Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-18-2020, 02:45 PM   #1

Another Pex Question

Got my Pex tool comin' thanks to help from this forum...

Question on Pex line though. I have little to almost no Pex plumbing experience, 'cept for eliminating that dang black tank flush anti siphon ck vlv on our last trailer, a 2109s, also got rid of it on our current 2205s BUT did not use a Sharkbite on the 2205s, just a barbed push lock union.

The reason, and also to my question on Pex line, that line simply looked like braided vinyl line and I fought with the Sharkbite fttg to go over the outside diameter of the viny on the 2109s.

Pex O.D. appears smaller where that sharkbite woulda' went right over.

All clamps on both trailers are pex cinch style, but is the line called Pex?

My current issue on our 2205s is the small leak on my hot water bypass line, which appears to be braided vinyl line that is flexible due to it bending from around hot water htr to the bypass valve.

So is that braided line Pex or what is it called?

Thanks!!
6CatDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 02:57 PM   #2

No, the braided line is NOT Pex...Pex is solid color and not very flexible (at least in comparison to that braided line).

The braided line is reinforced PVC tubing and *should* use barbed fitting with a "standard" worm-gear hose clamp...but in most RVs you will see them using Pex crimps.
Kcoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 03:16 PM   #3
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kcoulter View Post
No, the braided line is NOT Pex...Pex is solid color and not very flexible (at least in comparison to that braided line).

The braided line is reinforced PVC tubing and *should* use barbed fitting with a "standard" worm-gear hose clamp...but in most RVs you will see them using Pex crimps.
Correct.
The factory simply uses PEX style clamps on both PEX line and braided line for speed and economy.

PEX Line...

Nylon reinforced PVC braided line (Not PEX)

Here is a photo of a mixture of the two... Different hoses/lines... same clamp...

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 05:00 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6CatDaddy View Post
My current issue on our 2205s is the small leak on my hot water bypass line, which appears to be braided vinyl line that is flexible due to it bending from around hot water htr to the bypass valve.

I yesterday discovered a slight leak on the back side of the water heater on my 2205s while the tank was cold. The leak stopped when the water was hot. I removed all water pressure after cold again and was able to tighten the fittings on the bypass slightly (less than 1/8 of a turn). After reapplying pressure while still cold I let it sit for hours. No leaks. Before you reengineer your connections, give my fix a try.
Past: 2018 Flagstaff MicroLite 21FBRS
Past: 2005 Flagstaff Classic 625D
TV: 2016 Ford F-150 3.5 EcoBoost
marinerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 11:47 AM   #5

You can use regular stainless steel hose clamps on Pex as well as the braided hose. They work fine and in tight spaces is all you can use.
Mandog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 05:13 PM   #6

Thanks for replies!

Excellent info given!

Thanks for your time!

(I was able to stop my leak on the back of the hot water tk on the hot side shut off, when my new pex clamp tool showed up, I put it on the pex clamp leaking and got a little more clamping squeeze and it stopped the drip!!)

WooHoo!

Now, winterize and put away for the winter.
6CatDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 08:20 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandog View Post
You can use regular stainless steel hose clamps on Pex as well as the braided hose. They work fine and in tight spaces is all you can use.
I wouldn’t trust hose clamps on pex line. The pros warn against it. Pex is quite rigid and hose clamps form a slightly oblong circle when tightened. Hose clamps work fine on the more flexible braided line though.
Roaminaround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 08:51 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaminaround View Post
I wouldn’t trust hose clamps on pex line. The pros warn against it. Pex is quite rigid and hose clamps form a slightly oblong circle when tightened. Hose clamps work fine on the more flexible braided line though.

X2
Hose clamps will not work on pex pipe . I went cheap and purchased one of these crimping tools, you need a vise grip to make it work.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5004.JPG
Views:	191
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	243360
Old 11-19-2020, 09:10 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrew View Post
X2
Hose clamps will not work on pex pipe . I went cheap and purchased one of these crimping tools, you need a vise grip to make it work.Attachment 243360
Interesting tool. I've never seen one. It might even work better in some tight situations.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 09:28 PM   #10

Picked it up at HomeDepot or Lowe’s can’t remember. It crimps the solid ring type clamps.
I found crimping a clamp twice works perfect.
Old 03-24-2021, 06:51 PM   #11

PEX issues

I am creating an emergency kit for when we are on the road and encounter camper problems. The only neglected area was plumbing. So, I am in the process of getting most of what I would need for when I hopefully will never need it.
I inventoried every connection on our 2018 2504s mini lite. Got PEX, the tool, a good assortment of fittings and valves In the photos above by another poster you will see PEX pipe(tube)and reinforced vinyl hose intermixed on the same connections. Some connections because of space, vibration, tight turns...
That is the same setup I have. 1/2" PEX pipe mixed with reinforced 1/2" flexible hose. The problem I have is with the vinyl hose. It is 1/2" ID, but I have yet to find a hose with an OD that the 1/2" PEX cinch clamps will fit over. Physically went to over a dozen suppliers, searched the internet and even spoke with a few manufacturers. I tried both Apollo and Sharkbite clamps.

Anyone know if Forest River has a secret to getting the clamp to slide on the hose, or does anyone know where I can get some that has the correct 1/2" ID and supporting OD. Thank you
tonyrico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 07:12 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyrico View Post
I am creating an emergency kit for when we are on the road and encounter camper problems. The only neglected area was plumbing. So, I am in the process of getting most of what I would need for when I hopefully will never need it.
I inventoried every connection on our 2018 2504s mini lite. Got PEX, the tool, a good assortment of fittings and valves In the photos above by another poster you will see PEX pipe(tube)and reinforced vinyl hose intermixed on the same connections. Some connections because of space, vibration, tight turns...
That is the same setup I have. 1/2" PEX pipe mixed with reinforced 1/2" flexible hose. The problem I have is with the vinyl hose. It is 1/2" ID, but I have yet to find a hose with an OD that the 1/2" PEX cinch clamps will fit over. Physically went to over a dozen suppliers, searched the internet and even spoke with a few manufacturers. I tried both Apollo and Sharkbite clamps.

Anyone know if Forest River has a secret to getting the clamp to slide on the hose, or does anyone know where I can get some that has the correct 1/2" ID and supporting OD. Thank you
That vinyl tube is really not supposed to be clamped with a PEX tool. PEX tools, fittings and clamps are calibrated for the ID and OD of PEX tubing which is CTS. Vinyl is not. I know RV manufactures do it all the time but let's not look to them for how to do things properly. A real plumber would never do that in your home in a wall. My advice would be to bring along some screw clamps if you're worried about springing leaks on vinyl tube connections..

2006 Dynamax Isata IE 250
420 Ah batteries
400w Solar
eric1514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 07:56 PM   #13

Worm gear clamps. A couple of sizes fits most. Only need a screwdriver. Perfect for RV plumbing contingency situations.

2018 Avenger ATI 27RBS
BriaBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 08:52 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriaBeck View Post
Worm gear clamps. A couple of sizes fits most. Only need a screwdriver. Perfect for RV plumbing contingency situations.

Yup.

2006 Dynamax Isata IE 250
420 Ah batteries
400w Solar
eric1514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 11:48 AM   #15

Worm Gears/PEX/Braided hose

Yes, it seems that worm gears may be the only solution. My concern was that typically the fittings that flex hose goes on and is held by worm gears have sharp ridges that keep the hose from wanting to slide off, where PEX fitting have flat ridges. The fact that in the plumbing of some campers, both PEX and Braided hose are interconnected on the same fittings, such as "tees" and elbows. Either way one of the two are not as designed, but thanks.
I will say that one poster said that some 1/2" PES crimp clamps have the same 1/2" ID but can accommodate a larger OD. I believe he wrote that it is #185 instead of #175 and is available on Amazon. I didn't check. and, don't know what 175 is anyway.

Looks like worm gears.
tonyrico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 12:23 PM   #16

Again interesting timing
I too wanted to put together a small emergency kit for repair. There was a older video on youtube that showed the small parts and items one should carry for just an emergency posted by an RV Plumber Tech. I tried to write down all the items and could not, so I wrote the guy his response :

RV Tech
I am going to give you descriptions of the popular Flair It fittings that are easy to use and don’t require any specialty tools to install them.

3/8” and ½” pex tubing are the most common and then ¾’ , you might check you RV to see if you have any ¾” you might not.

5’ 3/8 pex tubing
5’ ½ pex tubing
Tee (pex x pex x pex) 3/8 and ½
Coupler (pex x pex) 3/8 and ½
Coupler (pex x ½ male pipe thread) 3/8 and ½
Couple (pex x ½ female pipe thread) 3/8 and ½
Female Caps ½ and 3/8 these can be used with a coupler to close off a line in an emergency
90 degree elbow (pex x pex) ½ only
90 degree elbow (pex x ½ female pipe thread) ½ only
Maybe a shut off valve ½ x ½

2019 57:2020 20:2021 30:2022 46:2023 47:2024 7
robo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 02:32 PM   #17

What size cinch clamps is forest river using in the factory to connect vinyl tubing to PEX fittings??
Thanks
Steve
sk734 is offline   Reply With Quote