2016 3029 which we bought one year old from Berryland on I-10 in Louisiana. We actually went to the Dealer to tour a used Ultralite. We were already sold on Rockwood and rear-living. I walked past a V-nose in the row over and said, "I'd never buy one of those stupid v-noses". The used one went went down there to see was rough, had a water leak front window, so we started walking around looking at other units. My wife disappeared and in 10 minutes,said, "You gotta see this!" A triple slide, sure, but the v-nose.
IT was LOVE at first sight. This was June of 2017 and looking at a 2016 that had been sold to a person as part of the Baton Rouge great flood as temp housing while their house was repaired. We got an incredible deal - they even gave us a brand new Serta King mattress which we later modified our BR slide side shelves to accommodate.
No ownership issues. Replaced tires with Carlisle "E"s, larger 12v deep cycle and box.
Just love the TT. Curt WDH with detent centering works well. 2012 Silverado 5.3 Extcab with ARE tonneau we had bought to tow the 85 Excella Airstream is not quite enuff truck to tow this 7,700# unit, so we stay close to home and it does fine. It is an ALL STAR 10,500# full tow equipped-package, the Z-72. We still want a bigger truck.
The Windjammer 3029 is the IDEAL couples extended living TT. ALL on "one-level" too. No 5th wheel steps. I pulled the Dometic 310 toilet and put in the longer bowl 320. Ours came with LVGRM 15K and 13.5K BR A/C's thus making Louisiana use possible. We run the opposite unit to where we are for quiet comfort and the duct-work is great feature. We just totally love our Diamond. We too wondered why Rockwood dropped the line and I have a theory. Like my 30-40 Kraag rifle, if you have ever seen one, you'll know why the 1903 Springfield was adopted. The cost of production of the Kraag was huge compared to the latter rifle. Now, the Kragg is a total delight to operate and shoot and I can drive tacks with it, but to build that side-loader was twice the machining... Windjammers were just built "too-well". I suppose the nose was considered an unnecessary expense too. You can still buy the flat-nose floorplan equivalent, an 82XX something for about 40K driveoff. We concluded our unit was around 38K off the lot in 2016 - we were 24K out the door, no trade, clean deal back in 2017. Let someone else eat that first year of depreciation. I have to thank whoever gently lived in our unit that first year as they really left no tracks of their having been there aside from the outdoor BBQ. Inside storage is truly amazing. The walk-in front closet is a wonder to behold. I think my wife and I were very fortunate to have stumbled into that "v-nose" I initially turned my nose up at...............
Your story is similar to mine. I, too, wasn’t a fan of that funky, seemingly useless V-nose, so I never even considered looking at one.

The only reason I ended-up with a Windjammer is because I lost an awning to heavy rain on my previous travel trailer. I was inside at our local dealer (Shady Maple RV — a great dealer) working out the details of an insurance claim replacement for the awning. My wife got bored and began walking the lot. I wrapped-up my business inside, then went looking for my wife. She was across the lot and beckoning me to come over to where she was — outside of a 2016 3029W Diamond Edition. Reluctantly, I walked in and immediately realized I was in trouble. Back into the office we went. We worked out the trade (sight unseen) for our current travel trailer (with a new awning) and negotiated the price of the Windjammer and signed a contract. We picked-up our new Windjammer one week later. I have never regretted how this all worked out.

Bruce
Old 08-02-2020, 10:33 AM   #742
MCTroy

I feel really old. Never knew there was an element tric sway bar out there. Thanks for the education.
MCTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 10:39 AM   #743
MCTroy

Old Forester, glad you joined the WJ fan club. You said you put E rated tires on your trailer. Did have to replace the rim's too? We put D load on ours 4 years ago. Next year we will replace them. It might be good to consider E load but we were told the rims couldn't handle them.

So do we need load E tires? Can the rims handle them?
No problems with performance or anything on current Load D tires... we tow about 3000 miles a year as we also have a seasonal site. And we aren't in a hurry so max speed is 65 mph and we are usually about 55-60.
Suggestions?
Old 08-02-2020, 11:22 AM   #744

[QUOTE=MCTroy;2381826]I feel really old. Never knew there was an element tric sway bar out there. Thanks for the education.[/

MCTroy, thanks for your response earlier and don't feel so old. I am 76 and still learning every day!
lol
larwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 01:22 PM   #745

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
Your story is similar to mine. I, too, wasn’t a fan of that funky, seemingly useless V-nose, so I never even considered looking at one.

The only reason I ended-up with a Windjammer is because I lost an awning to heavy rain on my previous travel trailer. I was inside at our local dealer (Shady Maple RV — a great dealer) working out the details of an insurance claim replacement for the awning. My wife got bored and began walking the lot. I wrapped-up my business inside, then went looking for my wife. She was across the lot and beckoning me to come over to where she was — outside of a 2016 3029W Diamond Edition. Reluctantly, I walked in and immediately realized I was in trouble. Back into the office we went. We worked out the trade (sight unseen) for our current travel trailer (with a new awning) and negotiated the price of the Windjammer and signed a contract. We picked-up our new Windjammer one week later. I have never regretted how this all worked out.

Bruce
Similar tale here. Went to dealership with our Jayco 213X for annual inspection. While I hung with the inspector, in case he found any issues, DW was poking around trailers on the lot. She insisted I come see this Windjammer 3029W. It was new, and I really don't know what trim level it was. I had to admit, I liked it, but I did not like the $42K sticker. As we were preparing to leave, the salesman who had sold us the Jayco the year before, came running up ( he'd walked the Windjammer with us and knew we liked it ), and said a 2016 3029W Platinum ( this was still in 2016 ), was just traded in. Platinum is the same trim as Diamond, but the exterior is white. And the original owners had gone with the dual AC option. Which is almost mandatory here in TX. We love this trailer. There have been a few rinky-dink issues, but nothing that has made me angry. Just things I had to address. And I agree, the 3029W floor plan is perfect for a couple.

2016 RAM 2500 Cummins SLT Lone Star 4X4 LB
2016 Windjammer 3029W Platinum
I'm not an expert. But I play one on the internet.
You live & learn or you don't live long.
If you don't punish your children, life will.
tuckerdog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 01:46 PM   #746

Our last trailer was a 2014 Windjammer 3008, with front kitchen. We traded it for the Columbus that we now own, but it was - and still is - my wife's favorite trailer of any that we've owned.
2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW 4X4 Duramax
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 05:26 PM   #747

2013 M3001W front bdrm mid kitchen ((soft floor))

Being this is a windjammer I wont Be hijacking this thread too much.
2013 windjammer M3001w rear living room. in the middle area kitchen.
I have 5 soft spots (it has the laminated floor alum frame foam in between alum. and the luan laminated outer covers) soft spots infront of sink/stove/refrig.. no problem at rear entry door or bathroom ..

Has anyone laid 8 in wide x 50 in long 10 or 12 mil laminate or vinyl planks
from rear edge of cabinet the sink is in to the bathroom door. over to edge of carpet.

I'm3rd owner 1 st ,older couple never took it out husband passed , wife let it sit in shelter 4 years, 2nd owner had less than a year had set up on property to build house,had elect hooked up only for lights and a/c and frig. he had a well and commercial outhouse and shed for his tractor before he got tt. the recliners still had all tags and still tied down in travel mode. sinks still had all stickers glued in. toilet never used no water in fresh tank ,nothing in grey or black tank .he used the frig to keep his vodka and mix cold and lunch. his wife found a house she wanted before he got his foundation mound (in this florida water table is pretty high 12 in hole you get water.)
I bought it in june 2018 figure it had less than 1000 miles on it original dealer in Mo. i've put about 16,000 mi on it from pensacola fl to quartzite /Blyth bunch of BLM LTVAcamping 2018 2019,, 2019/2020 up to ND ,Mont.,Wash,OR,back to BLM on CA/AZ border to Yuma back to home.

FLOOR GETTING WORSE i'm 6 6 260 lb doesn't help. done a ton of research most talk about laying down 1/2 plywood and talk about removing cabnets to put plywood down.
TRYING TO GET SOMEMORE INFO ON HOW TO DO FLOOR.

2013 F350 srw /6.2 gas Aout 75000 mi. pulls TT like a dream
larry5167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 09:34 PM   #748
MCTroy

Hi Larry and welcome to the forum. We have one soft spot near the kitchen sink. I will follow your post to see what suggestions you get. For now we aren't doing anything...
Old 08-11-2020, 05:42 AM   #749

I have never had any soft spots in any of my RVs’ floors, but I have read a lot of posts where people have experienced them.

What is the usual cause of soft spots?

Bruce
Old 08-11-2020, 06:01 AM   #750
MCTroy

I think the soft spot by our sink is from water. Water has leaked there when the hose came lose. Also our dogs water bowl used to sit there.
We are hoping it is just the flooring glue coming up.
Old 08-22-2020, 10:41 AM   #751
MCTroy

Need littleift

We are set on our summer site and only have about 3 weeks until we leave. The heavy rains washed away some gravel and dirt and now the trailer is low in one corner. Not enough to cause issues with cooking or sleeping but doors swing shut more than they should and a little water stands in the shower.
We don't want to disconnect everything to pull out and put a board under the passenger side rear tire.
Do we dare try a Jack on what I think is the frame and slide a board under the tire? Do I have the frame circled in these pictures? This would be under the dining room slide, which I would bring in for this of course. Ideas and suggestions? Try it or forget it? Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200822_112838.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	441.5 KB
ID:	237301   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200822_112933.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	440.1 KB
ID:	237302  
Old 08-22-2020, 10:42 AM   #752
MCTroy

Sorry, title should say need a little lift
Old 08-22-2020, 02:07 PM   #753

MC,

Just went out to shoot a pic of where I put a bottle jack to lift my tires. When the TT sits for awhile, I like to lift & rotate the tires to avoid flat spots. Anyway this is about a 4 or 5 inch drop that is connected to the frame rail you have circled. I have to extend my bottle jack ( unscrew the shaft to max height ) and set it on a piece of 4x4 to get enough height to lift the tires off the ground. But I've done it many times. I place the jack between both tires. It also looks like it's wire brush & new paint time under there. Was bummed to see that rust. Another stay home China Flu project.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	unnamed.jpg9.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	269.7 KB
ID:	237317  

Old 08-22-2020, 02:10 PM   #754

I would jack on the spacer between the tires, just like if you had to change a tire. The spacer evens out the pressure on the frame.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1866.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	315.6 KB
ID:	237318  
Old 08-22-2020, 02:22 PM   #755

Quote:
Originally Posted by dankirk View Post
I would jack on the spacer between the tires, just like if you had to change a tire. The spacer evens out the pressure on the frame.
Yup, that's the spot. Lots better pic than mine.

Old 08-22-2020, 03:19 PM   #756

Quote:
Originally Posted by dankirk View Post
2X that is where I jack trailer up to work on tires and bearings.
TimVWulp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 04:21 PM   #757
MCTroy

Perfect!! Thank you. I plan to save these pictures. Honestly. We never knew where to Jack the trailer. I knew not to jack on the axels though. A appreciate the advice.
Old 08-22-2020, 04:52 PM   #758

larry5167 tried to reply to last msg i think it ended up on you page. you can jack up the torsion arm where the axle stub is jack one up enough to add board the tire should raise enough without raising the trailer as each tire is independently sprung . then do the other tire add board. you dont have to jack on frame or cross tube.
larry5167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 09:13 PM   #759

MCTroy - Sorry for the delay, Just got home.

The rims on our unit are:
Lionshead wheel, Lynx
15X6 5-4.5 Rated 2150 lbs

The tires I put on were:
Carlisle Radial Trail HD Trailer Tire-225/75R15 10-ply Load Range E
Speed Rating M Max Capacity: 2,830 pounds, Maximum PSI: 80

I kept my rims. I load under the rating... Do not haul fresh water
and dump on the way out. We also have a mascerator....
Old Forester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 06:41 AM   #760
MCTroy

Thanks for the advise on leveling the trailer. Sure made DH happy to not unhook everything.

And Old Forester, that's for the tire info. I will check our rims but I think they are the same. We usually keep less than half a tank of fresh water onboard and no gray or black.

This forum is so helpful!

Tags
windjammer