Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2016, 06:37 PM   #61

Hey WindJammer owners, Im currently in the process of purchasing a 3029W loved the lay out and the wife and I are planning to live full time in it for about 2-3 years where ever the military sends us. What kind of advice would anyone have from me from pulling, winter camping, full time living, so on and so forth. Excited to join the community!
Old 02-18-2016, 06:59 PM   #62

Windjammers are great TT and it should serve you well. I have a 3001w and like yours both slides are on the same side. When you level the trailer start with about 1/8" to the foot high on that side and after putting out the stabilizers then slides you should be just right.
D_B Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 07:18 PM   #63

Great advice thank you very much! Im looking forward to joining the community and sharing post with every one. All advice is much welcomed. every done any winter camping in your windjammer?
Old 02-18-2016, 08:44 PM   #64

Where are you winter camping? I am in TX so we don't worry much, in fact we aren't even winterized. If you are going to be where it is really cold you will need a water hose with the heat wire and make sure to keep the tank heaters on also.
Old 02-18-2016, 08:46 PM   #65

No Winter Trailer

We love our 3001W but it is no winter camper. When it got around 20 in north Texas we went through propane like crazy and we were pretty cold. If you are sent up north you may have problems. At least the tanks have warmers and you can get a heated drinking water hose. If you are lucky enough to stay in the sunbelt you should be good. Good luck and welcome to the community!
Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 08:49 PM   #66

The only place that we are really going to have to worry about is if we get stationed in Dayton Ohio, I'm from the area and know of people that live year round in their TT but unknown of what precautions are taken. Fingers crossed we stay here in Texas or go to Cali so we dont have to worry about the cold at all. She will be a happy camper that way also, cold is no bueno for her.
Old 02-18-2016, 10:25 PM   #67
MCTroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendricks42091 View Post
The only place that we are really going to have to worry about is if we get stationed in Dayton Ohio, I'm from the area and know of people that live year round in their TT but unknown of what precautions are taken. Fingers crossed we stay here in Texas or go to Cali so we dont have to worry about the cold at all. She will be a happy camper that way also, cold is no bueno for her.
Hi there! Dayton is great! Our winter has been very mild this year. We have a windjammer 3029 too. Love it! If you find yourselves st WPAFB send me a pm as we are very close by.
MCTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 10:09 AM   #68

Like Swift said, it is not a winter camper, but how many TT actually are. With some reasonable precautions, and keeping your tank heaters on you should be good. AND...as noted, it does eat the propane when it is below freezing outside. I would suggest a space heater for the really cold days to help the furnace out and reduce the propane used. We camped for a few days last month in AZ and NM where we had 20 MPH winds and it was in the high 20's overnight; about three days on a 30# tank was what we got; but we didn't have our little space heater to help out. Also, if you have the second (A/C only) unit, turn it onto "Fan" setting to help circulate the air in the TT and keep down the condensation on the windows. I discovered that it would do that by accident because I always sleep with some ambient noise and forgot my normal small fan. I turned the front A/C to fan and had a pleasant surprise the first morning, finding little to no condensation on the windows.
Old 02-19-2016, 11:44 AM   #69

We have a fireplace and it's electric so you don't have to use as much propane to heat. Unfortunately when we took our trailer out on it's maiden voyage on October-November, the fireplace wasn't working right and we weren't getting heat. The dealer replaced the fireplace and when we picked it up it cranked out a lot of heat. That should help with heating if you have a fireplace. Welcome to the Windjammer family. Hope to see some of you this summer as we're traveling some 5000 miles to the Grand Canyon and back to Maryland.
dkkirkland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 01:04 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_B Travelers View Post
Like Swift said, it is not a winter camper, but how many TT actually are. With some reasonable precautions, and keeping your tank heaters on you should be good. AND...as noted, it does eat the propane when it is below freezing outside. I would suggest a space heater for the really cold days to help the furnace out and reduce the propane used.

I discovered that it would do that by accident because I always sleep with some ambient noise and forgot my normal small fan. I turned the front A/C to fan and had a pleasant surprise the first morning, finding little to no condensation on the windows.
First trip out was in high 30's to mid 40, we used a 30lb tank in 4 days and of course I had the 2nd tank valved closed so I had to get up early in the morning in freezing weather just to turn it on. Our second trip in about the same weather we came prepared with two 1500 watt space heaters, that reduced the amount of propane usage for the furnace to almost nothing.

Nice tip on the AC fan. Thx!

MISSION COMPLETED!
gectisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 01:23 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_B Travelers View Post
Like Swift said, it is not a winter camper, but how many TT actually are. With some reasonable precautions, and keeping your tank heaters on you should be good. AND...as noted, it does eat the propane when it is below freezing outside. I would suggest a space heater for the really cold days to help the furnace out and reduce the propane used. We camped for a few days last month in AZ and NM where we had 20 MPH winds and it was in the high 20's overnight; about three days on a 30# tank was what we got; but we didn't have our little space heater to help out. Also, if you have the second (A/C only) unit, turn it onto "Fan" setting to help circulate the air in the TT and keep down the condensation on the windows. I discovered that it would do that by accident because I always sleep with some ambient noise and forgot my normal small fan. I turned the front A/C to fan and had a pleasant surprise the first morning, finding little to no condensation on the windows.

The fan on the second A/C is great advise! I was worried about condensation and was wondering what else I could do other than dehumidifiers. Also looking into how to make a nice insulated skirt to wrap the trailer for the winter and also give more storage. I have seen some nice self made skirts that work multifunctional for keeping heat under the trailer to prevent freezing along with making a nice finished look/trim to the ground creating under belly storage.
Old 02-19-2016, 05:38 PM   #72

Also the second A/C is a heat pump and will also help heat your unit.
dkkirkland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 09:20 PM   #73

DB, thanks for the tip on the fan - I'll try that. Of course we use a dehumidifier, which pulls a lot of water out of the air. We discovered the outside walls behind the cabinets getting wet within a couple of days after the cold hit. On cold nights we leave the cabinet doors open at night. After going through both 30# tanks in a week, we also got an electric space heater and use the furnace only when needed. We moved south as soon as we could, right after Christmas.
Full-Time since 10/29/15
Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 08:48 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grn_Mtns View Post
We will head out to Fl in 10 days for our third trip in our 3025. We have had on major issue and FR just replaced both axles this fall after I found some bad welds. We switched to LRE Carlisle tires as a 10,000 pound trailer with C range tires is nuts. Other wise it has been great and the quality is above average for a TT. It tows like it is not there with our 3/4 GMC
What size and rating are those tires?
Carrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 08:52 PM   #75

Carlisle Tires

ST23515E Wearing great after 10,000+miles.
It's hard not to jump the occasional curb with the 35' TT :!) they don't complain much.

2018 8329 SS Rockwood /260watts solar
Grn_Mtns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 09:01 PM   #76

Quote:
ST23515E Wearing great after 10,000+miles.
It's hard not to jump the occasional curb with the 35' TT :!) they don't complain much.
Our 2015 3008 has C tires from the factory and it is not that stable. We had it at a seasonal site last year so wasn't a big deal. We are going to do some traveling this year and I'm looking for some decent tires.

Also what air pressure do you run in them?
Old 02-25-2016, 09:02 PM   #77

75-80 #

Old 02-25-2016, 09:08 PM   #78

Quote:
75-80 #
Thanks
Old 02-25-2016, 09:13 PM   #79

Anytime,
What will you be towing with?

Old 02-25-2016, 11:57 PM   #80

Quote:
Anytime,
What will you be towing with?
We bought it late summer in 2014 and have put a couple thousand miles on it since as well as being at a seasonal 4 months last year.
Been using a F150. It took a bit to get it working right but got it setup now and it works ok. I wouldn't want to go on a cross country trip with it but with the short trips we took it works.
I'm hoping that a set of E tires like you have will stiffen up the trailer as the Trail Express C tires on it sure squirm around. Even when my brother in law pulled it with his F350 he said I should get rid of those tires as he felt it wandering compared to his trailer that has E tires.

Tags
windjammer