Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2016, 06:49 PM   #121

Stick on bubble levels

Where have you attached your level for the side to side leveling of the trailer? Seems with the angled front end of the Windjammers, putting a level on the side of the V shaped nose would give a partial read for side to side & a partial read for front to back. And the very front is curved, so a level wouldn't be completely attached.
Would just setting a small ( 6 to 10 inch ) level across the tongue do the trick? I was also thinking about one of those round levels with a little circle in the center. Maybe stick that to the top of the tongue. That should cover side to side & front to back.
Just my thoughts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1000.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	106553  

2016 RAM 2500 Cummins SLT Lone Star 4X4 LB
2016 Windjammer 3029W Platinum
I'm not an expert. But I play one on the internet.
You live & learn or you don't live long.
If you don't punish your children, life will.
tuckerdog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 05:01 AM   #122

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckerdog1 View Post
Where have you attached your level for the side to side leveling of the trailer? Seems with the angled front end of the Windjammers, putting a level on the side of the V shaped nose would give a partial read for side to side & a partial read for front to back. And the very front is curved, so a level wouldn't be completely attached.
Would just setting a small ( 6 to 10 inch ) level across the tongue do the trick? I was also thinking about one of those round levels with a little circle in the center. Maybe stick that to the top of the tongue. That should cover side to side & front to back.
Just my thoughts.
IMHO, there is too much deflection in the frame for a level on the tongue to be accurate. I wish it were so simple. I use my 4' carpenter's level on th floor just inside the door for front to back and I lay it across the kitchen counter for left to right. I'm not looking for perfection, but I want it close.

Bruce
Old 05-01-2016, 06:39 AM   #123
MCTroy

X2, we use a level on the floor by the door. I put a little piece of velcro on the level and a piece on the wall by the small cupboard as you go inside. Easy to reach without opening any outside cubbies or slides.
MCTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 08:22 AM   #124

I attached a small 2 way level to the tongue. Once I got the trailer level using an 18" level inside the trailer, I pulled the slides in and attached the level on the tongue with thick 2 sided tape

I then added a few small sheet metal screws so I could tweak the level just right

With the slides in it shows level, with the slides out it shows not level even though the trailer is. Works great for me.

Linc
missing_link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 09:15 AM   #125

We have 2 in the back over the lights. One for storage and one door when the slides are out. We used a level on the floor to set the outside levels. Seems to work fine.
dkkirkland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 09:28 AM   #126

I don't like levels on my trailers. The jayco I had that the dealer put levels on, well they moved all over the place and were never right.

I put a 4 ft level on the back bumper to get close and on the tongue of my sunset trail (can't use the tongue on my windjammer).

Then I check the floor near the door both ways with an 18 inch level. Then I go in and check the refrigerator for level with the 18 incher.
KingFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 10:24 AM   #127

Thanks All,

I was kinda leaning toward the level inside the door option. DW didn't want to do it that way. But might just have to.

Tuckerdog1

Old 05-01-2016, 07:28 PM   #128
Retired

We are into the 4' level btw front door & ref for side to side ( what ever the distance at the bottom of the level and floor is the height of leveling blocks needed) and turn it 90 for frt to bk...this technique works great for us and the ref is spot on....critical when running on LP.
Old 05-02-2016, 06:24 AM   #129

Quote:
Just my thoughts.
I put the standard Hopkins graduated level on the back of the TT. Level out your trailer first, then peel and stick. No curved surface to try and figure out! Make it easy on yourself... and just a plain peel and stick between the wheel for front to back and the graduated one for how many blocks you have to use and on what side!
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 07:20 AM   #130

I have a 3006wk. If I level it with the slides in, it is way off when the slides go out.

I found that it is easier to get it perfect with the slides out, then pull them in and attach your level. That way you can get it level while still attached to your truck.

Linc
Old 05-02-2016, 07:45 AM   #131

If all W/J-V-Lite owners with Slides on 1 side really notice when Slides are Deployed,they are LOW on that side if starting out Level! They Need a little Boost Up on the Slide side! Youroo!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SAM_2474.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	396.4 KB
ID:	106661  
Old 05-02-2016, 07:51 AM   #132

I have 2 slides on one side. Difference between slides out/in is significant.
Old 05-02-2016, 04:17 PM   #133
Retired

Just landed at James Island CG Charleston SC ....follow my recommendation #128...both slides are deployed and the bubble is still between the lines s2s & f2b.:thumbup:
Old 05-04-2016, 07:09 PM   #134

Good & bad on 1st shakedown trip

Took a short trip to Lake Georgetown to get a feel for how well things work in our new TT. The good news is everything about this trailer is what we hoped it would be. All systems work as they should. Very comfortable for two people and a couple dogs.
The bad was the condition of the site at the lake. It was overgrown with foxtails. Bad enough just walking around the trailer would result in a dozen sticking in my socks. But then one of the dogs got one in his eye. Off to the vet and adios $100. No way we could bring the dogs back there. So a 3 day stay turned into a 1 day stay.

Tuckerdog1
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1000749.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	593.3 KB
ID:	106913   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000747.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	503.9 KB
ID:	106914  

Old 05-04-2016, 07:22 PM   #135
MCTroy

TuckerDog - nice looking rig. We like our WJ with the tan exterior but we have a bright blue Ram. We got the truck before the trailer. I like your white trailer and tow. sorry about the site being weedy though.
Old 05-04-2016, 07:25 PM   #136

Quote:
Originally Posted by missing_link View Post
I have 2 slides on one side. Difference between slides out/in is significant.
I do, too. I have to be about 1.5" to 2" high on the driver's side before the slides (both on drivers' side)are extended. Doing it that way, I'm generally pretty darn close to level when the slides go out.
2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW 4X4 Duramax
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 07:28 PM   #137
MCTroy

[QUOTE=youroo;1182310]If all W/J-V-Lite owners with Slides on 1 side really notice when Slides are Deployed,they are LOW on that side if starting out Level! They Need a little Boost Up on the Slide side! Youroo!!
Youroo -

Our WJ isn't usually too unlevel with all 3 slides out if the site is level to begin with. But I bought the Anderson levelers to use as needed. We tried them while at home so we knew how to set up on a site that may not be as level as we are used to on our seasonal site. no luck. We didn't get the trailer up on both on of them. In your photo, did you back up on the rear level and then pull up on the front one? How did you know where to put the front one? and what about the tire that isn't sitting on the level? We didn't like part of the tire just suspended between the levelers.
I am wondering if we are doing this wrong or am I just over thinking this?
Thanks for your posts they are much appreciated!
Old 05-04-2016, 07:51 PM   #138

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCTroy View Post
TuckerDog - nice looking rig. We like our WJ with the tan exterior but we have a bright blue Ram. We got the truck before the trailer. I like your white trailer and tow. sorry about the site being weedy though.
MCTroy-Thanks for the kind words. Had this truck before the trailer as well. The trailer was already in stock at the dealer, so no real choices for me to make. However, it's pretty much just the way I'd have ordered it if I was building from scratch. Just lucky the color was a match for the truck. As I mentioned in an earlier post, was not in the market for a new TT. Went to the dealer for a state inspection on our other trailer. DW was poking her head into trailers while I was hanging with the inspector. Somehow before we'd left, we had a new trailer. This is sooo much nicer than what we had before.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't color the only difference between the Diamond & Platinum packages?

Tuckerdog1

Old 05-04-2016, 08:14 PM   #139

[QUOTE=MCTroy;1185476]
Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
If all W/J-V-Lite owners with Slides on 1 side really notice when Slides are Deployed,they are LOW on that side if starting out Level! They Need a little Boost Up on the Slide side! Youroo!!
Youroo -

Our WJ isn't usually too unlevel with all 3 slides out if the site is level to begin with. But I bought the Anderson levelers to use as needed. We tried them while at home so we knew how to set up on a site that may not be as level as we are used to on our seasonal site. no luck. We didn't get the trailer up on both on of them. In your photo, did you back up on the rear level and then pull up on the front one? How did you know where to put the front one? and what about the tire that isn't sitting on the level? We didn't like part of the tire just suspended between the levelers.
I am wondering if we are doing this wrong or am I just over thinking this?
Thanks for your posts they are much appreciated!
Haven't tried this with our new WJ, but it worked well with our previous trailer. I bought 1 Anderson leveler & 1 of the Anderson flat tire changing things. It looks like a leveler, but has a couple inches more lift, so you can get a flat off the ground. Our earlier trailer did not have enough space between the tires to fit a leveler in there. The WJ looks to have even less space between the tires. So when I put the flat tire Anderson under the forward tire and pulled forward until level, the rear tire would sometimes come off the ground. Still couldn't get the regular leveler in between the tires, so to give support to the hanging rear tire, I'd hammer the leveler in from the rear with a rubber mallet. This supported the rear tire, and acted as a chock. To get it out when time to leave, just pulled forward a bit until the pressure was off, removed the leveler, then backed off the front leveler.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	5f441746-cd1d-4913-88d6-d61377b520ae.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	160.4 KB
ID:	106923  

Old 05-05-2016, 05:00 AM   #140
MCTroy

Quote:
MCTroy-Thanks for the kind words. Had this truck before the trailer as well. The trailer was already in stock at the dealer, so no real choices for me to make. However, it's pretty much just the way I'd have ordered it if I was building from scratch. Just lucky the color was a match for the truck. As I mentioned in an earlier post, was not in the market for a new TT. Went to the dealer for a state inspection on our other trailer. DW was poking her head into trailers while I was hanging with the inspector. Somehow before we'd left, we had a new trailer. This is sooo much nicer than what we had before.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't color the only difference between the Diamond & Platinum packages?

Tuckerdog1
We were told the wood trim and upholstery was an upgrade too. I have noticed some don't have the padded covers over the doors and windows. Just a few changes like that. We just bought the one we liked. My DH actually picked our WJ out. I didn't care so long as I got that big closet in the V! I am a pack rat!

Tags
windjammer