Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-05-2021, 05:36 PM   #1

Andersen Weight Distribution Hitch - Too low?

Hi,

I just installed the andersen WDH. can someone tell me if my back is too low? I already maxed out the andersen hitch to the highest. the 4 inc bar. Do I need to call andersen for a 8 inch bar so I can go one higher?

Please advise. or maybe no one is sitting on the front car. that is why its sacking a little? please advise if this is perfect setup.

thank you
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210305_222312369 (1).jpg
Views:	233
Size:	510.4 KB
ID:	248952   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210305_220255529 (1).jpg
Views:	290
Size:	506.4 KB
ID:	248953  
Old 03-05-2021, 05:59 PM   #2
Site Team

Too much rear squat on the truck and too much nose drop on the TT.
But I don't know much about the Andersen. You should definitely contact them.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 07:28 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboyz View Post
Hi,

I just installed the andersen WDH. can someone tell me if my back is too low? I already maxed out the andersen hitch to the highest. the 4 inc bar. Do I need to call andersen for a 8 inch bar so I can go one higher?

Please advise. or maybe no one is sitting on the front car. that is why its sacking a little? please advise if this is perfect setup.

thank you

My opinion is that the trailer looks fine. Being a single axle trailer itís okay to have a small amount of nose squat. I would try to get the hitch to transfer more to the front and thatís only done with the chains. Have you raised the hitch and pickup up with the jack and then tightened the chain screws all the way?
jsh58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 07:35 PM   #4
Brake is on left

The rear of the truck definitely looks low. Did you measure the height of the front fender without the trailer on and then after you were all connected? May need more tension on the chains to load up the front.
The Evil Twin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 08:10 PM   #5

You need way more tension on the chains. Your trucks wheel wells should show the same amount of clearance over the wheels front and back.

As mentioned above, use the tounge jack to lift the rear of the truck up a few inches, then tighten the chains. Or, you can use a breaker bar with the included adaptor when it is under load.

2020 Rockwood Roo 19
2012 F150 SuperCrew Ecoboost
hobienick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 09:00 PM   #6

Follow directions from the hitch you received. I have same hitch on my truck and trailer (geopro) and have no drop in rear of truck.

I believe directions say:
With the truck and trailer leveled (unhitched) the ball should be 1 1/2" higher than the trailer hitch. Then hook up trailer and raise (truck and trailer with tongue jack) about 1" and tighten chains with socket approx. 3-4 turns. Lower tongue jack and the truck and trailer should be level or front of trailer slightly down (measure front and back of trailer - front should be approx 1 inch lower.

I'm telling you all this from memory and not reading directions from the hitch. Refer to the directions for adjustments.
Old 03-05-2021, 09:20 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgstakes View Post
Follow directions from the hitch you received. I have same hitch on my truck and trailer (geopro) and have no drop in rear of truck.

I believe directions say:
With the truck and trailer leveled (unhitched) the ball should be 1 1/2" higher than the trailer hitch. Then hook up trailer and raise (truck and trailer with tongue jack) about 1" and tighten chains with socket approx. 3-4 turns. Lower tongue jack and the truck and trailer should be level or front of trailer slightly down (measure front and back of trailer - front should be approx 1 inch lower.

I'm telling you all this from memory and not reading directions from the hitch. Refer to the directions for adjustments.
Thank you all for the info.
I watch the how to install andersen WDH on youtube and followed it excatly. Maybe i'm missing somehing. So when i lower the trailer to my truck hitch. I lock it up right. then I raise it 1inch then I do the WDH? is that what i'm reading?

Please advise..

thank you
Old 03-05-2021, 09:52 PM   #8

I do not think you need a higher receiver bar. The GeoPro 20BHS comes with a heavy tongue weight and with a battery you will be over 500 lbs empty. Measure the front and rear wheel well height and add a turn to each nut and remeasure. Follow the directions closely.

You will have to pay close attention to loading each vehicle to keep the weight and balance in check.
2016 Vengeance 29V Sold
FrankG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 11:53 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankG View Post
I do not think you need a higher receiver bar. The GeoPro 20BHS comes with a heavy tongue weight and with a battery you will be over 500 lbs empty. Measure the front and rear wheel well height and add a turn to each nut and remeasure. Follow the directions closely.

You will have to pay close attention to loading each vehicle to keep the weight and balance in check.
So my andersen is to the highest bar. So it is ok? All I need is just tighten it one more knock and I should be good?
Old 03-06-2021, 07:37 AM   #10

When you increase the weight transfer to the front of the tow vehicle, it will raise the trailer at the hitch, I am guessing 2 or 3 inches. The truck should not be lower, or squatting in the rear. The truck, both front and rear, should be close to the original position without the trailer attached.
If kgstakes as a picture of his, it might help you, not to often you fine someone with the same truck and trailer...

2019 F150 Extended Cab, STX, 2.7l, 4WD
2021 Flagstaff E-Pro 19 FD
mcbridek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 09:02 AM   #11

Quote:
Thank you all for the info.
I watch the how to install andersen WDH on youtube and followed it excatly. Maybe i'm missing somehing. So when i lower the trailer to my truck hitch. I lock it up right. then I raise it 1inch then I do the WDH? is that what i'm reading?

Please advise..

thank you
Short answer: YES.
Boomerweps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 10:53 AM   #12

Quote:
So my andersen is to the highest bar. So it is ok? All I need is just tighten it one more knock and I should be good?
The main purpose of a WDH is to level out the Tow Vehicle. Moving some of the hitch weight from the rear axel to the front axel of the tow vehicle. Tightening the nuts on the chains will accomplish this. The Anderson hitch is well within its design capacity to handle your tow vehicle / trailer combination. After you have reasonably leveled out (a little sag is OK, rear wheel well .5 to 1 inch lower than unloaded measurement, never higher) your tow vehicle, then look at the levelness of the trailer. Hitch high, lower ball. Hitch low, raise ball. I think the recommendations are to be a bit low.

If you are doing this with a unloaded trailer you will have to relook at it loaded ready to go camping. At some point you may want to get scaled to insure you are within all weight capacities.
2016 Vengeance 29V Sold
FrankG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 11:42 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankG View Post
The main purpose of a WDH is to level out the Tow Vehicle. Moving some of the hitch weight from the rear axel to the front axel of the tow vehicle. Tightening the nuts on the chains will accomplish this. The Anderson hitch is well within its design capacity to handle your tow vehicle / trailer combination. After you have reasonably leveled out (a little sag is OK, rear wheel well .5 to 1 inch lower than unloaded measurement, never higher) your tow vehicle, then look at the levelness of the trailer. Hitch high, lower ball. Hitch low, raise ball. I think the recommendations are to be a bit low.

If you are doing this with a unloaded trailer you will have to relook at it loaded ready to go camping. At some point you may want to get scaled to insure you are within all weight capacities.
ok. I think i got this now.

Currently my trialer is level. So now I pull my truck back to the hitch and load it up the ball. Then I raise it up a little to make sure the truck is level. Then I put on the WDH and tighten it right? is this the correct way to do it.

thank you
Old 03-06-2021, 12:08 PM   #14

Quote:
ok. I think i got this now.

Currently my trialer is level. So now I pull my truck back to the hitch and load it up the ball. Then I raise it up a little to make sure the truck is level. Then I put on the WDH and tighten it right? is this the correct way to do it.

thank you
Not quite. You will want to raise the back of the truck up with the trailer tongue jack after connecting. Then you tighten the WDH chains, then lower and let everything settle. Everything should be level when all settled in. If the truck is not level, then you need to adjust tension on the chains. To get more tension you raise the back of the truck up with the trailer jack and tighten the chains with it raised, then let it back down again.

If your truck is level, and the trailer is not, then you need to raise or lower the WDH head on the stinger to get the trailer level when the truck is level. If you can't find the exact spot to make it level, then you want the next hole lower.

Sequence:
1. Connect trailer to truck, lowering just enough to get the latch on the coupler to engage.
2. Raise back of truck up with trailer tongue jack. You will figure out how much to raise through experience.
3. Attach/tighten weight distribution chains.
4. Lower jack so the pad comes off the ground.
5. Check everything level.
6. If you need to adjust, go back to step 2.

If the truck is level and the trailer is not, then you need to move the WDH head up or down on the stinger (also called shank).

In post #1 it just looks like your chains are not tight enough. You've got a lot of squat on the truck and just a little dip to the front of the trailer.
NavyLCDR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 02:46 PM   #15

I have an Andersen hitch.
On the level, measure the top of the hitch on the trailer. Set the top of the ball at about 1 1/2" to the top of it. Measure your truck front fenders to the ground. Hitch up the trailer, tighten the chains until you get the front fenders back to the same height as when unhitched. It helps to bounce the rear of the truck a couple times inbetween turns on the chains.
If I remember right, this is the correct way to set up the hitch.
If you can't get the ball up to 1 1/2" higher than the trailer hitch, unhitched, then you may need a different shank. Your truck may squat in the rear, but the front will be at the same height as with no trailer hooked up. The trailer should be pretty level if you follow the directions.
jboczek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 04:10 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
Not quite. You will want to raise the back of the truck up with the trailer tongue jack after connecting. Then you tighten the WDH chains, then lower and let everything settle. Everything should be level when all settled in. If the truck is not level, then you need to adjust tension on the chains. To get more tension you raise the back of the truck up with the trailer jack and tighten the chains with it raised, then let it back down again.

If your truck is level, and the trailer is not, then you need to raise or lower the WDH head on the stinger to get the trailer level when the truck is level. If you can't find the exact spot to make it level, then you want the next hole lower.

Sequence:
1. Connect trailer to truck, lowering just enough to get the latch on the coupler to engage.
2. Raise back of truck up with trailer tongue jack. You will figure out how much to raise through experience.
3. Attach/tighten weight distribution chains.
4. Lower jack so the pad comes off the ground.
5. Check everything level.
6. If you need to adjust, go back to step 2.

If the truck is level and the trailer is not, then you need to move the WDH head up or down on the stinger (also called shank).

In post #1 it just looks like your chains are not tight enough. You've got a lot of squat on the truck and just a little dip to the front of the trailer.
Thank you all. i follow the instruction excatly as stated and I think I got the hang of it.

Let me go over on what i did.
1. I measure my truck hitch with nothing on it . example: 21"
2. I raise the tongue up and pull my truck in to latch onto the ball.
3. I lower it and make sure it pushed the truck down a bit. I then lock in the ball barring
4. I hook up the andersen WDH. i follow the instruction make it tight first with hand. then use the socket they provided and put a mark on the socket. and rotate it 4 round.
5. I lower the tongue and take out the andersen red stuff at the bottom.

Please correct me if this is not right. This is what it look like now. Much better right? or still a bit low on the rear side?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210306_185214420.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	465.8 KB
ID:	248988  
Old 03-06-2021, 04:36 PM   #17

You need to first level your trailer and measure from the ground to the top of the hitch where the ball sits. Then set your ball on the truck to where it is 1 - 1 1/2" higher than that measurement. If the trailer hitch is 20" to the top of it, your truck ball should be 21 - 21 1/2" to the top of the ball. Then you can hook up the trailer to the truck so it just sits on the ball, and according to Andersen, hand tighten the nuts on both sides, plus another 4 turns and you're ready to go after you raise the jack.
What do you mean by the "andersen red stuff at the bottom"? The block the jack is sitting on?
jboczek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 04:40 PM   #18

I think that looks better. But is that on a level surface, or is truck on a downhill slope?

It just irks me when I see a vehicle going down the road with the nose up in the air and a great big dip where the trailer hitches to vehicle. I think, "wow, someone really needs a WDH." Then I look and see the WDH and I think, "wow, someone really needs to learn how to adjust and use their WDH."
NavyLCDR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 04:57 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
I think that looks better. But is that on a level surface, or is truck on a downhill slope?

It just irks me when I see a vehicle going down the road with the nose up in the air and a great big dip where the trailer hitches to vehicle. I think, "wow, someone really needs a WDH." Then I look and see the WDH and I think, "wow, someone really needs to learn how to adjust and use their WDH."
on a level surface..
Old 03-07-2021, 08:25 AM   #20

Hey, that looks much better, still seems like the back is a little low, but might be the picture. I used a tape measure and measured wheel well height before adding the trailer and after adding trailer. I got mine back to within 1/4 of an inch. I put small piece of masking tape on the wheel well fender so I had an accurate measuring point. I have a different truck and hitch, but same concept....

2019 F150 Extended Cab, STX, 2.7l, 4WD
2021 Flagstaff E-Pro 19 FD
mcbridek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch, weight, weight distribution hitch