Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2013, 11:32 AM   #1

Another Discussion About Tires

I have read many posts about folks replacing the OEM tires soon after they purchase their rig.

We weighed our rig at a truck stop on a recent trip. The 5th wheel and truck were loaded the way we would be traveling normally. The weights were:
Front axle 4,720
Rear axle 4,780
Trailer axle 7,380

We have the OEM tires, ST225/75R15, load range C. There tires are rated at 2,150 each, which provides 8,600 pounds of load capacity. I see 1,220 of excess capacity (8,600-7,380=1,220).

Am I missing something, or are we okay?

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:36 AM   #2
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5er_tom View Post
I have read many posts about folks replacing the OEM tires soon after they purchase their rig.

We weighed our rig at a truck stop on a recent trip. The 5th wheel and truck were loaded the way we would be traveling normally. The weights were:
Front axle 4,720
Rear axle 4,780
Trailer axle 7,380

We have the OEM tires, ST225/75R15, load range C. There tires are rated at 2,150 each, which provides 8,600 pounds of load capacity. I see 1,220 of excess capacity (8,600-7,380=1,220).

Am I missing something, or are we okay?
I would replace them, too close to the capacity for me.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:48 AM   #3

It is 15% excess capacity. That should be a safe, comfortable, margin. Time may prove me wrong, but my plan is to stay with these tires at least for this summer.

Old 03-21-2013, 12:39 PM   #4
Wanna Be Camper

seems fine to me as well, I would just make sure you keep the pressures right and stay under 65 and buy a set of tire covers to put on them when you are not using the trailer and they should last ok.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:48 PM   #5

We have a tire pressure monitoring system so it is easy to watch tire pressures. I keep them @ the 50psi recommended on the sidewall.

My understanding is that tires are manufactured with chemicals that help with the weathering process, and that tire covers are not necessary. Perhaps I am wrong.

Old 03-21-2013, 01:01 PM   #6
Wanna Be Camper

Quote:
We have a tire pressure monitoring system so it is easy to watch tire pressures. I keep them @ the 50psi recommended on the sidewall.

My understanding is that tires are manufactured with chemicals that help with the weathering process, and that tire covers are not necessary. Perhaps I am wrong.
The makeup of the tires is such that as they flex it keeps the protectants moving in the rubber but when the trailer sits the surface will dry out and then there is no protection thus cracking starts. Covers are always a good idea when the trailer sits, FWIW we have the TST tire monitor system on our trailer and I always carry a temp gun and test the tire tread surface temp as well as axles and brake temp at every stop.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 01:26 PM   #7

The load range of the tire is ok, it is the quality of the OEM tire that is doubtful. They don't always explode, but it does seem to happen far too often, and the resulting damage is considerable.
We swapped ours out right away, and since the extra cost for D-rated tires was minimal, we figured it was cheap insurance.
You could get away with running the OEM tires if you bought a TPMS, as that would at least prevent you from tearing up the camper with a blowout, hopefully.
The TPMS systems are not that expensive, and give great peace of mind while travelling.
Oops, I see you have one! My bad.
You should be ok.
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 01:33 PM   #8
daydreaming about camping

Quote:
It is 15% excess capacity. That should be a safe, comfortable, margin. Time may prove me wrong, but my plan is to stay with these tires at least for this summer.
15% looks like a good margin. If you were going to load heavier it would be different, but if that is your real camping weight, that sounds fine.

Most people are concerned about the overall quality (or lack thereof) with the OEM tires as opposed to the weight rating. Some people have posted where their listed GVWR would exceed the OEM tires.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote